Are all soft coral invasive?

Boxfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for my next coral but want to stay away from surprise invasive species. 34 Gallon, only have GSP, Frogspawn, Mushrooms and some kimd of brown poly or zoa. Just starting out. Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all are invasive. Some leathers such as devil fingers and leather mush are pretty decently able to be kept under control. Zoas and paly are a good idea and easily maintained for the most part. I would steer clear of gsp (unless isolated), general mushrooms as even if kept isolated can loose themselves from rock and spread to new islands, Kenya trees, and the like. Aaaaandbhow could I forget anthelia and Xenia Stay away from those as well

OP
OP
B

Boxfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I'm already using magnetic rock stations on side of the aquarium to isolate GSP and other known invasives. I just do not want the whole tank dominated by 1-2 species.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg That gsp started as a frag plug little less than a year ago. (90gal for size reference) Also, the gsp will grow on the glass. I have some green palys that have found their way up the acrylic.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my ricordia floridas spread all over my tank. Since they are pretty, I do not mind though. My red mushrooms are also very invasive. Like to kill stuff too. Spread like mad. Kenyan tree is invasive and grows fast! The other leathers, will grow like crazy in the right environment, but most can be cut back. Some however cannot easily without infection, so beware (nepthia, some sinularia). Cabage leathers have nice texture and some of the neon greens are nice and much easier to control.

Zoas will spread too as seen with NanReefer in the right environment. They hate my 210g for instance, love my 40g and other picos.

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All corals are technically invasive to some degree by definition, just depends on what they're battling against and the conditions they're in. Softies are just a little faster growing and harder to remove when they get out of control.

OP
OP
B

Boxfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your photos of your tanks. I started with shrooms to see if my large hermit would demolish anything. Its been a year and not issues so i would like to try some other types. I like the movement but i will have to find something else. Funny that bounce shrooms are so expensive and desired but other shrooms are looked down upon.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think all corals have their own uniqueness that makes them so special. Be it movement, texture, color, growth pattern, etc. However, some just are more fad then others. But, like anyone, I have my favorites and know what my tank can grow.

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great points, DeniseAndy.
I completely agree about cutting corals back. I have to constantly break my montis to avoid shading in certain areas. :mad:
I also want to further your point with examples of how certain "invasive" corals can be kept in check by other neighboring corals. For example, ricordea Yuma have some pretty nasty chemical defenses that inhibit growth of these "invasive" corals. Moreover, so do most other corals when it comes to territorial threats. o_O

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frogspawn versus blue clove polyps?

My money is on the euphyllia every day of the week LOL

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about blue mushrooms? I've got one waiting to go in the DT. Should I make sure it's in an isolated spot?

OP
OP
B

Boxfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue striped shroom, i do think it could become an issue if you do not watch them or have rock with lots of holes. Mine has 4 babies waiting to spread under the largest one they are creeping out from all sides. But I do want A single rock covered like in one of the photos that was submitted. I'm watching it closely.

Last edited:

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing about shrooms is if they run out of space they'll detach themselves, where they'll then be picked up by the flow and deposited elsewhere. Only to start a new colony.
I tried everything from Kalk paste, Joe Juice, boiling water, Majano Wand and then some. They spread like crazy!
9c7bde45638a90c2b504dfb52dc92b6c.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All corals are technically invasive to some degree by definition, just depends on what they're battling against and the conditions they're in. Softies are just a little faster growing and harder to remove when they get out of control.
This. Plus one. It's nature. All corals will keep growing under the right conditions.
They need to be pruned.
With luck.

Get what you like. Get what makes the tank look good. To you.
Belive it or not I have Xenia clove polyps and gsp. None are out of control. Because of good nutrient control. And I prune.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back