ApexEL or classic

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into moving away from my DIY tank automation to a purpose built system.

Currently, i can get a used classic with EB8 for about 300ish. some have probes, some have displays but they all seem to fall right around there +- 4o bucks or so.

Alternatively i can get a ApexEL for 500. I don't need the VDM right now, i'll use my existing controller for the 0-10v lighting control. (the standard apex is out of reach for now)

geek in me says get the EL. latest and greatest. will be compatible with all future modules. the new EB is wicked cool.

cheapskate in me says to get the classic.

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the EL only has 1 PH probe port. I didn’t realize this till after buying one.

Mike Dabney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a used classic so that I could get everything that I wanted now and will upgrade the apex to the new apex after I've gotten the modules and accessories I need.

OP
OP
link81

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a used classic so that I could get everything that I wanted now and will upgrade the apex to the new apex after I've gotten the modules and accessories I need.

thats what I did also. I found an apex classic with feeder, wdk and display. for a good price. couldn't pass it up.
if I decide there there is something I need the new one for, I can upgrade later. as cool as that 832 bar is.....

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford the EL, that is the way I would go. Neptune has already reduced production of replacement parts for the Classic and Jr, so you would be getting something that has already been phased out.

Mike Dabney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The EL didn't have the vdm an multiple probe connections that I needed, there was that consideration too.

OP
OP
link81

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RussM Thanks senior. MM(n)/SS Here. Uss Ohio (back when she was a BN)

I will most likely either go full apex or whatever the next gen is. I just can't justify spending a grand on a controller for the tank now. I'll cut my teeth with the classic, and see if I can make it do what I want it to do. (I program building automation systems for a living, line by line code is what pays the bills)

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already had $300-400 for a new controller I would just wait and save up for the new full Apex. The EL is good for a smaller tank or a newer reefer with simple setups. You could always get the EL and upgrade later but kind of a waste imo.

JS_racer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 tanks here, needed 2 controllers. ( debated both on one,)
I went with 2 used local classics, 2 eb8 each, new probes for a pinch over 500$ 2 displays as well.

I was leaning towards the el, but wanted my tunze controlled as well, so more modules, and a few more $
Since my current controllers were still going strong, i was struggling a bit but the used price was a good way to get my feet wet.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back