Are all soft coral invasive?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing about shrooms is if they run out of space they'll detach themselves, where they'll then be picked up by the flow and deposited elsewhere. Only to start a new colony.
I tried everything from Kalk paste, Joe Juice, boiling water, Majano Wand and then some. They spread like crazy!
9c7bde45638a90c2b504dfb52dc92b6c.jpg
Yep. Thats what mine do. Looks very similar :)

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for my next coral but want to stay away from surprise invasive species. 34 Gallon, only have GSP, Frogspawn, Mushrooms and some kimd of brown poly or zoa. Just starting out. Thanks

Gsp will spread fast, mushrooms will spread but not as fast, euphyllia's are slow growers but need space, pally and zoas can be invasive as well. It depends on what and how fast you want the growth.
Hope you don't mind me piggybacking..

Clove polyps and "waving hands".. are they really xenias? if not, do they spread like xenias?

Xenia and Anthelia are both from the family Xeniidae. Clove polyps are in the family stolonifera, and are related to gps, knopia, and pipe organ. However, both families are in the Octocorallia class. They all have 8 tentacles. Cloves can spread just as bad. Be aware of blue cloves invasiveness.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all are invasive. Some leathers such as devil fingers and leather mush are pretty decently able to be kept under control. Zoas and paly are a good idea and easily maintained for the most part. I would steer clear of gsp (unless isolated), general mushrooms as even if kept isolated can loose themselves from rock and spread to new islands, Kenya trees, and the like. Aaaaandbhow could I forget anthelia and Xenia Stay away from those as well
Yes I'm dealing with rouge mushys now. Had em isolated and 1st my reds broke free 1 and made a baby then my greens and made a baby so I hate mushys now unless there racordias. Spelt wrong. Sorry

Last edited:

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's
Started these Zoas a year ago from a 5 polyp frag. Had I known they'd spread like this I'd never have put them on the main rock. This is why I'll never put shrooms on my rock again.
7e721cf30c95eca9e93db1c2045009bb.jpg
the tightest trumpet of candy cane colony I've seen in a while. Nice

OP
OP
B

Boxfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW Leen, i'm drooling. Your tank is crazy! ???? With that much coral do you have to worry about cleaning the gravel and rock during WC's?

Leen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing pictures of closer view in some areas of my tank

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 121 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back