Aquascape Collapse!

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a major collapse in my tank. 2 rocks fell, then I go to move one, and all hell breaks loose. So as a way to help with my frustration, the hermit with the big shell got tossed into the nano. So now I just spent the last hour rescaping, and it looks like S**t! I had to just stop before I broke something on purpose..... God, I love this :crossedlips: hobby!

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it as a good thing, I have a 250 reef and I did some major rock scaping after my first crash a few years ago. I was so much happier with the new rock scaping compared to how it was. I took out 300lbs of rock layed it on a plastic trap and slowy added each piece one by one. Stopping to check, making sure I was creating good caves and shelves for corals. At the end I had one really nice peice of rock left. I found a spot for it and propped it up with a Fiji STICK peice of rock. Looked realy nice, like a natural cave. But every now and then it would fall. I used the puttty glue and small rocks to help keep it in place but I never felt completly sure it would stay. Well I then added a few stick corals to that rock and they started to grow really nice. Then one day I look and it fell over again. I then took about 2hrs to properly tie this rock into place with plastic ties.Even if I take the fiji stick rock out thats used to prop it up it will not move. Just some words of wisdom

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really liked it the way it was, but I do get bored fairly quickly. Things had been in place long enough to grow and look 'natural'. Oh well, I'll attack it again tomorrow, and see what happens

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this trick with my old tank . A really good drill , a lot of elbow grease and some PVC pipes.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch out for a mini cycle. It may happen.
If the sand bed was stirred up do a water change.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HATE when I have to touch the rocks! If I don't get them back just exactly the way I had them, and I never do, it puts me in SUCH a bad mood! It's like they look lower--flatter--never as good. I feel for ya. Majorly.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawls. You clown.

I we mobilize he won't have anything left to call a reef.

Team 6 specializes in extraction!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Urchin was getting good at tossing a particular piece of rock. it is finally epoxy'd in.

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No extraction needed. Thanks.:bigsmile:

It did break a few pieces of stuff here and there, but it's not too bad. some digitata, and a little birdsnest. Somehow there is nowhere for the orange monti cap to go??!!

The best part is, I have a good understanding of my layout now. like where the weak spots are. This will come in handy when I get reef team 6 to help me move the tank about 8 inches off the wall to install my new overflow/sump.:neutral:

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this trick with my old tank . A really good drill , a lot of elbow grease and some PVC pipes.

I wonder if you could get a PVC pipe thats a little flexible and make a arch with some smaller rocks. When I do my larger setup next year, I want a nice arch as the center piece.

Steve

SethTheWineGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled holes through my rock and used fiberglass rods to stack it. Eliminates a lot of issues later on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back