Aptasia

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a few aptasia in my tank managed to break off a few dead montipora coral they were stuck to and just bin them.
Today while moving rocks found another one attached to a small rock so removed the rock.
I placed the rock in boiling water and left it. Will this be enough to kill the aptasia and can I put the rock back into my tank tomorrow?

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would observe the tank more if you found one I’m sure there are more. I would consider a different option to remove aiptasia.
Pretty sure there are more but nothing at the front of the rocks they must be hidden - but just for confirmation the boiled rock can go back into the DT or no?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure there are more but nothing at the front of the rocks they must be hidden - but just for confirmation the boiled rock can go back into the DT or no?
Aiptasia are remarkably robust and will survive most tank conditions, but cannot survive boiling. Everything on the rock should be dead so yes you could add it back into the DT, assuming it's not going to add a ton of decaying matter that would start a cycle.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia are remarkably robust and will survive most tank conditions, but cannot survive boiling. Everything on the rock should be dead so yes you could add it back into the DT, assuming it's not going to add a ton of decaying matter that would start a cycle.
Fairly small rock maybe 10cm by 10cm or could just throw the whole rock away not too bothered

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back