Aquamaxx ConeS CO1 Need Help

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping that someone can help me out, I just received my first skimmer a couple days ago, an Aquamaxx CO1. It says the depth should be between 6-9 inches, I propped it up with some Pvc for each corner and a piece of egg crate across the top which put the skimmer in about 8", I am curious if anybody has this skimmer and at what depth it is at. Also I have been playing with the adjustment knob and not quite sure where it should be, where I would like it to be the bubbles/foam doesn't make it to where it can get into the collection cup, but if I adjust it the other way it just bubbles over into it and would be full in a couple hours of just water. I know that it takes a little while for it to be broken in, I did not do a vinegar bath, I was excited to put it in and get it going since this is the first skimmer I have ever owned. So I guess my questions would be, what is a good depth for this skimmer to be run at and how do I know when the adjustment is where it should be? This is all new to me so if someone wouldn't mind pretty much starting at the beginning of skimmers I would be forever grateful. Thanks in advance

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great skimmer choice ! Just make sure what you are using to raise your skimmer to 8 inches is stable , you don't want the skimmer rocking around . A nice stable flat service. Second you want your skimmer in an area of the sump that doesn't fluctuate depth due to evaporation. If it is in a part of the sump that fluctuates depth you will not get constant results from your skimmer , this can be rectified with a automatic top off float switch . If this is a new tank and you are just beginning the cycle there wont be much to skim out of the water so don't expect loads of foam filling the cup wondering what's wrong with this skimmer. A new skimmer can take over a week to "break in" meaning all the factory oils and grease to wear off the parts and build up a coating around the neck of the skimmer that the bubbles and foam use to rise and fill the collection cup with all the nasty's. I have the same skimmer and have it sitting in if I remember correctly 7.5 inches . I have it so the bottom of the air intake silencer is right above the water line because I found that water seeps into the silencer and I know over time salt creep will form and block the air intake tube causing the skimmer not perform optimally. The initial adjustment knob should be set so the bubbles are at the top of the skimmer were the cup secures to the body . Just set and leave it to do its thing. Check daily to make sure the skimmer isn't overflowing, sometimes before break in they can go crazy and overfill the collection cup. If it does that just lower the knob till the bubbles are back at the neck of the skimmer. Also note that sometimes when you put your hand in the tank or add chemicals or new filter socks that can change the output of the skimmer , sometimes making it overflow and other times make the bubbles drop lower in the skimmer . if its not overflowing leave the settings as it will settle down and continue doing its thing. Hope this helps some .

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the Aquamaxx CO1 for about 8 months now. If you set the water depth, right to the bottom of the white ring on the air silencer, it will be at the perfect depth. I adjusted my foam height, right to where the collection cup connects. Wait a few days and slightly adjust from there, for either a dryer or wetter skim.

OP
OP
CaptPatrick

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you both very much and for such a quick response. Tonight I will re measure and adjust, thanks again it is much appreciated.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the Aquamaxx CO1 for about 8 months now. If you set the water depth, right to the bottom of the white ring on the air silencer, it will be at the perfect depth. I adjusted my foam height, right to where the collection cup connects. Wait a few days and slightly adjust from there, for either a dryer or wetter skim.

Exactly where I set my water level. Awesome quiet and powerful skimmer

OP
OP
CaptPatrick

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my water level might be just a little bit below where you all have said, the white ring on the silencer, that's the clear cylinder that has what looks like two little straws going into it?. It seems be working well so far but will try to figure out a way to bring it down a little bit

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back