Are acan lords fish safe?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some acan species have strong sweepers. And I know the lords are now a micromussa species. Can j keep smaller fish with an acan lord? Getting my first one soon and I’m planning to add two tiny WW clownfish to my dt. It’s a biocube 32. If they’re not safe around acans I’ll put it in my 16 gallon biocube with my 2.5” damsel. He should be ok around a colony right?

photo of the acan i won attached. Pretty sure it’s a micromussa lord

02D196FA-E1C5-4627-9C92-845136620CE0.jpeg

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine one killing a healthy fish. The sweepers are primarily for coral warfare IMO. I sure wouldn't be worried about the damsel.
Do they have sweepers like a torch or “sweepers” like my candy canes? The candy canes sweepers are a joke far as my other coral is concerned.

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I have a lot of them and never once have I ever thought they were gonna eat my fish. I’ve never worried about any coral eating my fish

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I have a lot of them and never once have I ever thought they were gonna eat my fish. I’ve never worried about any coral eating my fis

good to hear. Ya never know in this hobby. I just wanted to make sure. I’ve always had tons of coral but never acans and I never had small fish because I had a 1.5” ish ft engineer goby for the last 7 years. He and my damsel have been my only fish for most of that time period. I never had to worry about nems or anything eating them because I mean, come on, what’s gonna eat that monster?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only corals I would worry about eating fish are things like carpet anemones and elephant ear shrooms. I have a largeish elegance coral and it probably could eat a fish, but I don't think it can catch one.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are feeder tenticles. Your candycanes too. Sweepers are long and stringy. I havent seen sweepers from acan lords or micromussas. Your good to go. Looks like an acan lord to me in your 1st pic.
D

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have sweepers like a torch or “sweepers” like my candy canes? The candy canes sweepers are a joke far as my other coral is concerned.

No, as 1guydude said, they're feeding tentacles and aren't very long. Chalices are one example of coral with long sweeper tentacles that kill adjacent corals.

LPS corals are opportunistic, just like most every other creature in the ocean. You never know what they might do if given the opportunity. My Lobo ate a shrimp molt!

Lobo eats shrimp molt.jpg

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, as 1guydude said, they're feeding tentacles and aren't very long. Chalices are one example of coral with long sweeper tentacles that kill adjacent corals.

LPS corals are opportunistic, just like most every other creature in the ocean. You never know what they might do if given the opportunity. My Lobo ate a shrimp molt!

Lobo eats shrimp molt.jpg
Well yeah my candy canes do that as well, I feed them my hermits molts. I highly doubt they’d be able to catch even a sick fish however. If acans are the same way there’s no way I’ll have to worry about my fish with them.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yeah my candy canes do that as well, I feed them my hermits molts. I highly doubt they’d be able to catch even a sick fish however. If acans are the same way there’s no way I’ll have to worry about my fish with them.
Maybe they get lucky and get the occasional bristle worm like mine do, my seaweed
Blennys sit in them all the time and nonissue. The worms never learn to not steal food from an acan though.
94D5E715-333F-4931-BA8E-9FBFAEE1EE08.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back