Are Captive Bred Fish More Susceptible to Diseases?

BRS

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just curious if captive bred fish are more susceptible to diseases since I'd assume they're generally exposed much less to diseases and parasites when being bred and raised vs wild caught fish. I love the idea of captive breeding personally (although the price tag kinda deters me from going with captive bred). Since wild caught individuals are exposed to so many diseases and parasites naturally, it seems like they would be more hardy in general though...thoughts?

AquaSD

davidcalgary29

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
But captive-bred fish were bred and raised in aquaria, and may be less-stressed when exposed to pathogens in the aquarium environment. I generally understand how immune systems work, and am not trying to be difficut, but think that there's more to consider in disease survivability than immediate immune response. It may well be that a healthy wild-caught fish that's been thoroughly acclimated to aquarium life (and I'm talking about years) will have a better chance of surviving a disease than some newly hatched biota animal, but I haven't seen any studies confirming or disputing that.

Tidal Gardens

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It’s a double edged sword.
Wild caught fish are more likely to come in with a disease, but the exposure to various pathogens in the wild would help to build some natural immunities.
Captive fish don’t have that exposure to build immunities, but are far less likely to have a disease assuming you are collecting straight from the breeder.
None of these immunities are going to protect against ich, velvet, brook, etc.
At the end of the day, a strict quarantine procedure is important to maintain the health of your fish and tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
IMHO - captive-bred fish will be exceptionally more susceptible to disease than wild. Lets face it - the average wild fish has struggled through (what percent of fish spawn survive in the ocean - I think its far less than 1 percent) - life in the wild, exposure to disease, has escaped predators, etc. When you try to mix captive bred with wild fish - IMHO - you COULD be courting disaster - since they have no natural immunity - which is important.

BRS

How have you used eggcrate in or around your aquarium?

• Aquarium lid

Votes: 37 38.1%
  • Frag rack

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Skimmer stand

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • Sump Divider

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other (please describe in the discussion)

Votes: 15 15.5%
  • I have not used eggcrate in or around my aquarium

Votes: 22 22.7%