Aquascape changes at the snap of your fingers.

Would you change your current aquascape if it were as easy as snapping your fingers?

• Yes, would like to make some changes.

Votes: 485 66.1%
  • Nope I’m happy with it!

Votes: 249 33.9%

• Total voters

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my scape only thing I would change is the height 1F2B0F53-D1FB-4141-A6AA-7996D83BB1C7.jpeg
Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. Love this.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even started yet but still changing. Can’t figure out how to make it not look like a pile of rocks!

F8042122-FC98-45C5-8D07-5A7C171B90E4.jpeg
I like to lay all my rock out.
Try taking 3 rocks that you really like from all of them.
Take the rock you like most out of the 3.
Turn the rock left, right, sideways or upside down until you like the way it looks. Take a step back and look at it.
Now take the 2nd rock you like better out of the 2 you have left. Keep it separate from the first rock and turn it left, right, sideways and upside down.
Do the same with the 3rd rock.
If one looks better on an angle, take one of your flat rocks and wedge it under, leaning the rock on it.
Combine them all or just 2. Build from there. You want the rocks to almost look like they grew that way.
I keep a bottle of gorilla glue gel handy. If I get the rocks the way I like them but they aren't 100% steady, I dab a little glue and hold it for about 30 seconds. The rock will hold but will also be fairly easy to get apart if you decide you don't like it.
Is your tank the size of the plywood it's sitting on? If so, might I suggest 2 separate islands, one higher than the other? It looks like you have some nice pieces of rock. Take your time, walk away and look at it from further back.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just pile it all together- the natural look of the ocean BUT starting to think of an actual scaping

360fff.png

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reaquascaped my tank almost annually for the last five years. Mostly so my large fish can have swim room once the corals get too big. Its easier to replant mini colonies into a tank than large colonies. The last aquascape I set into my 210 was while it was empty. It was the first time in 30 years that I put rock into a dry tank and I love it. Unfortunately, next year I will have to tear it down again so I can rehome some of my fish.

IMG_2931.JPG

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been seeing more and more snails showing up on the rocks. the hard decision has been to start over, and use reefcleaners rock. I will toss one of the rocks in a QT, and acid wash the rest, but I'm done with pukani. it's been nothing but problems for me.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of problems with Pukani ?

First time around, all kinds of algae issues, this time around, another algae issue where a brown crud just took forever to eradicate (and it still hasn't). My main issue with Pukani is, I find it incredibly difficult to work with in terms of aquascaping, and while it looks awesome, that rock holds all kinds of crud and stuff inside. I don't have the time or effort to blow out each rock every other day.

So it's more about me than the Pukani. I just look at how my biocube has been since I set it up with Marco rocks, and I don't really do much to that tank other than change water and it's flourishing. The 120, with the pukani rock has never really taken off.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the extent of my creativity. Just rearranged it. Took 3 pieces out. I hate pukani rock. Cool idea but everything in the earth gets in there and it’s ridiculously difficult to aquascape with

03aef4f7595ba9f6b24d44125f73a952.jpg

unfortunately, this will be all new rock in a week or so. Anyone near New Castle, DE, I have about 50 lbs (probably more but selling at 50 lbs.) of Pukani that I'm going to acid wash to get rid of the vermetid snails, and then sell at $2/lb.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of problems with Pukani ?
Nothing in general.
It was a ridiculous amount of algae before that phase finally ended.
Looks beautiful.

Kinda funny though.

It is more noticeably "dead coral rock" than the blocks of Fiji or blocks of most mined dry limestone.
Kinda like branch Tonga sortakinda reminds me too much of PVC pipe.

The $ pukani fits in enough with the really porous dry rock.

The $$ Tonga ended up in the unused pile.
[emoji849]

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have ideas in my head of how I want it. But it has to stay. Rock is heavy and I've got issues with my hands. I am so scared I'll accidentally drop a rock and I don't have a replacement tank for my two clowns and pistol shrimp. I added some rubble the other day but not happy with it so it's getting pulled later.
IMG_20180926_122309971.jpg

medicw131

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set out with a vision for sure about how I wanted my scape to look. Although it's ever evolving with coral growth, I'm really happy with how I have the rock in place.

upload_2018-9-28_8-19-9.png

This is the day after I initially set up my system.

upload_2018-9-28_8-21-29.png

This picture was taken two days ago. Still has a lot of filling in to do, but that's fine. I don't want to pack it full of a ton of different frags. I'd rather have a few varieties and let them grow in. Then use frags from those colonies to fill in gaps elsewhere.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back