Aquarium frame splitting!

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of sage advice given so far and I would add that if you are using wavemakers, that you lower the setting and place it in a steady flow mode versus a mode which actually causes wave action to reduce additional stress on what is clearly a failing tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much time do you think the bar clamp buys me? I have people that could help swap in a new tank in about a week and a half.

You really could do it yourself in a couple hours if you have some extra saltwater made up - just buy 2 of the 40 gallon plastic cans - put the rock in one - siphon enough water to cover. Siphon the rest of the water +fish coral into the other. Put the heater in with the fish and a powerhead or something for flow.
take the old tank - if you want to keep the sand - maybe keep only some - not all. rinse the sand with fresh Salt water just to get some of the gunk out - put the new tank on the stand rearrange your rock and pump the water or bucket the water back in - and youre done - it really wont take much time - and you should be able to lift the tank yourself.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are great videos - but they also take time to do /cure. in the mean time he still has all of his stuff out of the tank.
You don't need to remove all the water from the tank to do all this. 1/4 of it, to do the work.
Or remove the water fish and corals to the bathtub, do the work and put em all back. Ive done it a few times, its not a big deal. Oh, one tank was a 125g and the other was a 240g.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don't need to remove all the water from the tank to do all this. 1/4 of it, to do the work.
Or remove the water fish and corals to the bathtub, do the work and put em all back. Ive done it a few times, its not a big deal. Oh, one tank was a 125g and the other was a 240g.

Yeah - that makes sense - for a 55 - might be best to just get a new one though.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that is a ticking timebomb. Get a big sterilite ready if you have to, and find a replacement asap

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any updates?

kevyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought myself two 20 gal longs for QT tanks at petco for $20 each today. Additionally, anything above 29 gallons, it is 50% off. You could upgrade to a 75 gallon and get more depth. You will have the same dimensions in height, but you will have MUCH more room front to back. Anyways, a 40B tank was going for $50, so if there was a time to get a new tank, right now IS the time.

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank gave you a heads up that failure is imminent. Replace the tank before it fails completely. You wanted a bigger tank anyway didn't you? No better time than now! Way easier to be proactive on replacing the tank than reactive. Like above members mentioned, petco does have $1 gal sales regularly.

My tank gave no warning and decided that 2:30am was when it tore a seam 3/4 the way down. I had to improvise rapidly and ended up losing my live stock. Then there was the mess of 60 gallons of water spraying, not leaking onto the floor.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back