Aquarium tank weight

Missinglink358

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello. I live in a triple wide home. I am interested in getting a red sea max-s 650 but I am concerned about the weight. The tank is 175 gallons which will weigh approximately 2200 to 2250 pounds. Are my floors rated for this kind of load and how di I go about finding out? Thanks.

andrewey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I would invite you to read this article for your answer. You are likely to get a bunch of anecdotes for/against that size tank in your home, but I think this is one of those times to ignore any anecdotes you get ;)

After reading the article, you would be wise to check with a contractor or other professional.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
If you happen to know the home's manufacturer, they would be a good contact for you. You may also search for a structural engineer in your area for their opinion.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
+1 on all the advise above but... Don't get too carried away. If you have 2x6 or 2x8 joists (standard house joists trailer or not) you should be fine with simple reinforcements whether that be a simple frame to transfer the load to the ground below or cinder blocks and wedges. Both methods have been done hundreds of times before.

Hugh Mann

View Badges
Reaction score
Second all advice.
Definitely consult a professional contractor or engineer.
Odds are that you will be able to reinforce the floor where you can have the tank you want, just depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Jimbhoy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello. I live in a triple wide home. I am interested in getting a red sea max-s 650 but I am concerned about the weight. The tank is 175 gallons which will weigh approximately 2200 to 2250 pounds. Are my floors rated for this kind of load and how di I go about finding out? Thanks.
Welcome to R2R

How do you run activated carbon on your reef tank?

• Reactor

Votes: 303 36.8%
  • Filter Sock

Votes: 38 4.6%
  • Mesh Bag

Votes: 365 44.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 12 1.5%
  • I don't run Carbon

Votes: 105 12.8%

Online statistics

Members online