Aquascape changes at the snap of your fingers.

Would you change your current aquascape if it were as easy as snapping your fingers?

• Yes, would like to make some changes.

Votes: 485 66.1%
  • Nope I’m happy with it!

Votes: 249 33.9%

• Total voters

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been pretty happy with the aquascape and have left it unchanged for the two years it has been up and running. We did move a few months back but I kept it the same (or as close as possible). The pipe organ was taking over the section it was in so I had to move it into the middle which kills the look but I'm finding a new home for it soon.

30830497228_ee6ce9c750_b.jpg

My goals for the aquascape:

50/50 mix of rock to negative space
Swimming room around the entire aquascape (and the ability to clean the back glass)
Keep the rock low so the corals could grow vertically
Keep the aquascape as open as possible on the under side to retain flow throughout
Draw the rockwork out at angles to give sense of depth in an otherwise narrow tank (exacerbated by pushing the rock off the back wall)

36545439020_9a6c7aa6a7_b.jpg

Last edited:

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been pretty happy with the aquascape and have left it unchanged for the two years it has been up and running. We did move a few months back but I kept it the same (or as close as possible). The pipe organ was taking over the section it was in so I had to move it into the middle which kills the look but I'm finding a new home for it soon.

30830497228_ee6ce9c750_b.jpg

My goals for the aquascape:

50/50 mix of rock to negative space
Swimming room around the entire aquascape (and the ability to clean the back glass)
Keeping the rock low so the corals could grow vertically
Keep the aquascape as open as possible on the under side to retain flow throughout
Draw the rockwork out at angles to give sense of depth in an otherwise narrow tank (exacerbated by pushing the rock off the back wall)

36545439020_9a6c7aa6a7_b.jpg

looks really good. I like that. I have zero ability to do something like that without it looking like someone dumped the rocks out into the tank.

Of course, I find Pukani rock extremely hard to shape and design with as well.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoroughly enjoy changing things up often with my rock.

Sometimes I use rods because they're easy to remove versus permanent bonding of the LR.

I tend to do the rearrangements when powered down for a water change and find it relaxing but I'm strange like that. lol

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As I've mentioned in other places some of the best advice I've ever received was that 'each aquarium has a life span'. With that in mind I set out to create rock work that would stay the same even after changing aquariums. I've now moved three times and changed aquariums each time- from a 120g to a 75g to my current aquarium at 220g. My most recent move was into my wife and I's first house where we should stay for some time.

Now, I still need to finish my current tank by adding a structure on the far left but I've otherwise been able to keep the same 'tank' going through 3 moves and 3 different aquariums. Some of the coral has changed naturally but I'm happy with the fact I've been continuously building in one direction for 7 years. One thing to note: The Structures did swap sides after the first move.

2012_1.jpg 2012_2.jpg 2016_1.jpg 2016_2.jpg 2018_1.jpg 2018_2.jpg

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is very involved in this hobby. I do the water changes and take care of plumbing issues but she cleans the tank and does all of the aquascaping. She owned a large flower shop for many years so she has an eye for this kind of stuff. The problem is initially all you have is rock, when you get some corals the rock placement may need to change. As the corals grow it may need to change some more.

Someday maybe I will learn to take better pics.

Our tank is finally getting some maturity. The corals are becoming small colonies instead of 3-4 heads on a disc. I suspect there will me more changes but for now we are satisfied. We have been very careful to keep the rock away from the glass to facilitate cleaning.

At some point we may remove most of the sand, except for what is under the rocks. That would allow more/higher flow.

IMG_0661.JPG

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If changing your aquascape was as easy as snapping your fingers would you change it and why?

Let’s learn from one another by sharing!

Here is my tip: Aquascape with a vision. Envision large mature corals in those spots on the rockwork.

Will they have room to grow upwards or will they be too close to the top of the water?

Will you have room to clean the glass or will there be spots where even a cleaning magnet will not be able to fit?

47931640-B7BA-4169-9238-5EA5B55692D8.jpeg

28DF3B08-4DD8-45F7-ADFF-14CB07A8DC8D.jpeg

Is that one whole rock? Sure looks it!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting feedback so far! Keep it coming!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did anybody else think of Avengers Infinity War when you saw this thread?

1.jpg

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was moving some stuff around when I took a break and came across this thread. I'll need to take a pic once I'm done.

I just gotta watch out for the couple of fireworms I've seen in my rocks over the past month or so;Nailbiting

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change it.. I know what I want I just don't seem to have the right rocks or the artistic way.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to realize getting a taller tank it’s making it harder to aquascape. Keeping rocks low and minimal looks good but it also looks funny in a tall tank. To get the rock tall it takes more room and isn’t very minimal.
This was supposed to be the fun part lol. I refuse to put water in with out the scape being done

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of changing my scape. The scape I have is causing issues with flow. It's also limiting me where I can place some of my corals.
I bought a bunch of rock from my LFS when he moved stores. I did an acid bath then a bleach bath and rinse. The rock was dried out and over the last year I have been working on it.
I put my headphones in and turn up the music. It's almost therapeutic trying to find the right fit for the rocks.

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even started yet but still changing. Can’t figure out how to make it not look like a pile of rocks!

F8042122-FC98-45C5-8D07-5A7C171B90E4.jpeg

irbnick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling right now in my 480, I want to get at least 300 lbs of rock in there, but as others have said I'm not creative so I'm trying my hardest to order some flattops as well as some foundational. I'm going to try to build as much outside of the tank first...

Back