Apex warning (and tank emergency)

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I physically pull the power cable on my apex for 10 seconds once a month, not the reset button, sorry should have been clear as both are options.
Could you further clarify, please? Do you mean that you pull the low voltage power supply to the "apex brain" from a wall outlet and, if you do not have a low voltage power supply would removing the aquabus cable do the same thing?

srusso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you further clarify, please? Do you mean that you pull the low voltage power supply to the "apex brain" from a wall outlet and, if you do not have a low voltage power supply would removing the aquabus cable do the same thing?
I think they are referring to a factory reset. Basically getting the unit cleared of all settings and reset everything the way you needed it again. It's a common step used in troubleshooting technology, a way of starting from the beginning. I would look it up in the manual and follow the steps.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally pull the power cable on the Apex brain itself. This allows the brain to reset, but not clear any settings, similar to how we have to shut our computers down once or twice a week just to keep things running smoothly.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally pull the power cable on the Apex brain itself. This allows the brain to reset, but not clear any settings, similar to how we have to shut our computers down once or twice a week just to keep things running smoothly.
Roger that. Thank you for the clarification.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SO - I have had a tank with an apex set up for 3 years. Have a generator (natural gas) Left on vacation yesterday - No alerts from apex. Get a call from the house sitter - the water in the tank seems 'cold'. She failed to mention that none of the pumps or lights were working. Eventually got those details out of her. Needless to say there was power to the apex and ebb, the outlet was working there was no power outage (i.e. none of the clocks were reset in the rest of the house). Fusion was connected. No firmware was updated. Nothing was touched on the apex. Looking at the lights on the apex - all of the lights were the correct colors - including on the EBB. All of the connections were tight.

Needless to say - the temp in the tank was down to 71, there were 2 dead fish (gold flake angel and an anther). Plugging the equipment into a regular outlet (ie removing the equipment from the Apex Energy Bar) And plugging all of the equipment into a new surge suppressor resulted in all of the equipment turning on and working correctly. It seems that the Energy bar failed somehow - but the apex thought everything was ok.

This has also been reported on the Neptune systems board. Why do these things always happen when you're on vacation...?

Im assuming I will be coming home to dead SPS and probably more dead fish. I have relied less and less on my apex controller - using it only to plug things into and monitor the tank (ph, temp, etc) - I let the lights and max gyre run with their own equipment rather than rely on the apex modules. This is the third Apex failure I've had - never again.

Edited to clarify that the changing from the energy bar to a surge suppressor plugged into the same outlet left all the equipment working. Unplugging the apex and ebb and resetting and again trying to plug anything into the ebb resulted in no power to that device despite it being listed is on I. Fusion. I left all the equipment on the surge suppressor without the apex and everything is workibg

Update: one coral lost a branch (necrosis). The rest of the remaining fish, coral including the gonipora are all doing well.

Here is the story of the apex. When I plugged the Apex in - the lights were orange. All 8 lights on the EB were lit. When I plug anything into any of the outlets, there is no power present. I am not able to reconnect to fusion despite resetting multiple times. On fusion page, I can see the last settings of all of the outlets - and they are all on 'Auto' which is how they should be. I did press the reset button on the Energy Bar - which did not make any change. Any suggestions? (am going to call Neptune later)

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: one coral lost a branch (necrosis). The rest of the remaining fish, coral including the gonipora are all doing well.

Here is the story of the apex. When I plugged the Apex in - the lights were orange. All 8 lights on the EB were lit. When I plug anything into any of the outlets, there is no power present. I am not able to reconnect to fusion despite resetting multiple times. On fusion page, I can see the last settings of all of the outlets - and they are all on 'Auto' which is how they should be. I did press the reset button on the Energy Bar - which did not make any change. Any suggestions? (am going to call Neptune later)
This sounds like contacting Neptune will be the only solution. you are going to likely have to send in your eb8. Time to set everything up old school with a standard power strip and timers.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This sounds like contacting Neptune will be the only solution. you are going to likely have to send in your eb8. Time to set everything up old school with a standard power strip and timers.
thanks. that was done last week. I will never use apex again. I do want to figure out how to get it set up to monitor ph etc. But I have decreased met reliance on apex un general - it will be further reduced.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I apologize if this was already answered. Several people have suggested resetting the Apex brain, either with the button or by uplugging it briefly. Have you tried doing that? The reset button has worked for me in the past.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I apologize if this was already answered. Several people have suggested resetting the Apex brain, either with the button or by uplugging it briefly. Have you tried doing that? The reset button has worked for me in the past.
it changed nothing

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes - unfortunately several times - tried a different outlet etc.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update - some corals are showing signs of stress. I found a big 'piece' of necrosis on a montipora that is 15 inches in diameter. It actually looked like an anemone had sat in the middle of it. But clearly that was not the case lol. Another piece of acorapora had 1 limb necroses - but the rest of it looks ok. Just reporting because its interesting to see how parts live and parts die in the same tank. Will measure parameters tomorrow

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
get in contact with neptune yet?
no - actually - im kind of giving up on apex. My apex classic that I have on my discus tank has been flawless. the 2016 model not so much

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update. My large mobtipora 2 feet in diameter developed ten or brown jelly disease that wasn’t brown. Lol. Broke it up into several pieces. Hope some will make. It. Fish are fine. Called apex today told to email. Emailed all of the details. They responded asking all of the questions I answered in my original email. But it was a prompt reply. More to follow

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update - Working with Apex - They said it was a unit that has an early serial number - they cant connect in to it - because their browser utility doesnt see it on the network. Could have been a problem with 'the brain' or the 'energy bar'. I am trying to find an adapter to plug the 'brain' into its own electrical supply - if it is still not visible - will need to send both in with RMA's. Fish are all ok - Coral death which was minimal - has stopped. All LPS is doing well. There is some increased skimmer output and some cyano which is new.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update The Apex and EBB are into Neptune for repair. Their customer service is excellent overall. New Update - when removing the Apex - I accicently flipped the surge suppressor controlling the return pump...... for 24 hours. So - we're about to see how tolerant SPS and LPS are (at least the ones in my tank) for the second time.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fyi - there was a 'bad part' in the apex brain and the ebb. Per Neptune "Unfortunately we do not have what could have caused the damage. these components were bad after replacing them they passed all tests".

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update - got the Apex and EBB back yesterday - not thrilled with the time it took for the repairs - but part of it was shipping. In any case was happy with Neptune. As luck would have it (oe not) - the last episode has claimed all of my large montipora - all the LPS looks fine. Fish are fine. Acros are fine. Leaving town again - not going to start up the apex again until back home lol;)

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an adventure, hope it all goes well. If youre gunna part with it, hit me up and ill set it up as an extra fancy PH controller :p

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What an adventure, hope it all goes well. If youre gunna part with it, hit me up and ill set it up as an extra fancy PH controller :p
LOL - thats all I use it for. :). Sold all the modules on ebay a while ago - the maxspect and radions work best with their own software anyway

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back