Are lasers still a good way to get rid of Aiptasia

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Aiptasia X and it works sometimes if I smother them but I'm looking for a none chemical way and a quicker way. Does the Laser method still work and if so what laser should I buy.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that has ever worked to eradicate them for me were kleini butterfly's. I have a pair in one tank and a single in another tank. I had a full infestation in my 170g hundreds of them. Within 3 weeks of adding the kleini pair I can't find a single one. Australian stripey work well too but are difficult to get in the States and less likely to be coral nippers. I tried all the chem stuff and nothing worked. Appeared to make it worse. Mine was so bad I took a chance that I may lose some coral to get rid of the aiptasia. It was worth the risk to me. I chose the fish method because more than likely they are already in your plumbing where you can't get them and will always spawn new ones. Now I have something in there that will eat them whenever they pop up.

Last edited:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that has ever worked to eradicate them for me were kleini butterfly's. I have a pair in one tank and a single in another tank. I had a full infestation in my 170g hundreds of them. Within 3 weeks of adding the kleini pair I can't find a single one. Australian stripey work well too but are difficult to get in the States and less likely to be coral nippers. I tried all the chem stuff and nothing worked. Appeared to make it worse. Mine was so bad I took a chance that I may lose some coral to get rid of the aiptasia. It was worth the risk to me. I chose the fish method because more than likely they are already in your plumbing where you can't get them and will always spawn new ones. Now I have something in there that will eat them whenever they pop up.
This. Chemical eradication fails IMHO overtime. I've tried them all joes juice, f aiptasia, kalk slurry, aiptasia x. Also tried mechanical methods: majano wand & aiptasia laser. Klein butterfly works but your zoa's & LPS ain't gonna like it.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say based on any discussion around lasers strong enough to kill aiptasia I've had with members, wear safety goggles because you can seriously mess up vision/go blind. Uv also. but treat all those devices with respect. If the wattage is sufficient it should affect the polyp.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might work
Austin Powers Shark GIF by reactionseditor

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef delete appears to work, but my lfs had the population explode after using one to nuke all their aiptasia. Don’t think they are meant to eradicate the problem, just keep it at bay.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef delete appears to work, but my lfs had the population explode after using one to nuke all their aiptasia. Don’t think they are meant to eradicate the problem, just keep it at bay.
Yes, Once you have them you'll never eradicate them. I have them in my overflows,in my sumps etc.. Mine got so bad I've sworn off buying frags and risked losing coral by going with butterflies.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Chemical eradication fails IMHO overtime. I've tried them all joes juice, f aiptasia, kalk slurry, aiptasia x. Also tried mechanical methods: majano wand & aiptasia laser. Klein butterfly works but your zoa's & LPS ain't gonna like it.
This is my problem rn. I have a couple of corals I care about, but at the same time my tank is getting overrun with the aps

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget using the lasers. Just end up spreading them . Best to find something that will eat it and keep it under control.

cromburger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about lasers on other coral. I have been thinking about using one for blue snowflake polyp eradication and also to keep some montis in check. Thoughts?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had "Aiptasia Laser", which I ordered from "other country".
I am not sure if it was totally legal, either way Laser broke after few weeks, but it did work on aiptasia, which was accessible to it.
Laser can only destroy objects, which are in it's direct path and many aiptasia will be hidden under the rock or on the other side, in a cave etc.
It was a waste of money.

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best luck I’ve had is with a child’s pharmacy dosing syringe and boiling water.
Same, small turkey baster and boiling water. Feed fishes on other end of tank and blast it until it let's go and you can stuck it up for removal.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree. Mr Speckles (my klieni) feasts on them and enjoys them!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back