Aquarium backgrounds...tacky or not?

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m trying to decide if I should use a tank background on my main tank and possibly even my sump (I’ll explain later). I used to see these for sale in almost every LFS. There was your classic black or blue, some plants tank scene and of course your coral reef background. With the exception of the black or blue background I always thought they were kinda tacky and didn’t help the overall look of the tank. Of course living in 2021, you can customize anything and I did find a company online that has tons of custom images available that did catch my eye and maybe think twice. Also another plus is you send them your size info and the image is already adjusted and cut to exact size which is nice. I’m highly considering using one on the back of my sump because it will act as a “blind” to hide the array of cords that will be tucked behind it (in the tank I’m building the sump will be visible at all times thru the glass door of the cabinet...I’ve always found the inner workings of things to be fascinating and won’t be hiding them on my current tank build) let me know what you think! I’m a zoa lover at heart...here’s a couple backgrounds for my main tank I’m considering...
44722EF1-AA92-43FC-9593-ED6E1D86DBBD.png
2906D9DA-D57A-41D4-86CA-3CA4066DA434.png

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We all have different tastes so go with what looks good to you. Reef your reef! :cool:

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not tacky. It depends on what it is and how it looks on your aquascape. I look at many aquascapes on youtube with black backgrounds or no background and the scape looks "tacky" in my eyes because the corals are just placed in spots that dont make sense or don't flow. It's all about artistic eye, just like a painting, there are many styles, or flower arrangements. If you like the look, go for it.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally not put one on the back of my display tank....yet

But I 100% would put a fake coral background on the back of a frag tank next to my DT.

Wait... "Would"? Oh yeah, I did... :cool:

Do what YOU like :)
PXL_20210227_004434232.jpg

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think an all black background looks super clean. Really makes any color you have on your tank pop. So I guess that is a background and I’d have a black before I had clear or other solid colors or a mixed background. Highly recommend

OP
OP
KellyCorals

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great feedback guys! I think I will end up using at minimum a solid black background but I might just order one of the custom backgrounds just to see if it looks right...if not, trash can is only a couple feet away. I agree that no matter what, eventually you won’t be able to see it anyways because of the coralline.

brutuscz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually like a blue or black background. But, I was setting up a 90gal in my basement. I have a lighting clown, Lionfish and Spotted Rabbitfish. Since I have 2 venomous fish, I figured....A dangerous pirate background . Lol. This is actually a Halloween flag. I am planning on adding a skull in the tank. Going for an Evil look. This is not like my other 2 strict reef tanks. I am using leftover equipment, and just having fun with a tacky look.

Attachments

• skull tank.jpg
    skull tank.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 107

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great feedback guys! I think I will end up using at minimum a solid black background but I might just order one of the custom backgrounds just to see if it looks right...if not, trash can is only a couple feet away. I agree that no matter what, eventually you won’t be able to see it anyways because of the coralline.
I just have some cheap window tint on mine. The areas that are exposed to light are covered with coralline. I can use a bright flashlight to see into the areas under my rock through the tint.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely up to you of course, it’s your tank. Unless you clean your back pane however it will gather coralline and other algae, so take that into account if you do go for a background.

I have kept FW fish most of my life and always had backgrounds. Mostly plant based ones, typically blue dominant. When I started my first SW tank 3 1/2 years ago it had an all black background. I liked it so much that for the small FW tank I got to replace the larger one (that the SW tank in turn replaced) I taped a piece of black cardboard to it’s back. I just love the minimalist green on black look. And the fish pop (not that there are many).

63E07E18-BFEB-481B-A695-0702A4A86845.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back