Aquarium safe, waterproof sealant.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title suggests, I'm looking for a fish safe sealant that I can coat anything with to make it aquarium safe.
I've had a few ideas of some non aquarium safe things I want in my next build.
I've come across Lumber-seal by Agra Life, that's supposed to be organic, non toxic and waterproof. There's something about a wood sealant that doesn't sit right with me though.
I also found rubberize-it, which has a fish safe product made for waterproofing plywood aquariums, but it's black, not clear.
I was hoping someone else could possibly suggest a product or two?

wuuzzzuuppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're wanting something to seal up a decoration that is unsafe if not sealed so you can put it in your tank correct? You can seal it with 2-part clear epoxy or UV resistant clear acrylic.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that's exactly what I'm wanting to do.
Epoxy would be good if I can find a clear one. I've used some in the past that are cloudy, a bit like watered down milk. Is there any specific ingredients to stay away from that may leach into the tank?

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if Fiberglass resin would do the trick. We sometimes use that to waterproof wood for marine applications. I am not sure if it is reef safe or not though. I think I recall reading that people use fiberglass for building plywood tanks.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for fiberglass I think, there is definitely a two-part resin that dries completely clear and is non-toxic for your aquarium. Look around the internet, you should be able to find it pretty easily.

bmeudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-part clear epoxy or UV resistant clear acrylic. Same stuff the guys from Tanked use.

Merv Himself

View Badges
Reaction score
Sometimes Georgia, Florida, or on Walkabout
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't seem to find any good answers with certainty regarding clear MATTE finishes that can be sprayed or painted onto aquairum decor. There is always talk about "Krylon Fusion" that seems to come up, which is great because it comes in many colors, HOWEVER there is no such thing as "Krylon Fusion Clear Matte Finish". There is Krylon Polyurethane, Krylon UV Resistant Clear, but no Krylon FUSION Clear Matte Finish. I really want something to act as a sealer, not just a paint. So ... I know, I know ... before somebody says it, let me just say "No thank you to Clear 2-part resins. Because they all seem to be glossy and I don't want my final product to look shiney in any way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JP443

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't seem to find any good answers with certainty regarding clear MATTE finishes that can be sprayed or painted onto aquairum decor. There is always talk about "Krylon Fusion" that seems to come up, which is great because it comes in many colors, HOWEVER there is no such thing as "Krylon Fusion Clear Matte Finish". There is Krylon Polyurethane, Krylon UV Resistant Clear, but no Krylon FUSION Clear Matte Finish. I really want something to act as a sealer, not just a paint. So ... I know, I know ... before somebody says it, let me just say "No thank you to Clear 2-part resins. Because they all seem to be glossy and I don't want my final product to look shiney in any way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I know this is old but for anyone looking for the same thing current day, this works really well...

Luv2Laff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old but for anyone looking for the same thing current day, this works really well...
Does it have to be UV resistant? I can only find clear matte acrylic coating. No uv resistant.

Attachments

• 16761406035325549091166509143405.jpg
    16761406035325549091166509143405.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 74

kellene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have to be UV resistant? I can only find clear matte acrylic coating. No uv resistant.
Did you try the matte finish? I am trying to find something to make my epoxy matte. I used epoxy to cover some rocks in my aquarium but hate the shinny finish and need something that is safe for my puffers. Any input would be great!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back