Aquascaping Advice

Homestarmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening! I’m working on my first reef tank and put together my initial aquascape over the weekend. I’m looking for some advices/critiques of what I put together - I think it looks good and will work, but would love some outside input just to make sure I’m heading in the right direction.

Thanks!

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don’t see anything.

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I’d want more rock for filtration, but I like what you have going on with arches and caves. If you have a sump that you’re planning to keep more rock in, this could be fine. What kind of fish/corals are you planning for?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool scape! I'd maybe add a little live rock to help with biological filtration/biodiversity once you've got water, but other than that, looks really nice!

OP
OP
Homestarmy

Homestarmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t settled on the coral yet. Probably start out with Zoas on the isolated small islands, then I’m not certain.

As for fish, I’m looking at to do as much captive bred as I can, so looking at Royal Gramma, some Cardinal Fish, I’d like a goby/Pistol Shrimp pair (maybe a Yasha’s goby) , possibly a Coral Beauty.

OP
OP
Homestarmy

Homestarmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool scape! I'd maybe add a little live rock to help with biological filtration/biodiversity once you've got water, but other than that, looks really nice!
Thanks! I go back and forth on the live rock. I understand that Carib Sea has a sand that’s direct from the ocean. I was contemplating mixing that a larger grain sand or coral.

OP
OP
Homestarmy

Homestarmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I’d want more rock for filtration, but I like what you have going on with arches and caves. If you have a sump that you’re planning to keep more rock in, this could be fine. What kind of fish/corals are you planning for?
I’m not opposed to adding more rock. Actually, I was thinking of builders my the back section up to about 16” (it’s currently about 12”).

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I go back and forth on the live rock. I understand that Carib Sea has a sand that’s direct from the ocean. I was contemplating mixing that a larger grain sand or coral.

I suggest ordering real live rock from the ocean either through KPAquatics or TBSaltwater. It's aquacultured by placing dry rock on the sea floor for a few years, so don't worry about sustainability. Don't believe the hype from CaribSea, their sand won't do anything. I'm pretty sure they just take their sand from a beach somewhere, I've found little bits of plastic and seaweed in mine. It won't help the biological system very much, if at all.

Don't worry about hitchhikers on the rock. There are three things inevitable in this world if you ask me: death, taxes, and aquarium pests. I suggest preparing to contain and defend against hitchhikers instead of trying to stop them from entering the system in the first place. It'll make your life easier, you won't need to worry about something nasty on every coral or snail you buy. You'll also get some good hitchhikers which make the whole thing more fun. I have pistol shrimp, sea urchins, macroalgae, a curlicue anemone, and a little bit of wild SPS coral on mine. Totally worth the bubble algae.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back