Aptasia

I used to use kalk and sodium hydroxide mixed together. It seemed to help a lot until more showed up. I went with a Matted Filefish and I have not seen any more of them in the tank. He did eat a couple of Zoas, then left everything else alone. They are cool fish too!
 
I recommend going with the File Fish (could be a bit pricey depending on your location); HOWEVER, they do work...I do not see any Aptasia in my display tank anymore...My filefish I think is trained to eat both flake and pellet's and he is doing just fine...I had him for almost 6 months...
 
I recommend going with the File Fish (could be a bit pricey depending on your location); HOWEVER, they do work...I do not see any Aptasia in my display tank anymore...My filefish I think is trained to eat both flake and pellet's and he is doing just fine...I had him for almost 6 months...
A counter-point

I got a CB filefish from Biota that hasn't touched the few aiptasia I have. It has munched on some leather coral polyps.
 
I used red sea aptasia X, highly not recommended. When those little suckers implode they release spores into the water and bam, you've got a never ending battle. I would definitely go the filefish route or something that eliminates the possibility of spores being released into the water column.
 
I would not recommend any sort of chemical. I would however recommend a peppermint shrimp. They do wonders, but once there's no trace of aptasia, I would frag it forward to someone else.
 
You may want to consider F-Aiptasia by @Frank's Tanks. I have found it to be more effective than lemon juice or many of the other additives.

BRS seems to agree:
 
I used red sea aptasia X, highly not recommended. When those little suckers implode they release spores into the water and bam, you've got a never ending battle. I would definitely go the filefish route or something that eliminates the possibility of spores being released into the water column.
The trick is to cover the whole mouth and it will "eat" the stuff and then die. Injecting it with kalk via a hypodermic needle works for me.
I would not recommend any sort of chemical. I would however recommend a peppermint shrimp. They do wonders, but once there's no trace of aptasia, I would frag it forward to someone else.
I love the phrase "frag it forward". Did you come up with it?
 
Berghia nudies worked for me. Purchased about 15 in my 200 and a couple months later gone!
 
I figure once you get aptaisia, it's there to stay. I've done well with filefish and peppermint shrimp. Haven't seen one in nearly a year. I'm sure if I got rid of the predators, they'd come right back.
 
A counter-point

I got a CB filefish from Biota that hasn't touched the few aiptasia I have. It has munched on some leather coral polyps.
That's when you serve his *** eviction papers...lol...Remind his behind he is there to eat and not just chill...lol I know the feeling. The first file fish I had did that...just swam around and didn't eat any of the aptasia and died 2 weeks later. I was so mad because it cost be $58.00...
 
The trick is to cover the whole mouth and it will "eat" the stuff and then die. Injecting it with kalk via a hypodermic needle works for me.

I love the phrase "frag it forward". Did you come up with it?

Our local marine community, TCMAS, has a section within their marketplace labeled "Frag-It-Forward". Feel free to use it as you please. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new