Aquarium stand question

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I built an aquarium stand for a 125g out of 2x8 for upper framing and 2x4 for the rest of the frame. After I finished the stand and set the aquarium on it I noticed the stand was deeper than the aquarium by 2”. So I was wondering if I could just sister in another 2x8 on the back of the frame with carriage bolts? Would the be enough to support the aquarium without having to add more vertical supports to it. Or should I also sister in more vertical supports? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

OP
OP
S

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the stand is 72/12 long by 181/2 wide. It should be 16 1/2 wide. I built the top frame out of 2x8 so it could be unsupported in the middle.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the stand is 72/12 long by 181/2 wide. It should be 16 1/2 wide. I built the top frame out of 2x8 so it could be unsupported in the middle.
@Lost in the Sauce does a ton of structural wood working and may be able to help you out with this.

OP
OP
S

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a couple photos

Attachments

• 7EBD7B53-3F72-4F4C-BA77-EBA9ED4964C5.jpeg
    7EBD7B53-3F72-4F4C-BA77-EBA9ED4964C5.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 3F9FE2FE-20F1-4F9A-B19F-E0EE484C2E6A.jpeg
    3F9FE2FE-20F1-4F9A-B19F-E0EE484C2E6A.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 101

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it would be a lot of shear force on the additional 2x8... I'd put supports under it. Won't take long and you will regret not just doing it when you had the chance when it was just an empty frame. Plus it would be an easy modification, you won't have to take it apart or anything

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I built an aquarium stand for a 125g out of 2x8 for upper framing and 2x4 for the rest of the frame. After I finished the stand and set the aquarium on it I noticed the stand was deeper than the aquarium by 2”. So I was wondering if I could just sister in another 2x8 on the back of the frame with carriage bolts? Would the be enough to support the aquarium without having to add more vertical supports to it. Or should I also sister in more vertical supports? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Can you provide better pics of the whole stand? It might help to see how you joined the frame and what kind of fasteners you used. If I understand correctly the stand is 2" wider than the tank? That shouldn't be an issue so long as the stand was constructed correctly but better pics would help.

OP
OP
S

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide better pics of the whole stand? It might help to see how you joined the frame and what kind of fasteners you used. If I understand correctly the stand is 2" wider than the tank? That shouldn't be an issue so long as the stand was constructed correctly but better pics would help.
I will try to get better pictures, the stand is already wrapped in 3/4 plywood. The lower frame and legs were built out of 2x4. I used pocket screws and wood glue to attach the legs to the frame. I used 2 1/2 pocket screws to attach everything. Laid 2x6 flat for bracing along the bottom, also to attach the 3/4 plywood to for the bottom of the stand.

OP
OP
S

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to get better pictures, the stand is already wrapped in 3/4 plywood. The lower frame and legs were built out of 2x4. I used pocket screws and wood glue to attach the legs to the frame. I used 2 1/2 pocket screws to attach everything. Laid 2x6 flat for bracing along the bottom, also to attach the 3/4 plywood to for the bottom of the stand.
I also have a 2x8 cross brace in the top frame

OP
OP
S

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it would be a lot of shear force on the additional 2x8... I'd put supports under it. Won't take long and you will regret not just doing it when you had the chance when it was just an empty frame. Plus it would be an easy modification, you won't have to take it apart or anything
It’s all skinned out but I could make a few cuts for more supports. Would you bolt them to the bottom frame, or would you need to run another x 4 across the bottom? Just wondering what it would take.

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all skinned out but I could make a few cuts for more supports. Would you bolt them to the bottom frame, or would you need to run another x 4 across the bottom? Just wondering what it would take.
I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly... So let's say the tank footprint is 60x18. You built a stand with a footprint of 60x20. So 2" (in let's say the back wall of the tank) is not directly on top of a horizontal beam. But you want to bolt a horizontal beam inside your current horizontal beam so the tank is fully on the stand.

If that is correct then I would think that you would also need to match the top with an additional horizontal beam across the bottom so you can bolt a vertical beam directly from one to the other. Or just run a screw straight down from the horizontal beam into the vertical beam.

Am I imagining this correctly?

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be fine to sister another 2x8 on the back rail of your stand. Although I'm sure it's not how you wanted it to end up it will add what you need.
I'm a hardwood flooring contractor and a licensed residential builder, this is the same process we use if I need to stiffen a floor joist. By tying the two together one can't move without the other moving. Any load on your added rail will be transfered to your supported rail, it can't move without moving the other which is supported. If it'll keep you up at night add a couple supports.
Congrats putting together your own stand!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
So if I understand this, your tank is now resting on the cross members rather than directly on the 2x8 perimeter of your frame?

That would make me nervous as @His Coral Highness points out that’s a lot of sheer on the glued and screwed joint. The cross pieces aren’t intended to carry load, but keep things together. That said, you could put a vertical 2x4 beneath the cross member and let it span between the cross members and your outside frame. Basically trying to build a strong “cripple” for your frame

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, 2x6 would have been more than enough to hold the 125 tank without a center leg/brace. So you're set when you upgrade to a much larger tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Now as far as the stand being too wide, simply put a couple cross braces on it and top with 3/4 plywood and you'll be just fine. The cross bracing is what is shown in blue in the picture below. Just make it flush with the top frame. I would think 3 cross braces are more than sufficient.

Stand.JPG

If you still want to do the sistering of another board along the length, a 2x4 with glue and screws would be sufficient as long as you again, top with 3/4 plywood. Think of the plywood as a cantilever with the main support all of an inch of so away.

OP
OP
S

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly... So let's say the tank footprint is 60x18. You built a stand with a footprint of 60x20. So 2" (in let's say the back wall of the tank) is not directly on top of a horizontal beam. But you want to bolt a horizontal beam inside your current horizontal beam so the tank is fully on the stand.

If that is correct then I would think that you would also need to match the top with an additional horizontal beam across the bottom so you can bolt a vertical beam directly from one to the other. Or just run a screw straight down from the horizontal beam into the vertical beam.

Am I imagining this correctly?
You are imagining it correctly. I took some photos hope they can help.
So if I understand this, your tank is now resting on the cross members rather than directly on the 2x8 perimeter of your frame?

That would make me nervous as @His Coral Highness points out that’s a lot of sheer on the glued and screwed joint. The cross pieces aren’t intended to carry load, but keep things together. That said, you could put a vertical 2x4 beneath the cross member and let it span between the cross members and your outside frame. Basically trying to build a strong “cripple” for your frame
Actually as it sits now I can just straddle the 2x8 beams by about a 1/4”. I would like to slide the front of the tank forward and sister another x 8 the full length of the stand.

Attachments

• 7BAEE442-6A47-43F0-9074-98A9C5B96CAB.jpeg
    7BAEE442-6A47-43F0-9074-98A9C5B96CAB.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 1201EE10-4E64-4FF3-971C-5DBB005CBCB5.jpeg
    1201EE10-4E64-4FF3-971C-5DBB005CBCB5.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 67
  • F019ADB5-7EA5-4FC3-873E-9BB85A7BF208.jpeg
    F019ADB5-7EA5-4FC3-873E-9BB85A7BF208.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 4ADD4CA7-1C5A-44A0-94A5-C035B31AE776.jpeg
    4ADD4CA7-1C5A-44A0-94A5-C035B31AE776.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 64CDC869-8B02-4759-8CD1-9E00F247758F.jpeg
    64CDC869-8B02-4759-8CD1-9E00F247758F.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 9700F45D-7A4A-4121-9097-EA4298278299.jpeg
    9700F45D-7A4A-4121-9097-EA4298278299.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 75

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, 2x6 would have been more than enough to hold the 125 tank without a center leg/brace. So you're set when you upgrade to a much larger tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Now as far as the stand being too wide, simply put a couple cross braces on it and top with 3/4 plywood and you'll be just fine. The cross bracing is what is shown in blue in the picture below. Just make it flush with the top frame. I would think 3 cross braces are more than sufficient.

Stand.JPG

If you still want to do the sistering of another board along the length, a 2x4 with glue and screws would be sufficient as long as you again, top with 3/4 plywood. Think of the plywood as a cantilever with the main support all of an inch of so away.
Well said and great drawing! I agree, 2x8 framing is more than need and gets the op ready for the next tank upgrade!
I suggested sistering with another 2x8 purely because that's what was already used. Bottom line is they can add a cross brace ,cripple, or sister the rail, all will work. Everyone's got good suggestions, take the easiest path for you out of these and get your tank filled!!

OP
OP
S

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said and great drawing! I agree, 2x8 framing is more than need and gets the op ready for the next tank upgrade!
I suggested sistering with another 2x8 purely because that's what was already used. Bottom line is they can add a cross brace ,cripple, or sister the rail, all will work. Everyone's got good suggestions, take the easiest path for you out of these and get your tank filled!!
So could I just sister without plywood or would plywood make it more sturdy?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back