Are Chrysiptera damsels more aggressive if kept in pairs?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a pair of Yellowtails, Azures, or Talbot’s be more aggressive than singles? This is especially with their other tankmates like a Royal Gramma, Pajama Cardinals and Yellow Watchman Gobies into consideration. I love their small size and colors and I think keeping a pair would be more interesting than a single one but I’m worried about aggression once they mate. Also, will two specimens (for these species at least) be almost guaranteed to form a pair if introduced at the same time? Are they hermaphrodites like Clownfish?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I told you in a previous post of yours how to pair them. And there was a lively "discussion" about whether they were hermaphroditic or not.

It's hit or miss. It depends on how big the damselfish are. If one is very small, and the other is very big, then chances are likely (but not assured) that you will get a pair.

Like all damselfish, they will aggressively defend their clutch. Now, where the clutch is located depends on the fish. If it's in the middle of the tank...well....they're going to defend their territory.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Yellow Tail Damsels in a 6-foot tank. When I stick my hand in to move a rock, it’s NOT the Clown Trigger who attacks me. Go figure. :cool:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a pair of Yellowtails, Azures, or Talbot’s be more aggressive than singles? This is especially with their other tankmates like a Royal Gramma, Pajama Cardinals and Yellow Watchman Gobies into consideration. I love their small size and colors and I think keeping a pair would be more interesting than a single one but I’m worried about aggression once they mate. Also, will two specimens (for these species at least) be almost guaranteed to form a pair if introduced at the same time? Are they hermaphrodites like Clownfish?
They are hermaphrodites. The two common names you listed are species specific, but not the Yellowtails. Depends on the species that call Yellowtails, some can very mild just like Azures or Talbot, but some can be pretty aggressive.
Chrysiptera cyanea are very aggressive (common name is Yellowtail blue devil) and Chrysiptera paracyanea are mild and docile. Most common names are poor way to ID a fish unless it specific. Use your own judgment.
Knowing their reputation, I have not buy one but it would be interesting to see if we keep a group of juvi C. cyanea together and see if 1 male developed from it. I may do this in the future just out of interest.

Back