Aquascaping for a Zebra Moray Eel

BTFU4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on ideas for aquascaping my new 300 gallon FOWLR tank. I would like to have a zebra moray eel as part of my FOWLR tank and trying to figure out how I want to aquascape. I would like to use a PVC tunnel for the eel, but trying to figure out the right size. I can't find much information online about how "tall" they get. While I want a big enough tunnel, I don't want to take up extra space in the tank by using a size that is bigger than needed. I am thinking either 3" or 4" PVC. Anyone habe a zebra moray eel that can provide some feedback on the appropriate size for the pvc tunnel?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might not use the tube, but it is still a good idea. It can also get filled up with snails, crabs and other substrate so be prepared to blow it out. 3" should be fine, but 1.5 when they are smaller - they typically come in about the girth of a golf ball. If it ever gets to 4-5 feet, then you can always put in a new pipe.

In addition to the tube, just stack up rock in a pile so that it can just get in there and hide - no caves and arches and other things that humans like.

Unlike the other pebbletoothed eels, the zebra can just go away to be barely seen and not eat for weeks or a month... like a mini hibernation. It freaked me out at first, but then I found out that it was pretty normal. They need to completely get away and hide.

They are pretty cool and chill fish, I found.

dcfdgaloot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's over three feet long and fits 1.5" PVC no problem. At times he's folded up inside of it. Think head and tail out the same opening. I'd say 2" PVC will more than suffice for a long time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back