Aptasia issue

Nmaran72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my issue. My tank was fallow from may to aug. aug I added 3 fish that were qt. 2 clown fish and a goby. I have not added anything since. In November I fought bubble break out and now is gone. And now I’m fighting an aptasia outbreak. I’ve been blasting it with kalk but it seems to be spreading. How does this happen when you are not introducing anything to the tank. And what can I add to eat this crap.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? I tried everything and the only thing that eradicated them was a Copperband Butterfly. Over 100 Aiptasia gone in 3 days.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then at least the babies were in your DT.
peps usually work for smaller ones, I just kept hitting them with Apastia X every time I seen one.
Took about 6 months, knockoff 2-3 week, Have not seen any in the last three weeks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is definite answer:
Kleini Butterfly. This fish will mow down the aptasia. After aptasia is gone, will eat everything offered in terms of food, Friendly, does not bother coral and nice colors.
I have three kleinis', three tanks and NO Aptasia

OP
OP
Nmaran72

Nmaran72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 60 gal aio with a 45 gal display.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is definite answer:
Kleini Butterfly. This fish will mow down the aptasia. After aptasia is gone, will eat everything offered in terms of food, Friendly, does not bother coral and nice colors.

Same here with using a Kleini.

Last edited:

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is definite answer:

That's a beautiful fish! Do you have leathers or LPS? I don't keep SPS...yet. But I do have some soft corals and leathers seem to like me. LA lists it as not reef safe but real life experience is a great thing.

TIA

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's a beautiful fish! Do you have leathers or LPS? I don't keep SPS...yet. But I do have some soft corals and leathers seem to like me. LA lists it as not reef safe but real life experience is a great thing.

TIA
Both. I have 3 tanks- One in each tank ( All mixed reefs)

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealt with an Aiptasia problem until I did the following (from lots of research)

* wipe out the med-lrg sized Aiptasia with AiptasiaX.... because Copperbanded Butterflies will NOT eat med-lrg sized ones because the tentacles STINGS their eyes.

* after wiping out med-lrg sized ones (which may take a few times) in conjunction buy a Medium sized Copperbanded Butterfly. They WILL eat the baby to small sized Aiptasia as you handle the med-lrg ones.

* may take 3-4 months BUT once the only ones growing back are baby Aiptasia the CBB will eat them. Eventually they will be non existent in your tank.

P a t i e n c e

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Aiptasia-X works good. But, if you want to get rid of every SCRAP of Aiptasia, go with Berghia nudibranchs. They ONLY eat Aiptasia!! Then you can pass onto other hobbyists with Aiptasia.

OP
OP
Nmaran72

Nmaran72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious as to how it gets in a system when nothing is being added

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Just so everyone knows I'm not crapping on anyone who uses AipX or kalk. Maybe it works just fine and I'm an idiot.) My experience with AiptasiaX was not great. When my Aips were around 10-20 I started using it and at first I thought "this stuff is great, aiptasia aint so tough". Then they came back and I fooled myself into thinking they were ones I must've missed. Dosed again and sure enough they were back in a few weeks. Rinse and repeat until 10-20 has become a full on invasion from tank to sump. I think that AipX and kalk can be effective if you can destroy the ENTIRE thing, but if not any scrap can regenerate a whole, so very easy for 1 to become 2 or even 5.
I was at tank tear down levels and a thought crossed my mind "will my wife still love me if she sees me crying about this tank?". Lucky for me though, there was an incredibly effective solution available: nudibranchs. They made short work of every Aip in site and for maybe 6-7 months I didn't see any. They did come back after that so I unleashed another smaller nudibranch mercenary team in there and tank's been clean ever since. I'm sure it's not 100%, but this for me it's manageable. -A

Last edited:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious as to how it gets in a system when nothing is being added

It usually comes in on live rock and/or frags.

I cured two tanks of aiptasia with ORA filefish. I tried aiptasiaX (that irritated my nems), I tried kalk and even one of those lasers. The only thing these things did was irritate the aiptasia, which is basically an anemone. You irritate a nem and it splits. Same applies to aiptasia but they do it tenfold. I'd kalk one big one and within days I'd have dozens. Finally added a pair of ORA Filefish to both tanks and within 10 days aiptasia was gone. From what ORA told me, filefish are shy and eat at night and it could take up to two weeks to start seeing results. Since then they are model citizens and don't pick at any coral.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealt with an Aiptasia problem until I did the following (from lots of research)

* wipe out the med-lrg sized Aiptasia with AiptasiaX.... because Copperbanded Butterflies will NOT eat med-lrg sized ones because the tentacles STINGS their eyes.

* after wiping out med-lrg sized ones (which may take a few times) in conjunction buy a Medium sized Copperbanded Butterfly. They WILL eat the baby to small sized Aiptasia as you handle the med-lrg ones.

* may take 3-4 months BUT once the only ones growing back are baby Aiptasia the CBB will eat them. Eventually they will be non existent in your tank.

P a t i e n c e

?? Mine consumed ones that were at least 2". Must have been hungry or blind.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is definite answer:

So, I took vetteguy's advice and bought an Kleini Butterfly from LA. It was labled as an "Orange Butterfly" but goes by a couple of different names. I also really wanted the butterfly!

I received it Wednesday morning and expected no issues but my Tomini Tang was not happy. He charged the butterfly but fell short of nipping or using his tail. Today things are much more calm and everybody is getting used to the new fish. He looks beatiful IMO.

I was watching him this morning and low and behold.....he's eating aiptasia! I have leathers, zoas, palys, acans and no problem so far. I'll keep an eye on him but what a great solution to aiptasia.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So, I took vetteguy's advice and bought an Kleini Butterfly from LA. It was labled as an "Orange Butterfly" but goes by a couple of different names. I also really wanted the butterfly!

I received it Wednesday morning and expected no issues but my Tomini Tang was not happy. He charged the butterfly but fell short of nipping or using his tail. Today things are much more calm and everybody is getting used to the new fish. He looks beatiful IMO.

I was watching him this morning and low and behold.....he's eating aiptasia! I have leathers, zoas, palys, acans and no problem so far. I'll keep an eye on him but what a great solution to aiptasia.
You got a winner and will never see aptasia again

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to LA’s website, the fish Labelled “orange butterfly” is marked as “not reef safe” as they are known for eating especially leathers and some other polyps of corals.

They add that leathers are part of their natural diet.

Coral World says the same.

Keep well fed may avoid coral munching...and maybe this description is in error.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 55.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back