Aragonite Sand And Phosphate Adsorption

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the near future, I will looking at how phosphate adsorbed to aragonite sand affects nuisance algae growth. I wondered about the phosphate molecules hopping on and off the sand grains. How fast does does sand bind PO4? How much phosphate does a gram of aragonite sugar sand adsorb? Does the bound PO4 come off? How fast does it come off? Here is a description of my experiments and results.

Methods. About 3 grams (measured) of washed CaribSea aragonite sand and 40 mL Instant Ocean containing phosphate were placed in a plastic 50 mL screw cap centrifuge tube and placed horizontally on an orbital shaker to gently rock the solution over the shallow bed of sand for 24 hours in the dark. The final phosphate concentration of the Instant Ocean solution was determined with the Hanna low range phosphate Checker. The difference between the initial and final concentrations corresponded to the amount of phosphate adsorbed by the sample of sand.

Desorption experiments were carried in the centrifuge tubes containing sand used in the absorption study and 40 mL 0 ppm phosphate Instant Ocean. The capped centrifuge tubes were placed horizontally on an orbital shaker for several days in the dark.

Results. Phosphate binding occurred within 6 hours but adsorption experiments were equilibrated for 24 hours to ensure the results were closer to equilibrium. The first plot below shows the amount of phosphate adsorbed at different equilibrium phosphate concentrations. The second plot shows that only a fraction of the adsorbed phosphate leaves the sand surface quickly. This is consistent with observations that removing surface bound phosphate from aragonite rocks requires a long wait.

8F010930-CC8E-45AA-83A9-33372DBB69E5.png

AA0C8200-8865-419F-8ED0-82B988BED5D9.png

How do the adsorption results compare to the scientific literature (Millero, 2001) and the JDA study (Post #70 for results)? The chart below summarizes what we might guesstimate about how much phosphate is bound to 20 pounds of aragonite sand equilibrated at 0.5 ppm phosphate. Because adsorption is a surface phenomenon, the amount of available surface area per unit mass needs to be known to accurately predict the bound phosphate. We do not have this number for each material in the table but we can make some educated guesses and discuss the estimates.

BBAF508C-9325-4401-9675-0BEE076A0F73.png

Millero synthesized aragonite and likely obtained a very fine precipitate. Similar synthesizes generated material with particles in the range of 50-100 microns. Materials with such a particle size in nature are classified as silt and estimated to have a surface area per gram of around 400 cm^2. The sand that I studied has particle sizes smaller than 1 mm, making it a fine to coarse sand with an estimated surface area per gram of 23-45 cm^2. With these crude estimates, the 10x range in surface area can explain much of the difference in adsorbed phosphate between my results and Millero’s. Can a surface area difference explain why large chunks of aragonite in JDA’s experiment adsorb so much more phosphate than Millero’s silty aragonite?

The simple answer is that the phosphate binding rate cannot exceed the limit observed by Millero, but lets think about this further. If the phosphate binding rate is 10X Millero’s, the surface area would have to be 10x higher or 4000 cm^2 per gram! Surface area could be larger than the visible surface area for a chunk of aragonite if it were full of capillaries like those that give granular activated carbon its high surface area. Whether this type of network of capillaries actually exist in aragonite and is accessible in part or in its entirety to phosphate remains to be demonstrated in a study such as Millero’s. An alternative explanation (just an idea, I haven't tested this in the lab) for the high adsorption rate in JDA’s experiment is the precipitation of phosphate salts during the solids addition of the very basic trisodium phosphate to artificial saltwater. What would be useful in dealing with this contradictory data is for someone to identify a source of clean highly porous aragonite that can be tested for its ability to bind phosphate. Even repeating JDA’s work with Millero’s protocol would be very interesting.

Looking forwards to your questions, comments or suggestions.

Dan

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forwards to the reality check :)
I got 45kgs of what I presume is calcite and some TSP. If I’m gonna join the party have I gotta get a Hanna? I gave up on phos in my tank but may as well put the sand to use. You’d have to talk me through it it though, step by step, I’m a bit of an;

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 45kgs of what I presume is calcite and some TSP. If I’m gonna join the party have I gotta get a Hanna? I gave up on phos in my tank but may as well put the sand to use. You’d have to talk me through it it though, step by step, I’m a bit of an;

Do you actually mean calcite? That’s a different form of calcium carbonate

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you actually mean calcite? That’s a different form of calcium carbonate
Dunno what it is but from what I remember from donkeys ago, the 7 day exposure to phosphate is similar. This stuff certainly dissolves readily with acid.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you are ready to go, I would be happy to discuss the approach you would like to try. A Hanna PO4 Checker is not required. We are looking for a big effect. High accuracy and precision is nice but not required to detect such an effect.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are ready to go, I would be happy to discuss the approach you would like to try. A Hanna PO4 Checker is not required. We are looking for a big effect. High accuracy and precision is nice but not required to detect such an effect.
Ok, thanks. I’ve put 1 inch of the sand into a salt bucket topped up to 12 inches with RODI Tropic Marin Classic at 35ppt to see if anything leaches before needing advice on Tri Sodium Phosphate addition etc. Circulation is provided by a small Powerhead positioned just above the sand creating a vortex of swirlyness in the bucket. I think I’ll leave it a few days, then test, if that sounds ok.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan, nice!

Qs,
Let's see if I'm understanding your data right.

The first plot below shows the amount of phosphate adsorbed at different equilibrium phosphate concentrations.

If I take your fit line and think about what's happening at 20ug/g bound, times 3g material = 60ug PO4. 60ug in 40mL = 1500ug/L = 1.5ppm reduced concentration in the water. The fit line suggests equilibrium concentration would be ~1.3ppm.
So does that mean with an initial amount of PO4 in the water of ~2.5 to 3ppm, the aragonite would bind ~1.5ppm and equilibrium would be ~1.3ppm in these tests. Is that a correct interpretation?

Q2 any chance that running samples through a syringe filter before the test would change anything?
I previously thought not likely, but I've seen enough people report lower hanna PO4 results after filtering - some ran Lanthanum, others not - that maybe fine aragonite particles is a more widespread possibility than I thought. Anyway, new sand in those tubes on orbital shaker seems a good way to generate fine aragonite particles in the water.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, Question 3)
Does your aragonite sand if simply allowed to come to equilibrium with clean Instant Ocean release any significant PO4?
in your graph 1, the fit line seems to run through zero,zero which implies the answer is "no"

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the near future, I will looking at how phosphate adsorbed to aragonite sand affects nuisance algae growth. I wondered about the phosphate molecules hopping on and off the sand grains. How fast does does sand bind PO4? How much phosphate does a gram of aragonite sugar sand adsorb? Does the bound PO4 come off? How fast does it come off? Here is a description of my experiments and results.

Methods. About 3 grams (measured) of washed CaribSea aragonite sand and 40 mL Instant Ocean containing phosphate were placed in a plastic 50 mL screw cap centrifuge tube and placed horizontally on an orbital shaker to gently rock the solution over the shallow bed of sand for 24 hours in the dark. The final phosphate concentration of the Instant Ocean solution was determined with the Hanna low range phosphate Checker. The difference between the initial and final concentrations corresponded to the amount of phosphate adsorbed by the sample of sand.

Desorption experiments were carried in the centrifuge tubes containing sand used in the absorption study and 40 mL 0 ppm phosphate Instant Ocean. The capped centrifuge tubes were placed horizontally on an orbital shaker for several days in the dark.

Results. Phosphate binding occurred within 6 hours but adsorption experiments were equilibrated for 24 hours to ensure the results were closer to equilibrium. The first plot below shows the amount of phosphate adsorbed at different equilibrium phosphate concentrations. The second plot shows that only a fraction of the adsorbed phosphate leaves the sand surface quickly. This is consistent with observations that removing surface bound phosphate from aragonite rocks requires a long wait.

AA0C8200-8865-419F-8ED0-82B988BED5D9.png

How do the adsorption results compare to the scientific literature (Millero, 2001) and the JDA study (Post #70 for results)? The chart below summarizes what we might guesstimate about how much phosphate is bound to 20 pounds of aragonite sand equilibrated at 0.5 ppm phosphate. Because adsorption is a surface phenomenon, the amount of available surface area per unit mass needs to be known to accurately predict the bound phosphate. We do not have this number for each material in the table but we can make some educated guesses and discuss the estimates.

BBAF508C-9325-4401-9675-0BEE076A0F73.png

Millero synthesized aragonite and likely obtained a very fine precipitate. Similar synthesizes generated material with particles in the range of 50-100 microns. Materials with such a particle size in nature are classified as silt and estimated to have a surface area per gram of around 400 cm^2. The sand that I studied has particle sizes smaller than 1 mm, making it a fine to coarse sand with an estimated surface area per gram of 23-45 cm^2. With these crude estimates, the 10x range in surface area can explain much of the difference in adsorbed phosphate between my results and Millero’s. Can a surface area difference explain why large chunks of aragonite in JDA’s experiment adsorb so much more phosphate than Millero’s silty aragonite?

The simple answer is that the phosphate binding rate cannot exceed the limit observed by Millero, but lets think about this further. If the phosphate binding rate is 10X Millero’s, the surface area would have to be 10x higher or 4000 cm^2 per gram! Surface area could be larger than the visible surface area for a chunk of aragonite if it were full of capillaries like those that give granular activated carbon its high surface area. Whether this type of network of capillaries actually exist in aragonite and is accessible in part or in its entirety to phosphate remains to be demonstrated in a study such as Millero’s. An alternative explanation (just an idea, I haven't tested this in the lab) for the high adsorption rate in JDA’s experiment is the precipitation of phosphate salts during the solids addition of the very basic trisodium phosphate to artificial saltwater. What would be useful in dealing with this contradictory data is for someone to identify a source of clean highly porous aragonite that can be tested for its ability to bind phosphate. Even repeating JDA’s work with Millero’s protocol would be very interesting.

Looking forwards to your questions, comments or suggestions.

Dan
Fantastic work as always Dan :) are you already working on the phase two?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. I’ve put 1 inch of the sand into a salt bucket topped up to 12 inches with RODI Tropic Marin Classic at 35ppt to see if anything leaches before needing advice on Tri Sodium Phosphate addition etc. Circulation is provided by a small Powerhead positioned just above the sand creating a vortex of swirlyness in the bucket. I think I’ll leave it a few days, then test, if that sounds ok.

Penetration of phosphate into the sand may be a pretty slow step and depend on whether there is any actual flow through the sand, or pure diffusion, which is quite slow.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good set up.

Since there is one inch of sand, definitely let the experiment run one week to ensure PO4 has time to diffuse from the bottom of the sand bed. We will need to estimate a weight for the sand bed if we want estimate how much phosphate came of per gram.

How much water is 12 inches of water, about 8 liters?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good set up.

Since there is one inch of sand, definitely let the experiment run one week to ensure PO4 has time to diffuse from the bottom of the sand bed. We will need to estimate a weight for the sand bed if we want estimate how much phosphate came of per gram.

How much water is 12 inches of water, about 8 liters?
20 liters, if I get any result worth investigating I can dry and weigh the sand afterwards, I’m in no rush. :)

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan, nice!

Qs,
Let's see if I'm understanding your data right.

If I take your fit line and think about what's happening at 20ug/g bound, times 3g material = 60ug PO4. 60ug in 40mL = 1500ug/L = 1.5ppm reduced concentration in the water. The fit line suggests equilibrium concentration would be ~1.3ppm.
So does that mean with an initial amount of PO4 in the water of ~2.5 to 3ppm, the aragonite would bind ~1.5ppm and equilibrium would be ~1.3ppm in these tests. Is that a correct interpretation?
The concentration is the equilibrium concentration of PO4

You will need to pick a volume of water and a mass of sand to make your prediction. 1 g of sand with 1 mL of 3 ppm PO4 gives a different answer than does 1 g of sand with 1 L of 3 ppm PO4.

Q2 any chance that running samples through a syringe filter before the test would change anything?
I previously thought not likely, but I've seen enough people report lower hanna PO4 results after filtering - some ran Lanthanum, others not - that maybe fine aragonite particles is a more widespread possibility than I thought. Anyway, new sand in those tubes on orbital shaker seems a good way to generate fine aragonite particles in the water.
HaHa, maybe if I had filter the solution before testing, the title of this post would have been “PO4 adsorption by aragonite a myth”.

You are thinking hazy solutions increase PO4 reading, right? And aquarium water could certainly be hazy with or without aragonite. As for my test solution, they were crystal clear as judged by passing a strong light through the test vial and inspecting it for haze. Not fool proof though. As for the sand, it was washed in water with intense agitation provided by a high speed power drill fitted with a paint mixer until the wash water was clear. The agitation on the orbital shaker rocked the water over a very shallow sand bed but did not suspend sand particles. No particle attrition like you might get with GFO or even GAC.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, Question 3)
Does your aragonite sand if simply allowed to come to equilibrium with clean Instant Ocean release any significant PO4?
in your graph 1, the fit line seems to run through zero,zero which implies the answer is "no"
Not sure why I did not think of this control.

Another question that might be asked is whether aragonite sand, equilibrated at 0.5 ppm PO4, dried and then placed in 0.5 ppm PO4, would adsorb additional PO4? I think a popular opinion is that if it was placed in Instant Ocean it would release PO4.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to pick a volume of water and a mass of sand to make your prediction.
Okay, I pick your tubes as the volume and mass. 40 mL of water and 3 g of sand. If equilibrium concentration was about 1.3 ppm po4 and your amount absorbed by the aragonite was 20 ug/g (pulled those numbers from your fit line),...
Then what concentration would the water have gone in with before it met the sand? 2.5-3 ppm?

You are thinking hazy solutions increase PO4 reading, right?
Nah, more that any aragonite dust that made its way into the hanna cuvette would release bound po4 in the test. So in the unlikely event there was aragonite dust, then the actual water po4 level could have been lower than the Hanna test would show.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I pick your tubes as the volume and mass. 40 mL of water and 3 g of sand. If equilibrium concentration was about 1.3 ppm po4 and your amount absorbed by the aragonite was 20 ug/g (pulled those numbers from your fit line),...
Then what concentration would the water have gone in with before it met the sand? 2.5-3 ppm?

2.8 ppm

Nah, more that any aragonite dust that made its way into the hanna cuvette would release bound po4 in the test. So in the unlikely event there was aragonite dust, then the actual water po4 level could have been lower than the Hanna test would show.

Let’s use the scenario of 3 g sand at equilibrium with 1.3 ppm PO4 solution. 1 mg of aragonite dust in the PO4 test increases the results by 0.002 ppm. If I am not paying attention and I don’t notice 10 mg of dust, then my measurement is high by 0.02 ppm for the 1.3 ppm reading. Makes you wonder about reports that pre-filtration affects a phosphate test.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s use the scenario of 3 g sand at equilibrium with 1.3 ppm PO4 solution. 1 mg of aragonite dust in the PO4 test increases the results by 0.002 ppm.
Yep, you're right!
Since there's no way a significant fraction of the aragonite in the sample could sneak into the cuvette, there's no way that what does sneak in could be a big portion of what was bound from the water.

Makes you wonder about reports that pre-filtration affects a phosphate test.
I measured much higher PO4 from sandbed porewater thank my tank. I've wondered since then if it was just water, or also the fine aragonite dust my sandbed generates that was being measured.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measured much higher PO4 from sandbed porewater thank my tank. I've wondered since then if it was just water, or also the fine aragonite dust my sandbed generates that was being measured.

I also remember measuring PO4 levels in pore water higher than aquarium water. I seem to recall filtering the pore water because it was a cloudy sample and still it was elevated. My impression is that pore water has higher nutrient levels than water above the substrate.

Measuring the amount of bound PO4 on aquarium sand is on my to-do list. I am also curious what a biofilm does to PO4 binding and whether cleaning the sand with my power drill, and then by boiling water increases binding.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back