Aqueous Megaflop's and the Triton Method?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BobNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for about 7 years. I am just change out my sump and a bunch of other equipment and will be switching over to the Triton Method. The tank is a Aqueon 125g reef ready with Megaflow overflows. I am concerned that the 1" overflow's and 3/4" returns won't give me the flow I will need to get the 10x flow rate through the sump. My return pump will be a Reef Octopus varioS 8.
Has anyone had any success using the aqueous Megalow's?
My other option is to switch out the megaflow plumbing to run a full siphon and bring the return up over the side of the tank. The tank is against the wall, so the return would have to come up over the left side of the tank. The advantage to this is I can run a 1" - 1 1/4" return line and not have the loss of reducing down and splitting into two 3/4" returns. It would just be a bit of an eye sore on the side of the tank. I am happy to stay with the Aqueon plumbing if it will work. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
B

BobNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for about 7 years. I am just change out my sump and a bunch of other equipment and will be switching over to the Triton Method. The tank is a Aqueon 125g reef ready with Megaflow overflows. I am concerned that the 1" overflow's and 3/4" returns won't give me the flow I will need to get the 10x flow rate through the sump. My return pump will be a Reef Octopus varioS 8.
Has anyone had any success using the aqueous Megalow's?
My other option is to switch out the megaflow plumbing to run a full siphon and bring the return up over the side of the tank. The tank is against the wall, so the return would have to come up over the left side of the tank. The advantage to this is I can run a 1" - 1 1/4" return line and not have the loss of reducing down and splitting into two 3/4" returns. It would just be a bit of an eye sore on the side of the tank. I am happy to stay with the Aqueon plumbing if it will work. Any thoughts?

LOL... Auto correct butchered my title :mad: Although Megaflop's is probably a more accurate name for them :)

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my return up over the side out of Sch 80 pipe and use both Megaflow holes as drains. I think you might have some trouble pushing 1250 gph through two one inch holes even at full siphon. That being said, I doubt you could get 1250 GPH from the Varios 8. My varios 4 at max was in the low 300s.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1" drains are capable of flowing approx 2200gph under full siphon so you are fine there but the 3/4" are closer 1200gph (these figures dont account for loss due to fittings etc. either).

OP
OP
B

BobNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guy's.

I think I am going to run a full siphon like ReeferBob did in this thread.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...flows-into-a-full-siphon-drain-system.261720/

It uses the 1" drains for the full siphon and the 3/4" as the open. I will run 1 1/4" return and hope for the best from the varioS 8. If it can't give me the flow I need I may consider adding another return and pump that I will also run a manifold on. Or just get a stronger pump. That will sue 4 elbows to get me into the tank and another in the tank to redirect the flow from shooting straight down. I would imagine that will give me quite a bit of loss.

Back