Aquatic Life Debuts LED/T5HO Hybrid Mounting System Fixture Reef Hobbyists Have Been Waiting For!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more overkill than a 48 over a 48x18x16 (~same depth and width as a 40 breeder)

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, you will have plenty of space down the middle of the 61".

So there will be a 61" version of the DX18 coming? Because that would be awesome! Everything I saw online was showing 48" as the largest size. Also, will the LED mounting brackets for it, or the current one, work with the new Red Sea ReefLED 90's, or are you working on getting something compatible? Those are the lights I have coming.

tvpham93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't going to be a 61' one. The longest ballast available for dimmable is the 48'

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I looked at the Red Sea LED today and it looks like you can remove the top of the LED and exchange out the screw to mount to our universal LED bracket. Our M4 screw threads into the heat sink no problem and it looks like you would need a screw length of 30 - 32 mm in length. Looking to see if I can locate a M4 screw with a 32 mm length and screw head diameter of around 7.9mm so that the cover could be reattached over the fan. One of the local stores did something similar and it looked pretty good. Will keep everyone updated.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the Red Sea LED today and it looks like you can remove the top of the LED and exchange out the screw to mount to our universal LED bracket. Our M4 screw threads into the heat sink no problem and it looks like you would need a screw length of 30 - 32 mm in length. Looking to see if I can locate a M4 screw with a 32 mm length and screw head diameter of around 7.9mm so that the cover could be reattached over the fan. One of the local stores did something similar and it looked pretty good. Will keep everyone updated.

Awesome! Thank you for following up... Just to confirm though, the new fixture won't come in a 61" length? I honestly don't even care if that size won't have dimmable ballasts, I just think it looks a lot better than the current version.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Awesome! Thank you for following up... Just to confirm though, the new fixture won't come in a 61" length? I honestly don't even care if that size won't have dimmable ballasts, I just think it looks a lot better than the current version.

We were discussing this today. We are looking at the DX18 housing in 61" without dimming (calling it the X18) as there are no dimming ballast. We are asking customers if they want one power cord or two and if two, should we separate the lamps one front and back the other two in the middle?

One of the biggest obstacles will be shipping. Its a big box and really light! As it is a fully assembled fixture.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were discussing this today. We are looking at the DX18 housing in 61" without dimming (calling it the X18) as there are no dimming ballast. We are asking customers if they want one power cord or two and if two, should we separate the lamps one front and back the other two in the middle?

One of the biggest obstacles will be shipping. Its a big box and really light! As it is a fully assembled fixture.

I already have the older version, but I really haven't seen the need to have any T5 fixture be dimmable; specially if using with LED. Also, having a single power cord would be phenomenal.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd be all about it! As it stands, I'm torn between your current fixture, and its equivalent Giesemann, mainly due to aesthetics... But if it'll be coming, I can wait for your new one. I would definitely prefer one power cord, if that's possible, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm not sure I follow the second part of your question though, what do you mean separate the lamps one front and back, and two in the middle? Don't all four lamps run the full length of the fixture?

Last edited:

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be all about it! As it stands, I'm torn between your current fixture, and its equivalent Giesemann, mainly due to aesthetics... But if it'll be coming, I can wait for your new one. I would definitely prefer one power cord, if that's possible, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm not sure I follow the second part of your question though, what do you mean separate the one lamps front and back, and two in the middle? Don't all four lamps run the full length of the fixture?

I think he means that with 2 cords, they will power a T5 bulb in each fixture. So 1 in front and 1 in back for one cord, etc.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If sticking with two cords, the banks could be separated to one front / one rear, instead of the rear rear / front front as they currently are wired.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he means that with 2 cords, they will power a T5 bulb in each fixture. So 1 in front and 1 in back for one cord, etc.

That makes sense. In that case, for cable management purposes, coming out of the middle would probably be best... If that's not possible, then both at one end of the fixture would be ideal; having them on opposite ends would look a bit cluttered, in my opinion.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Thanks for the input. Will be finalizing the details soon. With the longer cords it may work best to have the one power cord. Makes it much easier to run the wires in the fixture and keeps the internals a lot more organized. Just waiting on a few more peoples input for a final decision.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Whats the current msrp for the dx18?

They have not been finalized yet but the 48" looks like it will be around $600.00 give or take $30.00. The retailers will be able to adjust their retails as they want. We do not have MAP on the products.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Will be finalizing the details soon. With the longer cords it may work best to have the one power cord. Makes it much easier to run the wires in the fixture and keeps the internals a lot more organized. Just waiting on a few more peoples input for a final decision.

I know that the 61 is obviously still in the planning planning stages, but do you have any kind of rough guess as to when they might be available?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back