Aptasia eater

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I found two pieces of aptasia in my tank and I’m sure more is to be found soon.
I was wondering would a filefish or Copperband be a good way of removing the aptasia. And would they eat corals or is it a more unlikely thing.
Is there a better way to remove them I have seen inject boiling water into them or inject lemon juice, kalk slurry, Aiptasia-x, F-aiptasia could work. Would this damage nearby corals I have aptasia in between 2 zoas
I have a 75 gallon, with about a 50/50 of softies and lps.
Thanks.

GFX360x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see 2, there are probably more. I just recently went through an aiptasia explosion in my tank. I ended up getting some berghia nudi's and they have cleared the issue up. Peppermint shrimp and copperbands can and will eat aiptasia, but not reliably enough to count on. More often than not, they are used to eating fish food and will continue that habit. Berghia's only eat aiptasia and will die in 5-7 days when there is none left.

Start with super glue or joe's juice, or whatever method you want if the problem is small. I tried the super glue they'd disappear and without fail, they would pop back up a week or two later.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I found two pieces of aptasia in my tank and I’m sure more is to be found soon.
I was wondering would a filefish or Copperband be a good way of removing the aptasia. And would they eat corals or is it a more unlikely thing.
Is there a better way to remove them I have seen inject boiling water into them or inject lemon juice, kalk slurry, Aiptasia-x, F-aiptasia could work. Would this damage nearby corals I have aptasia in between 2 zoas
I have a 75 gallon, with about a 50/50 of softies and lps.
Thanks.
For two, I would not go out and get Berghia, or leather file. File will sooner or later turn on coral and Copperband is hit and miss. Keep it simple: Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would injecting hurt the coral it is directly in-between zoas, I too the photo at night so the aptasia is more visible, the zoas are open otherwise

IMG_7764.jpeg

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few come in on my live rock. I bought a Peppermint Shrimp and after a couple weeks all of them were gone.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had my reef tank for like 8 years and never saw any Aiptasia. Then something I added brought them in. Next thing they were growing everywhere. I tried Franks Aiptasia X which just seemed to tick them off. I added numerous peppermint Shrimp from Reef Cleaners that kind of worked but the Shrimp kept dying. Then I added a Copper Band Butterfly. He ate them all and I haven't seen one in my display since. I do find them in my overflow.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my reef tank for like 8 years and never saw any Aiptasia. Then something I added brought them in. Next thing they were growing everywhere. I tried Franks Aiptasia X which just seemed to tick them off. I added numerous peppermint Shrimp from Reef Cleaners that kind of worked but the Shrimp kept dying. Then I added a Copper Band Butterfly. He ate them all and I haven't seen one in my display since. I do find them in my overflow.
You was thinking of getting a Copperband, I’ve wanted one since I was researching having a reef tank but been put off from their feeding difficulty. I might try one if I find one in my lfs that is eating well.

Do they have a problem with corals, or clean up crew.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine eats like a pig, he isn't shy like you hear. When I feed he's right in the crowd with my Powder Blue Tang, Fox Face, Clown and other fish fighting for food.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats like a pig, he isn't shy like you hear. When I feed he's right in the crowd with my Powder Blue Tang, Fox Face, Clown and other fish fighting for food.
Does he bother corals/clean up crew

If I get one would it be likely that the Copperband eats corals.
Thanks

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cooperbands can get big and a 75g is on the smaller end, would need to think about tankmates due to territory but ours have taken care of all the aiptasia in the display. F-Aiptasia works great

Ours never touched coral or inverts, never touched BTA’s

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For two, I would not go out and get Berghia, or leather file. File will sooner or later turn on coral and Copperband is hit and miss. Keep it simple: Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
I agree with this and would add F-Aiptasia as a remedy that is comparable to the kalkwasser paste.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back