Aquascape changes at the snap of your fingers.

Would you change your current aquascape if it were as easy as snapping your fingers?

• Yes, would like to make some changes.

Votes: 485 66.1%
  • Nope I’m happy with it!

Votes: 249 33.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If changing your aquascape was as easy as snapping your fingers would you change it and why?

Let’s learn from one another by sharing!

Here is my tip: Aquascape with a vision. Envision large mature corals in those spots on the rockwork.

Will they have room to grow upwards or will they be too close to the top of the water?

Will you have room to clean the glass or will there be spots where even a cleaning magnet will not be able to fit?

47931640-B7BA-4169-9238-5EA5B55692D8.jpeg

28DF3B08-4DD8-45F7-ADFF-14CB07A8DC8D.jpeg

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's something I failed with in my first tank. I rescaped, and I like the way it looks now but I would definitely redo it. My second tank that I just set up about a month ago, I aquascaped with what I'd found out I liked: Lots of sand space, more minimal rockwork, lots of caves, nooks and swimthroughs for fish, and plenty of room for corals to grow into colonies. I am loving it. Can't wait for it to mature a bit more so I can fill it up.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e found less rock looks better , easier to maintain & betterflow to keep detritus from collecting. As for snapping my finger, Do I get multiple snaps or just one?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy with mine as well. I am an artist so the aquascape is very important to me and when I get tired or bored with one, I do not hesitate to change it.

I used to maintain tanks for a lfs and back in the early 2000s some folks still kept fowlr tanks with bleached coral skeletons. I would choose a few of the skeletons with the most algae on them, bleach them, rinse them and then re-aquascape the whole tank and I had tanks ranging from 50 gallons to 250 gallons. Anyway you develop an eye for scapes when you do that, (some of mine in the beginning were pretty bad, ha ha). It does help you get over the intimidation factor however.

2018-09-07_08-41-55 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to make a few changes to mine and at this point I think it mostly equals adding a few more pieces of the right shape and size. Sometimes I just look at it and think man if I had put this one over there or that one up there but for the most part I’m happy with it. Pic from a couple days ago.

878C4CFB-1C5A-4CC2-ADCD-F42EE784181E.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish...

I had to set up my 125 in a rush due to an ich outbreak in my original 55g... Its just stacked... When I buy my first house, I will be upgrading to a tank with more depth, and when I make the move I will scape it how I have always wanted to. I'm just trying to ignore my scape for now knowing it isn't this forever.

TemporaryLightSetup.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I much prefer an open aquascspe - both to provide swimming room and to accommodate coral growth. Eventually the corals grow to the point that intervention is required. Regardless of tank size.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite a finger snap, but adding a blue or black vinyl background would make a major visual difference for your tank.

Set it up in 1 day, literally, with a canister. Didn't know if I was fighting ich or velvet.

The old 55g is now my QT, I am done adding fish after the batch I have going right now. Plan is to convert it to a DIY sump. When I do, I will be draining this tank and everything in it into rubber maid containers. Drilling the side that is currently the front you see here, painting it black, mounting the overflow and then flipping it around before I put everything back in. Sucks, but I had to do it to save my fish.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regret the left side rock. Too close to the glass to clean 2 small sections. It’s all concreted in place and can’t be changed now.

48CA8721-5636-4652-AB69-7FD2EB024FDB.jpeg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still have a similar amount of rock.
The rock is set up as a cube with cutouts. Not just a back wall of rock. Plenty of room for swimming through and around the rocks and lots of home choices for the 14 small fish. Staring at each other in empty space just makes them nervous.

I miss the scuba diving when I lived near the shore in Hawaii. Looking at a near solid rock bank with plenty of cutouts makes it easier to dream.
[emoji4]

I could have kept the rocks a little further from the front glass. Would still have kept 2" of lacey coralline on the bottom front glass, but no more.
The skittish fish and serpent stars interprete the lace of coralline as more rock and hang out in the front of the tank.

Lattice instead of eggcrate to rest the rocks on. With the bottom lattice running front to back.
Lattice would allow more flow. Eggcrate just collects detritus.
[emoji849]
Wasn't comfortable stacking this much rock on the bare glass. Was too afraid of pressure points on the bottom glass.

Tank is mostly soft corals. Planting the spreaders at the tops of lots of spires helps keep them from running amock.
040564c3a2ce1298183773b038b8a635.jpg

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ripped my tank down as I was not happy with the look. Going to start over from scratch.

Mistake was using Walt Smith dry rock they sell. Simply too uniform in shape.

At least in the box I got. Which made it less than ideal.

Will reboot the tank next year sometime.

Fish only for now in a seperate tank.

I am also going to hire someone to build the scape, lack of skill on my part doesn't help...lol

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back