AquaIllumination Blade Announced

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the black sheathing that looks like it has pulled away. Would this cause any issues if the wires/connections are not loose or exposed?
The black protects the wires. With that pulled away, the wires aren't protected. I'd assume the IP66 is not impacted, that's a guess, but I would seek a replacement.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK guys I thinking about these lights for a new build. lets talk this out.

tank is a RS 300XK G2 and will be a seahorse tank. softies, Gorgs. and macro. I have 2X AI primes I was gonna use.
also have a 36" BML non controllable bar if it had the ramp up/down feture i would just use that.

it's the 2nd tank in the room and other half hates all the blue ligh coming from the tanks.
thought this could be a nice solution.

cons:
if I have to mount it then might as well us the AI primes. looking to keep light spill out of the room with out building a canopy.

was hoping 1 30"er would be enough for softies, macros, gorgs thoughts. the par and spread are looking like it. if I need two then meh not as appealing

I wish it was more "full spectrum" like the primes. I was thinking to run a hr or two mid day with more reds/whites for the macros.

it's new tech, often when i buy to early I regret it later. about 6 months form now we will see some real world experience from other reefers.

not so sure i like the clear mounting and feet hardware

pros:
if I can fit on the tank it would keep light spill in the tank and not in the room. or at least limit it. a big selling point for me.

has most of the features that we all wanted in the bar style lights

love the slim form factor & passive cooling.

I like the Ai app and schedules.

So IDK what you do guys think? I can return one 1AI prime and try this out and as my tank grows can add another one in a time.

think it's would trying out over 2X AI primes?

One mounted directly on the tank won’t spread much. At a minimum I’d use the elevated tank mounts when they are available. If you plan macros, the FW version might be a better choice. It won’t be nearly as blue as we’re used to in this hobby.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The black protects the wires. With that pulled away, the wires aren't protected. I'd assume the IP66 is not impacted, that's a guess, but I would seek a replacement.

Protects the wires from what?

The only thing showing on mine are a red and black wire. The wires (wire material like copper) are covered in their own sheathing.

Just trying to figure out how big of a problem this really is. Like burn my house down bad? Or it just looks bad from a fit and finish standpoint?

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only thing showing on mine are a red and black wire. The wires (wire material like copper) are covered in their own sheathing.

Just trying to figure out how big of a problem this really is. Like burn my house down bad? Or it just looks bad from a fit and finish standpoint?
Potential wear and short risk. It's not about looks.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are one to upgrade and sell old equiptment, I would say that right there damages resell value. I would just have them fix it/replace the fixture.

If people just accept it... companies don't have to do better...

Anywho.. that is wear the cable bends a bit and moves around which makes it subject to wear and tear

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One mounted directly on the tank won’t spread much. At a minimum I’d use the elevated tank mounts when they are available. If you plan macros, the FW version might be a better choice. It won’t be nearly as blue as we’re used to in this hobby.

yeah that is what I was worried about. if there tank mounted not really getting the spread or full par out of them.
my older build my LED ( BML) light, light up the tank nicely maybe i'll pull it out and see.

i have some time but I do want to get this tank u and cycled. so maybe in a month time there will be more info on them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that is what I was worried about. if there tank mounted not really getting the spread or full par out of them.
my older build my LED ( BML) light, light up the tank nicely maybe i'll pull it out and see.

i have some time but I do want to get this tank u and cycled. so maybe in a month time there will be more info on them.

I don't think that spectrum will look as nice over macro's. Macro's look amazing under a nice crisp white (so do fish). These seem a bit too blue?

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are one to upgrade and sell old equiptment, I would say that right there damages resell value. I would just have them fix it/replace the fixture.

If people just accept it... companies don't have to do better...

Anywho.. that is wear the cable bends a bit and moves around which makes it subject to wear and tear

I already emailed AI and hope to hear back in a couple days. Not sure if they’re working tomorrow or not.

For my OWN use, I see no way the connection will have wear and tear. My lights don’t move. They’re stationary and stay that way when hung over my tank.

Of course, I’d like a replacement to be sent out. Worst case BRS customer service gets involved which always fixes everything. However, I don’t see any potential for wear and tear on a non moving part. Resell is the probably the biggest worry here

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already emailed AI and hope to hear back in a couple days. Not sure if they’re working tomorrow or not.

For my OWN use, I see no way the connection will have wear and tear. My lights don’t move. They’re stationary and stay that way when hung over my tank.

Of course, I’d like a replacement to be sent out. Worst case BRS customer service gets involved which always fixes everything. However, I don’t see any potential for wear and tear on a non moving part. Resell is the probably the biggest worry here

I just meant in general over time if the light were ever moved, stored, put on different tanks.

If you live in my house, it is a moving part... my cat loves to swing on the lights (if they are hung) :face-in-clouds: :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that spectrum will look as nice over macro's. Macro's look amazing under a nice crisp white (so do fish). These seem a bit too blue?
on my old macro tank ( 20L) I used a maxspect prism or something like that. i would guess 14K the macro looked pretty good. one reason I liked the primes over the blade for this build is more options. i was thinking of having a mid day more white for a few hours. IDK something to play with.

not 100% sold on the blades but would love to try them out for a month or two then decide. to bad there's not a rental program for reefing gear. lol

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yet, before they became yours, there was wear and tear. You didn't pay for torn insulation. BTW, support will tell you that the tearing doesn't impact the IP rating. Cool, but that's not my 20 years USAF aircraft electrician concern. You paid top dollar for an integral light.

Royal_pudding

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Talking about burning the house down.
I am planning on getting these and use them under a tank lid. Anybody with experience know how hot they get?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that does look nice. but for ME I am trying to limit the light spill in the room.
Light spill is a result of three things. Distance from front edge, height and tilt. All three can be easily manipulated. Tilt will affect direct light in your eyes based on viewing height. Edge and height will affect PAR. BRS has their 15% recommendation but I feel this is a personal taste.

Last concern being how many needed since closer to any edge takes from the farther edge therefore might require extras but more you have the less shadows and one can always reduce intensity thereby still getting required PAR. Beauty of the blades being the T5 style spread which by design means several blades depending on tank width. Doubt one blade will work for most.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on getting these and use them under a tank lid. Anybody with experience know how hot they get?

Good question as I could see a lot of people wanting to do that.

Depending on the hood and if the hood has a fan and so on. I would make sure they are capable as a tight space may cause them to fail prematurity if they get hot in the stagnant air. Probably fail before they burned your house down though.

I would probably add some air flow to a canopy just to be safe and protect my investment.

Last edited:

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless how hot they get, best place a few computer fans and vent that air out otherwise it might raise tank temperatures. I'd do this even if light had their own fan since that hot air needs to go somewhere. Larger the fan, less noise to move same volume of air at same RPM.

I'm leaning towards a full hood just because I want zero light spill and by using positive pressure I can reduce the amount of CO2 drawn from my room while exporting the max produced. My home is air tight

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around the 3 minute mark he uses the clip to suspend the light under an acrylic lid. Imagine no lid and using any rail to run a series of these panels across the surface. Can make it detachable so they can be lifted up or out for cleaning. Would help eliminate spill and further increase the PAR output. That rail on hinges being likely best option since it can still illuminate while cleaning yet out of the way and being at the surface perhaps less of an eye sore. Although top down look might not be the best

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back