Aqua Ultraviolet misleading UV draw

jlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I'm in the market for a UV sterilizer and found one that fits my needs nicely but I have noticed many comments here and on BRS that mention a disparity in the wattage drawn specifically for this brand of UV light of all sizes.
Is anyone able to provide any explanation other than AU is fudging their numbers? If it can't be explained I'll find another brand to buy from.

If you do have a light from AU would you mind posting your wattage draw as seen in Apex? That would be super helpful

Here's a couple threads describing similar experiences:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I'm in the market for a UV sterilizer and found one that fits my needs nicely but I have noticed many comments here and on BRS that mention a disparity in the wattage drawn specifically for this brand of UV light of all sizes.
Is anyone able to provide any explanation other than AU is fudging their numbers? If it can't be explained I'll find another brand to buy from.

If you do have a light from AU would you mind posting your wattage draw as seen in Apex? That would be super helpful

Check out the TMC units from American Aquarium in Oregon. Tropic Marine Centre makes a great product.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV Lamps are a Type of Fluorescent Light. Fluorescent Lights have a beginning break in time, and they will all draw less wattage during the break in and produce less light. The exception to this is Overdriving Power Compacts. Also all Fluorescent Lights have falling off period, during this time, they produce less light and more heat. Hopefully in the Near Future they will come out with a LED UV Fixture. As I understand it, there is a problem with Multiple UV LED Individual Lamps, burning each other.

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I would surely not buy the Aqua UV I have one and the 57 watt bulb only puts out 30 watts. Not good at all.

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I had six bulbs that tested 30 to 48 watts. Most in the 30’s.

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

My Pentair UV 40 watt runs at 42 watts constant. I’m thinking if wattage didn’t matter we could all just be happy that the light comes on and the different prices for higher watts means nothing.

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV Lamps are a Type of Fluorescent Light. Fluorescent Lights have a beginning break in time, and they will all draw less wattage during the break in and produce less light. The exception to this is Overdriving Power Compacts. Also all Fluorescent Lights have falling off period, during this time, they produce less light and more heat. Hopefully in the Near Future they will come out with a LED UV Fixture. As I understand it, there is a problem with Multiple UV LED Individual Lamps, burning each other.
I had the Aqua plugged in for days and saw no such break in. Started low and stayed low.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back