Aquascape with STAX think dimensionally!

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Stax rock myself and love it. I really like what you did with it. Any chance of a new FTS to see your progress?

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh there’s been some changes , but you’ll soon see. Unfortunately they aren’t great ones but hey this is Reed keeping . Not everything always goes your way . :)

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is what it is... if anything, rest assured its nothing one of us (or probably all of us) has not encountered.
I went through an epic Dinoflagellate battle with this tank. It was a nightmare but has now started to turn the corner. The next item on the list is Aptasia.... ugh

Here is a current picture of the state of affairs.

AA7AAD84-873D-4E54-9FFF-859A06FF7BBF.jpeg CB0C6FEA-B4A9-4DB3-95DE-E4150389B318.jpeg D84725FA-2B84-4ECD-B5D8-B6DF910A43DE.jpeg

second_decimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that it is possible to just cover them in a small pile of rubble. the Aptasia moves to the surface and can then be just picked up in its entirety. Sort of like the ones in the sand could just be scooped up and taken out. the rest your file fish will take care of.

before you know it, you will be back on track. That aquascaping really is pretty cool..

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that it is possible to just cover them in a small pile of rubble. the Aptasia moves to the surface and can then be just picked up in its entirety. Sort of like the ones in the sand could just be scooped up and taken out. the rest your file fish will take care of.

before you know it, you will be back on track. That aquascaping really is pretty cool..

Yes I have full confidence in this file fish... he’s a beast! Lol

Thank you for the compliment

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through dinos in my waterbox as well. I got a CBB to take care of my aips and he did a great job.
It was the worst case of Dino’s I’ve ever had out of any tank I’ve ever run, but I learned a lot and now have a great way to destroy them. :)

Amaroq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all said and done did you end up using the entire 120lbs of STAX in this build? I'm considering it for my next build, whenever that happens haha Your scape turned out great though, I imagine the back wall will be a breeze to glue corals onto once your ready to start adding more! Too bad about the aiptasias, algaes I can deal with but living pests are the worst to deal with. I almost shut down my old 75 years ago because of them but a CBB single handedly eliminated them for me in the display at least. Sounds like you'll be in good hands with the filefish!

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all said and done did you end up using the entire 120lbs of STAX in this build? I'm considering it for my next build, whenever that happens haha Your scape turned out great though, I imagine the back wall will be a breeze to glue corals onto once your ready to start adding more! Too bad about the aiptasias, algaes I can deal with but living pests are the worst to deal with. I almost shut down my old 75 years ago because of them but a CBB single handedly eliminated them for me in the display at least. Sounds like you'll be in good hands with the filefish!

Yes I used all 120lbs more or less. Maybe 1 or 2 small pieces leftover. Aptasia is what it is... it’s manageable unlike some other nasty pests.

Moscar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool! I'm doing a far more modest build (24x24x17 Crystal Dynamic) and will be covering my overflow with Marco Rock fragments that I am cutting flat on one side. I feel a lot more relaxed about both the technique and effect now.
Thanks for sharing!

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get all the aptasia if you started with the stax? Did I miss something in the thread.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get all the aptasia if you started with the stax? Did I miss something in the thread.

Nope you didn’t miss a thing. Aptasia is a notorious hitchhiker. It most likely hiked a ride on one of the coral additions. The eradication process has already begun. It won’t be long and they will be gone.

OP
OP
120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CBB took care of my aiptasia problem. ;)
Those are nice but I’ve had some that did well and others that haven’t. This file fish has knocked out about half of them in 2 days.

txrdnk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been thinking about this type of scape since i saw people using greatstuff and eggcrate. my one unknown fear was the silicone not adhering to the rock once completely saturated. have you experienced this or is there enough "bite" because of the rocks porousness? i love this look and proof of concept. thanks in advance for any help or advice

Back