Aquarium frame splitting!

Discussion in 'Tank Emergency' started by bluneon, Nov 27, 2017.

1. bluneon

bluneon Member

I noticed yesterday evening that the center brace frame on my 55 gallon tank has began splitting and there was a slight bow on the front glass. I ran to Home Depot and bought a bar clamp to help stabilize the pressure in the meantime.

I am looking for suggestions on what to do, thanks!

frame-split.jpg

frame-split-2.jpg

2. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Carbon Doser Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Partner Member 2018

Cut it out and silicone in a glass brace. Keeping the bar clamp in place until silicone has cured fully.

6Bolt likes this.
  3. MaddyP

MaddyP 'Til Reefdom Come... R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Replace the tank immediately.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Cherub, Robink, don_chuwish and 3 others like this.
  4. bluneon

bluneon Member

Do you think ordering a new top frame from glasscages.com would be a viable solution?

Dom likes this.
  5. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Carbon Doser Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Partner Member 2018

Yea, you can do that also.
    The glass euro bracing is stronger and will last longer, but you can order a new top, hard to get those babies off. Make sure its clean before installing a new one.

6. bluneon

bluneon Member

I may consider installing a new top and then a glass panel underneath for added support.

Reefing Madness likes this.
  7. MnFish1

MnFish1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Ew tanks aren’t that expensive. Depending. Relying on a diy fix may not be cost effective jmho. But a bigger tank lol

Cherub, S-t-r-e-t-c-h and Mikedawg like this.
  8. Forsaken77

Forsaken77 Valuable Member

I would contact the manufacturer and get it replaced. If the glass is bowing, it could potentially have already weakened or stretched the side joints. Replacing it is the best option. The top of the tank is the most critical as far as support goes.

9. bluneon

bluneon Member

Since I don't have the receipt, the manufacturer isn't able to provide a refund or replacement, so I'd either have to shell out about $140 for a new 55 gallon tank and recruit people to help move both tanks or pay $18 for a new frame.

10. Greybeard

Greybeard Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Hit Craigslist... check around your local club for a used 55, see if Petco has a black friday sale... Whatever it takes. A $140 tank is a bargain compared to 55 gallons of water on your living room floor, and a dead reef. Not the kind of thing I'd take a chance on.

SaltLifer, Dom, MnFish1 and 1 other person like this.
  11. S-t-r-e-t-c-h

S-t-r-e-t-c-h Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

The amount of bowing in the photos is not confidence inducing. Mark me down in the replace column too.

I know it's easy for someone that doesn't actually have to deal with the actual expense and relocationto say "just buy another one" but seems the right decision in this case. Choose your adventure: turn to page 15 or turn to page 97...

Good luck either way...

Greybeard and MnFish1 like this.
  12. bluneon

bluneon Member

How much time do you think the bar clamp buys me? I have people that could help swap in a new tank in about a week and a half.

13. S-t-r-e-t-c-h

S-t-r-e-t-c-h Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

I don’t know that there is an answer to this question but I’d work with the assumption it needs to be fixed ASAP.

Is this a tank with an overflow? If not, reducing the water level even a little could help...

Dom and MnFish1 like this.
  14. Forsaken77

Like someone else said, it's impossible to answer this question. The tank has started to fail and may cause leaks elsewhere as well. The top frame is the main support for rimmed tanks. Most people assume it's the bottom, but it's the top.

Petco or Dr Foster & Smith usually have a sale around now for $1 per gallon on new tanks. So a 55 would be $55.

I would also try to buy a tank new, especially if it's a mass produced tank. A used tank will buy you time, and save money, but I wouldn't bother with a used tank to save $50 and have other potential problems.

Also, a 55 is pretty light and skinny, as far as tanks go. One other person, even a woman, could easily help move an empty 55 gallon. You could probably do it yourself with a padded hand truck and a bungie cord to strap it on.

The harder part is going to be emptying and storing all the rock and livestock to make sure it stays wet and aeration and heat for the fish. Just make sure you're all prepared before you pick up the new tank.

15. bluneon

bluneon Member

No overflow, just your typical 55 gallon. I did take out almost 1/3 of the water to alleviate pressure in addition to the bar clamp.

16. Forsaken77

DP

17. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Partner Member 2018 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Yeah that size tank, definitely replace it. Don't even bother with used. Get new. The few dollars difference isn't worth the time/effort/worry of any other choice.

18. Old Glory

Old Glory Active Member Build Thread Contributor

No brainer. Get a new one. You can move an empty 55 by yourself. Get a bunch of totes and use them to temporarily house the livestock and rocks. Switch tanks fill new tank and replace livestock rock and sand. Be sure to have extra salt water made up.

MnFish1 likes this.
  19. 40B Knasty

40B Knasty Valuable Member

Get a new tank. If you are housing a lot that is important to you.
    The most important thing is save your bacteria as best as possible. Keep flow on your live rocks while they are in a bin. Have heaters for the live stock in them.
    The other best option is getting Nature's Ocean Nutri-Seawater. They are a 4.4g jug that gives you instant gratification. No cycling needed. Personally I would pick up some Nite-Out 2 and dump it on your biological filtration.
    I had a 40B crack down the middle at 4am in the morning. Talk about a nightmare!
    If your sand is still in the 6 month to a year range. Take your sand and fill up a bucket halfway. Take it outside to the hose and rinse it for 30-45 minutes. It is a lot easier when the bucket is not all the way full with sand. Keep sticking your hand to the bottom and tumble the sand with the bucket tilted a little so the water is getting all the detritus kicked up and out of the bucket. Clean the other bucket halfway full of sand. Then do them both over again. For another 20-30. Get it as clean as you can.
    Here is what happened to me. This may help you.

20. Swoody

Swoody Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

A lot of sage advice given so far and I would add that if you are using wavemakers, that you lower the setting and place it in a steady flow mode versus a mode which actually causes wave action to reduce additional stress on what is clearly a failing tank.

recess62 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted