Aquamaxx CTech - T1 Review

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there aren't too many review of the Aquamaxx CTech Calcium reactor, I figure I'd put one out there that I recently installed.
My initial thoughts on the reactor is that it's very well built and solid construction. For my tank, I'm using the recommended CTech-T1. The T1 comes with a Sicce 0.5 recirculation pump and after starting it up, it's very quiet. I like the fact that it has its own baffle to try and keep the noise down. I also like that the pinch valve is at the beginning of the reactor and not on the effluent side. It also has a pre-filter to keep detritus out of the reactor. I haven't had it long enough to see how quick it gets dirty and what effect it has on the effluent but I like the fact that AM is trying to keep the gunk out of the reactor.
Here's a picture of it out of the box and the ATB secondary chamber I'm going to use to help dissolve some of the CO2 before going back into the tank.

d1ed629fdff8ab7e22f34325ed1e9b1f.jpg

95029d95b0c74e00e62b0c24f8779672.jpg

Here's a pic of the custom regulator I built. I followed Alan Le model and have quickly discovered how important a good needle valve is.

aa3f2637b436ed73af8b354c31d82251.jpg

Initial setup is a breeze, it's pretty much just plug and play for the most part. I'm using a Sicce 0.5 to feed the reactor and I really like the fact that the pinch/flow valve is at the beginning of the reactor as opposed to on the effluent line.
It's only been running for a few days but adjusting the reactor has been really easy with the help of a quality needle valve and an easy to tune pinch valve.
I'll try to report back about the reactor and hopefully my opinion doesn't change over the months/years.

f46c14fbbda5bed4cefce3628ec948a2.jpg

OP
OP
solitude127

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to mention about this reactor is the ability to place the pre-filter canister and bubble counter anywhere on one of the thumb screws. This is one of the main reasons why I chose this reactor because of the ability to make the footprint a little smaller.

OP
OP
solitude127

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update.
So I thought that replacing the provided pinch valve with a fancy needle valve would benefit me, right? Nope. After adding the needle valve and did nothing but fuss with the drip rate so after a week and a half, I gave up and put the provided pinch valve back on. Since then, I'm back to stable flow and stable parameters. :)

Here's a pic of the needle valve I added.
i-37kwz5R-M.jpg

OP
OP
solitude127

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this reactor treating you? I'm looking into purchasing one. Also, I'm not to far from you!
Sorry for the late reply. But the reactor has been doing really well. My parameters have been stable and I've noticed a lot of new growth on my SPS.

OP
OP
solitude127

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. The reactor has been up and running for 6 months now and parameters are very stable. I feel like I'm getting better growth with a CaRx than I was with dosing 2part. Thanks @MarineDepot for all your help.

Just a quick question. At what point to you refill your media? When there a 1/4 of the medial left, an 1/8th? Also do you just top off the media or do you replace with new media?

ReeferA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a very bad experience with the same one but the next size up cTech T-2.
The reactor leaks from several spots. First, the bottom of the pre-filter chamber. This happens every time the pinch valve is opened more than 50%. and it only stops when leaking when I slightly open it. At this rate, the effluent stops!!! When I open the pinch valve more than 50%, it starts leaking from the top and bottom of the pre-filter AND the union valve connected to the water pump in the white box. But, I get effluent.
I've tried using Teflon tap and other valves on the inlet/feed in the last 2 weeks but no progress.
I'm going to call BRS tomorrow.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back