Aquaforest AF Rock, Long-Term Review

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Reef2Reef.

I am looking into Aquaforest's AF Rock, but I don't see a lot of reviews or threads regarding this rock. Of those using it, what are your thoughts? How does it hold up long-term? Any issues with leaching?

I appreciate any feedback I can get. Thank you!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have never thought about how to make a long time review of rocks? What to include :p What do you want to know exactly? I have had AF rock in my tank for about 18 months now..

OP
OP
RevMH

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have never thought about how to make a long time review of rocks? What to include :p What do you want to know exactly? I have had AF rock in my tank for about 18 months now..
Oh, jeez. I didn't really elaborate on what that meant. I was concerned, with the pumice (?) make of the rock, it may breakdown more rapidly.

The rock has been holding up well for you? Did you notice an increase of any elements with the rock? I saw one review where someone alluded to an increase in nitrates, but I can't find any evidence in first-hand experiences.

I appreciate the reply!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, jeez. I didn't really elaborate on what that meant. I was concerned, with the pumice (?) make of the rock, it may breakdown more rapidly.

The rock has been holding up well for you? Did you notice an increase of any elements with the rock? I saw one review where someone alluded to an increase in nitrates, but I can't find any evidence in first-hand experiences.

I appreciate the reply!
Rocks are holding up well, no issues at all. As for an increase in elements? It is hard to say- you will be building a brand new tank with dry AF rock I assume and as such, you will have little to compare with! :)

An increase in nitrates? No. Rocks are dead mate, nothing comes from them!

I have no issues to report. :relieved-face:

OP
OP
RevMH

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks are holding up well, no issues at all. As for an increase in elements? It is hard to say- you will be building a brand new tank with dry AF rock I assume and as such, you will have little to compare with! :)

An increase in nitrates? No. Rocks are dead mate, nothing comes from them!

I have no issues to report. :relieved-face:
That's good to hear! I hadn't read anything related to elevated... anything, except nitrate, which I thought was odd, but I guess you don't know until you ask. I appreciate the glowing review and feedback. You rock!

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them in my tank since late February 2023. So maybe 8 month. Not sure if that qualifies as long term review.

FWIW, I've got <2mg/l nitrates and <0.02mg/l phosphates. Definitely not leaking anything. Three fish in 25G without a skimmer or filtration. I don't do anything to keep nutrients low.

OP
OP
RevMH

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them in my tank since late February 2023. So maybe 8 month. Not sure if that qualifies as long term review.

FWIW, I've got <2mg/l nitrates and <0.02mg/l phosphates. Definitely not leaking anything. Three fish in 25G without a skimmer or filtration. I don't do anything to keep nutrients low.
That's a wonderful update. Thank you very much! I wonder why AF rock hasn't taken off more. Light weight, porous, pest free.

FragTomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not clear on how it will work in the long run if AF rock's base material is filter media, and AF suggests replacing 10-20% every 6 weeks, while Maxspect, for instance, recommends replacement/cleaning every 6 months. The oldest information I could find about AF rock is only two years old, so I assume there's no information on how it will perform 8 years from now.

OP
OP
RevMH

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not clear on how it will work in the long run if AF rock's base material is filter media, and AF suggests replacing 10-20% every 6 weeks, while Maxspect, for instance, recommends replacement/cleaning every 6 months. The oldest information I could find about AF rock is only two years old, so I assume there's no information on how it will perform 8 years from now.
That's the sort of thing I was wondering, too. I know the ceramic media is different, but this product is similar, will it disintegrate over? I suppose it'll be a wait and see scenario.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand they recommend replacing their pumice media due to clogging and algae formation. Scraping it clean with brush and fresh saltwater should rejuvenate it. Pumice should last 10+ years.

OP
OP
RevMH

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I guess I'm making some assumptions here, which isn't the right way to tackle this.
We have some large natural pumice formations where we live, it's all fairly brittle, but it's not analogous to the AF Rock.

I appreciate all the feedback, the R2R community is always so great!

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's kinda a balance. Too hard and it serves no real biological purpose. Too porous and it crumbles. No geologist here, but I'm guessing there are different types of pumice depending on where/how it's collected (used for different types of fresh or saltwater). The media we use tends to be pretty hard.

OP
OP
RevMH

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's kinda a balance. Too hard and it serves no real biological purpose. Too porous and it crumbles. No geologist here, but I'm guessing there are different types of pumice depending on where/how it's collected (used for different types of fresh or saltwater). The media we use tends to be pretty hard.
Reef tanks - even the fundamental make-up of the rocks needs to be balanced.

Shawn7854

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please do yourself a favor and use real live rock aquaforest rock has been problems since day 1 and its 3 years now issues after issues from lack of biodiversity

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Shawn, could you please elaborate on the problems you had with AF rocks? I have them and I'm currently battling long and ugly algae. Not sure what's the reason, that's another topic anyway.

But anyway, what are your experiences You say lack of biodiversity, but isn't that the same with all of the dry/dead rocks used now.

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update from me. I created a new scape in a Reefer 200 XL. Used Carib sea life sand and tropic Marin pro reef salt.

The tank was started in January, in February I moved all the coral from the small tank. Still, in end of April, I have 0.2-0.5mg/l nitrites and the rock suck up phosphates. It's so bad that many of my SPS and LPS lack all color. I have a favites that's completely white. Dosing 0.3mg/l phosphates gets reduced to 0.03 within 5 hours.

I'm quite at a loss there. I'm relatively sure the lack of phosphate is causing the bleaching. Those rocks seem to absorb crazy amounts of phosphates. I'm using the tropic Marin pro test kit, and I verified it using the standard.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back