AR Pro algae reactor vs IceCap Turf Scrubber

espieg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired both a Pacific Sun AR Pro medium algae reactor and an icecap 20 watt turf scrubber. I’m wondering if one will do better than the other or if they’re both fairly similar?

NatsRams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this question because I was about to post a similar question. My question, however, is focused on nitrate reduction. I’m just wondering if macro algae would absorb nitrate from the water more efficiently than whatever you want to call it that grows in a turf scrubber.

TIA

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Reviving this question because I was about to post a similar question. My question, however, is focused on nitrate reduction. I’m just wondering if macro algae would absorb nitrate from the water more efficiently than whatever you want to call it that grows in a turf scrubber.

TIA
That is a great question which I may or may not be able to answer. I have a predator tank with some GSP. It was rocking the nitrates at one point over 200. I had a refugium running opposite my display lights but the macro wasn’t growing worth a darn, yet the turf algae etc was doing well in the display. I added an ATS and seeded it with some of the GHA from the display and it grows really well so guessing I’m pulling more nitrates with it. I got the in sump stand alone ice cap and it is easy to maintain. Have some cheato in the refugium still but it doesn’t seem to be growing.
However it does grow in my other fuges so don’t know why.
I finally had to resort to carbon dosing to get them down and hoping that I can start to control nitrates without it in the near future.

NatsRams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great question which I may or may not be able to answer. I have a predator tank with some GSP. It was rocking the nitrates at one point over 200. I had a refugium running opposite my display lights but the macro wasn’t growing worth a darn, yet the turf algae etc was doing well in the display. I added an ATS and seeded it with some of the GHA from the display and it grows really well so guessing I’m pulling more nitrates with it. I got the in sump stand alone ice cap and it is easy to maintain. Have some cheato in the refugium still but it doesn’t seem to be growing.
However it does grow in my other fuges so don’t know why.
I finally had to resort to carbon dosing to get them down and hoping that I can start to control nitrates without it in the near future.
The nitrates in my tank (mix reef) aren’t very high (measured at 11ppm last weekend), but they’ve been climbing of late. I have the scrubber, which isn’t keeping up obviously. I have some chaeto in the sump that has hung on despite no illumination. So, IDK what to do other than water changes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I recently acquired both a Pacific Sun AR Pro medium algae reactor and an icecap 20 watt turf scrubber. I’m wondering if one will do better than the other or if they’re both fairly similar?
I run the ice Cap 60wt version and have had other scrubbers and this is by far my best unit. keeps nitrates controlled and Very easy to clean

1682184201633.png
1682184211886.png

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The nitrates in my tank (mix reef) aren’t very high (measured at 11ppm last weekend), but they’ve been climbing of late. I have the scrubber, which isn’t keeping up obviously. I have some chaeto in the sump that has hung on despite no illumination. So, IDK what to do other than water changes.
How often do you harvest the Algea. What is your photo period (24/7 or less)?

NatsRams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you harvest the Algea. What is your photo period (24/7 or less)?
Probably every couple of weeks from the scrubber. The lights are on for 24/7. The pic shows what is on the scrubber screen.

I do have quite a bit of bubble algae in the DT that I started harvesting a couple weekends ago. But I did that not as a nutrient export mechanism but simply as an effort to deal with a nuisance.

Attachments

• 5500DBC0-B6D1-4046-B649-6ADF4622C36A.jpeg
    5500DBC0-B6D1-4046-B649-6ADF4622C36A.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 28

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Probably every couple of weeks from the scrubber. The lights are on for 24/7. The pic shows what is on the scrubber screen.

I do have quite a bit of bubble algae in the DT that I started harvesting a couple weekends ago. But I did that not as a nutrient export mechanism but simply as an effort to deal with a nuisance.
Sorry been busy. I think I found when I had a algae issue in the tank I had trouble growing Algea elsewhere in fuge or scrubber. So having the bubble algae may restrict the growth in your scrubber. If your nitrates have been controlled but now are climbing it is possible that either your fish have grown increasing output, or as often happens to me, I start to feed more without noticing.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason Langer, who makes delicious cookies but also excellent algae scrubbers that he sells through four square aquatics has been keeping detailed info on harvest amounts and nutrient levels for his algae scrubber. He shared info about it on the reef beef discord, I'll tag him here in case he wants to respond, but I'm not sure how active he is. @jlanger

Ironfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the ice Cap 60wt version and have had other scrubbers and this is by far my best unit. keeps nitrates controlled and Very easy to clean

1682184201633.png
1682184211886.png
Hi,
Im looking to get the IceCap Pro Large and easy to clean and maintain are key!

How much vertical room do you need to easily take the screen out to clean it?
Looking to fit this in the sump of a Red Sea Reefer 1000 G2.

You just have to turn off the pump and pull out the screens? Anything else maintenance wise?
How often do you pull it out to scrub the algae?

Thanks,

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,
Im looking to get the IceCap Pro Large and easy to clean and maintain are key!

How much vertical room do you need to easily take the screen out to clean it?
Looking to fit this in the sump of a Red Sea Reefer 1000 G2.

You just have to turn off the pump and pull out the screens? Anything else maintenance wise?
How often do you pull it out to scrub the algae?

Thanks,
I have a shutoff on inlet and close it while I do maintenance. Easiest mount is on top of a piece of shelving glass. Very easy removal of screen for cleaning.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%

Back