Aragonite Sand And Phosphate Adsorption

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why I did not think of this control.

Another question that might be asked is whether aragonite sand, equilibrated at 0.5 ppm PO4, dried and then placed in 0.5 ppm PO4, would adsorb additional PO4? I think a popular opinion is that if it was placed in Instant Ocean it would release PO4.

I think it will release P if it was equilibrated at any level higher than the salt mix.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the near future, I will looking at how phosphate adsorbed to aragonite sand affects nuisance algae growth. I wondered about the phosphate molecules hopping on and off the sand grains. How fast does does sand bind PO4? How much phosphate does a gram of aragonite sugar sand adsorb? Does the bound PO4 come off? How fast does it come off? Here is a description of my experiments and results.

Methods. About 3 grams (measured) of washed CaribSea aragonite sand and 40 mL Instant Ocean containing phosphate were placed in a plastic 50 mL screw cap centrifuge tube and placed horizontally on an orbital shaker to gently rock the solution over the shallow bed of sand for 24 hours in the dark. The final phosphate concentration of the Instant Ocean solution was determined with the Hanna low range phosphate Checker. The difference between the initial and final concentrations corresponded to the amount of phosphate adsorbed by the sample of sand.

Desorption experiments were carried in the centrifuge tubes containing sand used in the absorption study and 40 mL 0 ppm phosphate Instant Ocean. The capped centrifuge tubes were placed horizontally on an orbital shaker for several days in the dark.

Results. Phosphate binding occurred within 6 hours but adsorption experiments were equilibrated for 24 hours to ensure the results were closer to equilibrium. The first plot below shows the amount of phosphate adsorbed at different equilibrium phosphate concentrations. The second plot shows that only a fraction of the adsorbed phosphate leaves the sand surface quickly. This is consistent with observations that removing surface bound phosphate from aragonite rocks requires a long wait.

8F010930-CC8E-45AA-83A9-33372DBB69E5.png

AA0C8200-8865-419F-8ED0-82B988BED5D9.png

How do the adsorption results compare to the scientific literature (Millero, 2001) and the JDA study (Post #70 for results)? The chart below summarizes what we might guesstimate about how much phosphate is bound to 20 pounds of aragonite sand equilibrated at 0.5 ppm phosphate. Because adsorption is a surface phenomenon, the amount of available surface area per unit mass needs to be known to accurately predict the bound phosphate. We do not have this number for each material in the table but we can make some educated guesses and discuss the estimates.

BBAF508C-9325-4401-9675-0BEE076A0F73.png

Millero synthesized aragonite and likely obtained a very fine precipitate. Similar synthesizes generated material with particles in the range of 50-100 microns. Materials with such a particle size in nature are classified as silt and estimated to have a surface area per gram of around 400 cm^2. The sand that I studied has particle sizes smaller than 1 mm, making it a fine to coarse sand with an estimated surface area per gram of 23-45 cm^2. With these crude estimates, the 10x range in surface area can explain much of the difference in adsorbed phosphate between my results and Millero’s. Can a surface area difference explain why large chunks of aragonite in JDA’s experiment adsorb so much more phosphate than Millero’s silty aragonite?

The simple answer is that the phosphate binding rate cannot exceed the limit observed by Millero, but lets think about this further. If the phosphate binding rate is 10X Millero’s, the surface area would have to be 10x higher or 4000 cm^2 per gram! Surface area could be larger than the visible surface area for a chunk of aragonite if it were full of capillaries like those that give granular activated carbon its high surface area. Whether this type of network of capillaries actually exist in aragonite and is accessible in part or in its entirety to phosphate remains to be demonstrated in a study such as Millero’s. An alternative explanation (just an idea, I haven't tested this in the lab) for the high adsorption rate in JDA’s experiment is the precipitation of phosphate salts during the solids addition of the very basic trisodium phosphate to artificial saltwater. What would be useful in dealing with this contradictory data is for someone to identify a source of clean highly porous aragonite that can be tested for its ability to bind phosphate. Even repeating JDA’s work with Millero’s protocol would be very interesting.

Looking forwards to your questions, comments or suggestions.

Dan

Starting to work my way through this set if data.

Can you explain plot 2 in more detail? Most importantly, if you put the data from experiment 2 onto plot 1, do you see it following the curve back down (at 24 h) or is it deviating from plot 1?

Years ago I showed that GFO adsorbs AND desorbs phosphate (contrary to manufacturer claims at the time) by attaining the same equilibrium binding values (like plot 1) by adding phosphate (as you did for plot 1) and by desorbing phosphate (like your experiment 2 but put into plot 1). If the two binding values match when reached from above and below, you know you have attained equilibrium.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to work my way through this set if data.

Can you explain plot 2 in more detail? Most importantly, if you put the data from experiment 2 onto plot 1, do you see it following the curve back down (at 24 h) or is it deviating from plot 1?

Years ago I showed that GFO adsorbs AND desorbs phosphate (contrary to manufacturer claims at the time) by attaining the same equilibrium binding values (like plot 1) by adding phosphate (as you did for plot 1) and by desorbing phosphate (like your experiment 2 but put into plot 1). If the two binding values match when reached from above and below, you know you have attained equilibrium.
The amount of phosphate desorbing in twenty four hours is about 25% of what was adsorbed, similar to what Millero observed for lab synthesized aragonite. I don’t know if all the bound phoshate ever comes off.

”Equilibration” might not be an apt description for what is going on. Rather than “equilibration” maybe use the narrative ”quick adsorption of most of the phosphate, followed by an adsorption that slows to a stop in one day but can still be going on after 7 days. This results in bound phosphate, 25% that comes off quickly, and 75% that apparently does not”.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will release P if it was equilibrated at any level higher than the salt mix.
This has become terra incognita for me. I think the maps need updating or maybe I do.

I am no longer sure much of the aragonite bound phosphate comes off, and if true, I wonder if this fact could render the surface able to bind phosphate as if it had not already. I think a simple experiment could straighten this out for me, or convince me that there be dragons that lie ahead, aka, a rabbit hole to explore.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic work as always Dan :) are you already working on the phase two?
Phase 2 is not going to give up its secrets so easily. There is a large amount of ground work to perform before starting. Many months away I think.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phase 2 is not going to give up its secrets so easily. There is a large amount of ground work to perform before starting. Many months away I think.
Ok, so my little test to see if the sand I’ve got will bind phos has been running for two days, to see initially if it leeches any phos with clean saltwater. I’ve gently turned the sand a few times over the last few days. According to ELOS and Salifert the answer is no, it doesn’t leech any. I’ve got 20 litres (I could reduce this if required, down to about 5 litres with the current circulation set up).

How much TSP should I add to give any meaningful result? Thanking you :)

Note - Managed to smash the ELOS vial, dunno if I can find a similar one so Salifert may have to suffice for now.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has become terra incognita for me. I think the maps need updating or maybe I do.

I am no longer sure much of the aragonite bound phosphate comes off, and if true, I wonder if this fact could render the surface able to bind phosphate as if it had not already. I think a simple experiment could straighten this out for me, or convince me that there be dragons that lie ahead, aka, a rabbit hole to explore.

What I did with GFO was add phosphate to GFO in suspension in salt water several times (maybe over 1-2 weeks) to attain a stable phosphate reading of 0.1 ppm in the fluid. Drained off the liquid, added back fresh water, and measured the phosphate in the water over time.

Clearly, phosphate was desorbing there, and by quantitatively tracking the phosphate, I could start at the bottom right of your graph 1, move up it (although I never went nearly as high as you did), then moved back down the curve durign desorption.

Attaining the same result from both directions is very strong evidence that the process has attained equilibrium and is certainly reversible.

i had intended to compare different brands for binding, but it became too lengthy of an experiment. I only looked at Rowaphos (that I think was claiming irreversibility at the time) and Salifert.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so my little test to see if the sand I’ve got will bind phos has been running for two days, to see initially if it leeches any phos with clean saltwater. I’ve gently turned the sand a few times over the last few days. According to ELOS and Salifert the answer is no, it doesn’t leech any. I’ve got 20 litres (I could reduce this if required, down to about 5 litres with the current circulation set up).

Note - Managed to smash the ELOS vial, dunno if I can find a similar one so Salifert may have to suffice for now.

What was the phosphate concentration of the water in equilibrium with the particles before removing them from the initial addition phase? You need to be sure it has reached a stable phase where adsorption is complete with residual phosphate remaining in the water.

If none remains in the initial water, or it is still going on, one would not expect to detect any coming off.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the phosphate concentration of the water in equilibrium with the particles before removing them from the initial addition phase? You need to be sure it has reached a stable phase where adsorption is complete with residual phosphate remaining in the water.

If none remains in the initial water, or it is still going on, one would not expect to detect any coming off.
I haven’t added any phos yet, just new 35ppt Tropic Marin to the sand and let it circulate for two days. Cheers

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did with GFO was add phosphate to GFO in suspension in salt water several times (maybe over 1-2 weeks) to attain a stable phosphate reading of 0.1 ppm in the fluid. Drained off the liquid, added back fresh water, and measured the phosphate in the water over time.

Clearly, phosphate was desorbing there, and by quantitatively tracking the phosphate, I could start at the bottom right of your graph 1, move up it (although I never went nearly as high as you did), then moved back down the curve durign desorption.

Attaining the same result from both directions is very strong evidence that the process has attained equilibrium and is certainly reversible.

i had intended to compare different brands for binding, but it became too lengthy of an experiment. I only looked at Rowaphos (that I think was claiming irreversibility at the time) and Salifert.
Thanks for this. I am thinking about the design of adsorption-desorption experiment now.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Approximately how many pounds or kilos of sand is in the bucket? I need this for my reply to you.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t added any phos yet, just new 35ppt Tropic Marin to the sand and let it circulate for two days. Cheers

lol, ok, I thought the experiment was further along. :)

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.0 kgs sand (mildly moist), and now 6 liters water.
I was working with a ratio of 1g sand to 13 mL water whereas you are working at 1:3. Since I easily detected a decline in a 2 ppm solution, you should too, likely more, meaning the phosphate kits should be able to detect the about adsorbed by the sand.

I let mine equilibrate for 24 hr. You might want to stir your sand bed several times over the course of 24 hours because it is so deep, but let the water settle a couple hours before taking a sample for testing or filter it through a syringe 0.45 micron syringe filter just incase your sand is dusty.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was working with a ratio of 1g sand to 13 mL water whereas you are working at 1:3. Since I easily detected a decline in a 2 ppm solution, you should too, likely more, meaning the phosphate kits should be able to detect the about adsorbed by the sand.

I let mine equilibrate for 24 hr. You might want to stir your sand bed several times over the course of 24 hours because it is so deep, but let the water settle a couple hours before taking a sample for testing or filter it through a syringe 0.45 micron syringe filter just incase your sand is dusty.
Will do. How much TSP makes up 2 ppm in 6 litres? If you don't mind.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want a weight or volume of TSP to add?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The answer will depend on the hydration state of the trisodium phosphate. Common ones (from wikipedia) are:

trisodium phosphate (anhydrous)Na3PO4CAS: 7601-54-9
trisodium phosphate (hemihydrate)Na3PO4(H2O)0.5
trisodium phosphate (hexahydrate)Na3PO4(H2O)6
trisodium phosphate (octahydrate)Na3PO4(H2O)8
trisodium phosphate (dodecahydrate)Na3PO4(H2O)12CAS 10101-89-0

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want a weight or volume of TSP to add?
The answer will depend on the hydration state of the trisodium phosphate. Common ones (from wikipedia) are:

trisodium phosphate (anhydrous)Na3PO4CAS: 7601-54-9
trisodium phosphate (hemihydrate)Na3PO4(H2O)0.5
trisodium phosphate (hexahydrate)Na3PO4(H2O)6
trisodium phosphate (octahydrate)Na3PO4(H2O)8
trisodium phosphate (dodecahydrate)Na3PO4(H2O)12CAS 10101-89-0
Well, I've got an oven with a three hour 110 deg Celsius cycle to dry it, if that helps. And scales that measure to 0.001grammes. I have no idea what variant it is unfortunately.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've got an oven with a three hour 110 deg Celsius cycle to dry it, if that helps. And scales that measure to 0.001grammes. I have no idea what variant it is unfortunately.
The dodecahydrate (12 waters of hydration) melts at 74 C. If you try to dry a little and it melts, we have an ID. If you want to just guess it is the dodecahydrate, I can calculate the amount to give 2 ppm in 6 L and you can measure the actual concentration, diluting it if necessary. Do you want get the melting point or should I just assume the dodecahydrate?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back