Aquarium plumbing help

seerad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Upgrading from an AIO to my first tank with a sump. This was originally a custom built tank for a store so it’s using PVC pipes for the returns. We had to cut the PVC to separate it from the base for transportation. I was able to PVC cement it back together, everything seemed fine, ran water through without leaks.

When I got my tank filled and turned my return pump on for the first time, I saw the tiniest of drops from one of the new couplings from the repair. What permanent fix options do I have without draining the tank and with the limited space I have between tank and wall? Can I get it dry just add some more PVC cement to the base of the connection? (My guess is no on that one)

photo: this is the coupling that’s leaking as best I can tell and it at least appears to be leaking from the bottom of the coupling.

016F2D32-15DE-49F1-BCAD-0A3ADC90A192.jpeg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the looks of it could get a pvc ratchet cutter in there and cut out that coupler. Make sure to use primer, let dry 10 minutes or so, then use cement. When you place the new pipe into the new coupler with cement push it all the way in and give a quarter turn to help it set up strong.

OP
OP
seerad

seerad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the looks of it could get a pvc ratchet cutter in there and cut out that coupler. Make sure to use primer, let dry 10 minutes or so, then use cement. When you place the new pipe into the new coupler with cement push it all the way in and give a quarter turn to help it set up strong.
Cutting out is the only option? What do I do about the gap it creates?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting out is the only option? What do I do about the gap it creates?
It’s the best option.
You either use a single coupler and longer piece of pipe to get down to sump, since it will be shorter once you cut it, or you use a small piece with 2 couplers

OP
OP
seerad

seerad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the best option.
You either use a single coupler and longer piece of pipe to get down to sump, since it will be shorter once you cut it, or you use a small piece with 2 couplers
Okay, thank you! Any suggestions if I can’t get the ratchet cutter to fit in the space? It’s probably about 4 inches or so between tank and wall

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thank you! Any suggestions if I can’t get the ratchet cutter to fit in the space? It’s probably about 4 inches or so between tank and wall
You’re welcome
Would think a ratchet cutter would fit in there, depending on the model you have…
Could use something like this too. It might take longer but no danger of cracking the pipe as a ratchet cut might

BCF65B36-6131-43C2-A516-313F7017C0E8.jpeg

OP
OP
seerad

seerad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wanted to say thanks again, I was able to get this swapped and looks like everything is running correctly.

Back