Aquarium hobby took a salty turn…

jokerswild2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after well over a decade of keeping planted freshwater tanks, I decided to finally take the plunge and see what all the fuss is about over on the saltwater side. I’m currently running freshwater 125g, 75g, 55g, 50g, 3x 20g long and several 10g tanks. A few months ago, I started a 20g Long softy tank, using a Seachem Tidal55 hob, AquaMaxx Bullet hob skimmer, a couple of tiny Hygger wavemakers, and 2x Kessil A80 lights. Currently, I’ve got 1x ORA Clownfish and 1x ORA Orchid Dottyback with an assortment of inverts. All the coral (except one) are softies. 4 types of zoas, toadstool leather, Kenya Tree leather, Devil’s Hand leather, Xenia, GSP, Neon Green Cabbage leather, Discosoma mushroom, Ricordia mushroom, Rhodactus mushroom, and my one lonely LPS… Alien Eye Candy Cane. the tank cycled well and the tank parameters were rock solid when I started introducing livestock. Now I’m slowly fighting my way through the ugly-brown-stage, and hoping that everything takes off. I already have plans to start an LPS-dominant 50g in the very near future. I’m not saying I’m COMPLETELY sold on the saltwater addiction (freshwater submersed gardening is SUPER cool!!), but I think I may be in this for the long haul!! Multi-Tank Addiction is REAL!!!!

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi and welcome to the salty side
IMG_3073.gif

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after well over a decade of keeping planted freshwater tanks, I decided to finally take the plunge and see what all the fuss is about over on the saltwater side. I’m currently running freshwater 125g, 75g, 55g, 50g, 3x 20g long and several 10g tanks. A few months ago, I started a 20g Long softy tank, using a Seachem Tidal55 hob, AquaMaxx Bullet hob skimmer, a couple of tiny Hygger wavemakers, and 2x Kessil A80 lights. Currently, I’ve got 1x ORA Clownfish and 1x ORA Orchid Dottyback with an assortment of inverts. All the coral (except one) are softies. 4 types of zoas, toadstool leather, Kenya Tree leather, Devil’s Hand leather, Xenia, GSP, Neon Green Cabbage leather, Discosoma mushroom, Ricordia mushroom, Rhodactus mushroom, and my one lonely LPS… Alien Eye Candy Cane. the tank cycled well and the tank parameters were rock solid when I started introducing livestock. Now I’m slowly fighting my way through the ugly-brown-stage, and hoping that everything takes off. I already have plans to start an LPS-dominant 50g in the very near future. I’m not saying I’m COMPLETELY sold on the saltwater addiction (freshwater submersed gardening is SUPER cool!!), but I think I may be in this for the long haul!! Multi-Tank Addiction is REAL!!!!
Welcome to the salt water side!

3sxp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I joined pretty recently also after a (single tank at a time) decade or so with planted tanks. Would love someplace to discuss folks who maintain both... I have a little 2g tank currently with a couple of blue eyes, and using a 15g for a quarantine tank that I'll convert to (freshwater) shrimp when the 30g saltwater-converted one is stocked.

Hope you start a build thread! Curious how it goes for you. I am also already thinking about how big I'd want to go on another saltwater tank in the future...

OP
OP
J

jokerswild2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I joined pretty recently also after a (single tank at a time) decade or so with planted tanks. Would love someplace to discuss folks who maintain both... I have a little 2g tank currently with a couple of blue eyes, and using a 15g for a quarantine tank that I'll convert to (freshwater) shrimp when the 30g saltwater-converted one is stocked.

Hope you start a build thread! Curious how it goes for you. I am also already thinking about how big I'd want to go on another saltwater tank in the future...
I’m currently running a Fluval Flex 9 planted Betta Tank, Fluval Flex 9 planted Celestial Pearl Danio/Cherry Shrimp tank, 50 gal tropical planted tank, 55 gal Mbuna tank, a 75 gal planted Tiger Barb tank, a 125g planted South American Cichlid (mostly) tank, and a 20 gal long Apisto tank. I’ve only been running my little 20 Gal long Nano Reef since Feb. I set it up almost a year ago and just let it run without any livestock (I was away for work most of that). It’s exclusively a soft coral tank with three fish (clown, orchid dottyback, and a red band hi-fin goby). All the filtration on it is Hang-On-Back. I’m going to set up my next one here in a week or two. I’ve got a 50 gal that I’m going to run as a LPS tank. I’m going to use a 10 gal as a small sump. I’d like to start a build thread for that one. I’m a little embarrassed about the 20 Gal Nano Reef. I’ve kept aquariums for over 10 years and I didn’t expect the difference between salt and fresh to be quite as drastic as it turned out to be. I really feel like I did a decade ago when I couldn’t figure out why everything was dying and covered in algae. Not that everything is dying now… I’ve only lost my two Alien Eye Candy Canes (the only non-soft coral that was in there). I also have plans within the next year to start a 75 gal SPS tank (I’m gonna run that one as an all-in-one filtration). And once I’ve figured it all out, I’m gonna build a 250 gal mixed reef. THAT one is a long way out (2-3 years). I’m not gonna go there until I’ve managed to do it all correctly!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back