Aquascaping

BubbleAlgaeFarmer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 4, 2024
Messages
296
Reaction score
168
Location
Massachusetts
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after watching many hours of youtube videos, i built my aquascape. Just like all the vids, i had tons of arches and overhangs. I thought it looked great.

Fast forward a year and a half, my fish seem angry and there appears to be some fighting for space. This is when it dawned on me that what the fish wanted and what these videos portrayed, were not the same.

Fish wanted caves and protective structure. Since adding a bunch more caves, my fish appear to have settled down.

I’m posting this as something to consider to those that are working on an aquascape for their latest build. That said, i’m sure many will read this and say “ no kidding sherlock”. lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, unfortunately many aquarists do not give any thought to what helps fish feel comfortable in a system. Another consideration is how are fish going to act as they mature. Social dynamics with adult fish can be very different from juveniles. Whatever the case, aquarists need to be always ready to rehome fish.
 
So after watching many hours of youtube videos, i built my aquascape. Just like all the vids, i had tons of arches and overhangs. I thought it looked great.

Fast forward a year and a half, my fish seem angry and there appears to be some fighting for space. This is when it dawned on me that what the fish wanted and what these videos portrayed, were not the same.

Fish wanted caves and protective structure. Since adding a bunch more caves, my fish appear to have settled down.

I’m posting this as something to consider to those that are working on an aquascape for their latest build. That said, i’m sure many will read this and say “ no kidding sherlock”. lol
Yep, it is common not to be satisfied with our aquascapes. I liked mine, but had issues with the stability of it
 
Yea, each day I’m kinda just thinking a rubble (not “rubble” size) pile is what I should always do in the future. Just throw it in, leave it where it lies and maybe make sure it’s all snug enough; there’s bound to be nooks and crannies … I get easily frustrated with aquascaping.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new