Aptaisia a vs. Wicked Laser

  • Thread starter Thread starter jbrady429
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jbrady429

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2014
Messages
861
Reaction score
153
Location
Huntsville, AL
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been fighting with aptaisia for some time. After having no luck with chemical treatments, I decided to try something I saw on YouTube: a class IV hand-held laser.

I used a 1 watt blue laser from Wicked Lasers with a 125mm focusing lens. All aptaisias that I could get directly at the base with the laser (either dead-on through the oral disk or from the side) were very quickly turned into a fried blob of ex-aptaisia jellly. All traces of the former pests has completely disappeared within a day or two. I must say that this is an extremely effective method of eradication!

There are a couple of very important safety items to mention, though. First, if you're going to try this you MUST use safety goggles specific to that type of laser. Everyone else in the room must wear them as well whenever the laser is on. These types of lasers WILL cause serious and permanent eye damage, including blindness. This can result even from reflected and scattered laser light. Second, you must be extremely careful not to hit your fish, corals, or other inverts (with either the direct or reflected beam). They will experience much more serious damage faster than you will.

Given the proper safety precautions and careful use, I highly recommend this method! Check out the videos on YouTube (posted by others--not me) if you're interested. Just search for "aptaisia laser".

Happy reefing!
 
3 peppermint shrimp in my tank have devoured at least 30 in the first week of having the shrimp. as of now like 2 or 3 weeks later I dont even see 1 aptasia anywhere.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new