Apogee Instruments PAR Meter

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received the latest iteration of Apogee's MQ-510 PAR meter. The sensor is now blue to indicate it is the best to use for LED (and other) light sources. Apparently this was done to avoid confusion when dealing with multiple sensors in research applications. Although I own a $1,500 Li-Cor meter and underwater sensor, this Apogee unit is my go-to device. This sensor is cosine-corrected and fully submersible. The meter reports PAR that is corrected for the immersion effect. What I really like is how easy it is to log light intensity data. It takes measurements every 30 seconds when in log mode and averages these every 30 minutes. It can store 99 averaged measurements. This is what PAR (or correctly, PPFD) looks like in my reef tank. Love this meter!
upload_2019-7-12_16-29-7.png

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. But why the big jump before it ramps down?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’ll be traveling around and doing par testing for us correct ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious It’s a sweet setup I’ve been eyeballing one for a bit now. Good to know you like it so much!

U

User1

View Badges
Not to sign up for work but just wondering how say the Seneye and this specific unit compares?

Obviously there is a hobby and job difference here but am wondering how the two compare.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sign up for work but just wondering how say the Seneye and this specific unit compares?

Obviously there is a hobby and job difference here but am wondering how the two compare.
Ah good question! I would be interested as well.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
[...]
This is what PAR (or correctly, PPFD) looks like in my reef tank. Love this meter!

@Dana Riddle - thank you for the work that you do in support of R2R and the hobby! After seeing the graph that you provided I am curious to know what lighting you use on the tank where you tested the meter and what was the depth of the sensor? TIA

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review @Dana Riddle. I have been thinking about getting a 510, as we recently moved and everything has been redone on all the tanks. The logging feature you mentioned is wonderful and would be very useful in determining how long I want to hold peak and how my peak is affected by the program changes on my gyres. I had not read about that feature and you pointing it out made my day.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. But why the big jump before it ramps down?
The local coral shop (a good one!) let me monitor PAR over the course of their photoperiod. I matched it to avoid light shock and am now raising the light intensity, hence the spike at the end of the day. I did this at the end of the photoperiod since protective xanthophylls are ramped up (even if slightly) and can handle the increase. Or so the theory goes...

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review @Dana Riddle. I have been thinking about getting a 510, as we recently moved and everything has been redone on all the tanks. The logging feature you mentioned is wonderful and would be very useful in determining how long I want to hold peak and how my peak is affected by the program changes on my gyres. I had not read about that feature and you pointing it out made my day.
The 510 isn't inexpensive, but considering the price of some of the frags on the market, I consider it an investment. It's a great instrument. Data that has been stored can be downloaded via a cable, or scrolled through and recorded manually.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle - thank you for the work that you do in support of R2R and the hobby! After seeing the graph that you provided I am curious to know what lighting you use on the tank where you tested the meter and what was the depth of the sensor? TIA
The 120 has two distinct light fields. The entire tank is illuminated with 2 Orphek 48" LED strip lights which provides enough light for just about any coral at about 18" depth (where the sensor was placed.). A Noopysche K7 Pro illuminates the right hand side of the tank (in addition to the Orpheks) and provides extra punch for corals that can handle that much light.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 510 isn't inexpensive, but considering the price of some of the frags on the market, I consider it an investment. It's a great instrument. Data that has been stored can be downloaded via a cable, or scrolled through and recorded manually.
I would have to agree about it being an investment. Especially since I may be going from mh to T5/led on my sps tank. Last thing I want to do is just swap and not have before and after data to gauge what is what and kill everything lol.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree about it being an investment. Especially since I may be going from mh to T5/led on my sps tank. Last thing I want to do is just swap and not have before and after data to gauge what is what and kill everything lol.
I've never bleached a coral when having its lighting history in hand. Considering some of these frags are $100 each, the Apogee meter will indeed pay for itself!

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running 2 Hamilton technology bulbs. 250watts in 20k. I am thinking of trying out some Orpheks. I was going to borrow my clubs par meter and get some numbers from my halides then rent the one from BRS to match the leds closely to the par numbers from my halides. My thinking is like Steve’s....try to match up some numbers to not fry my tank!

Corey

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t swing the extra cash for a 510, but I just bought a 210. Very helpful when running a T5/led hybrid setup.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back