Are my clown fish fighting or.....

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in modern understanding of clownfish behavior they are trying to work out who gets what pronouns.

Tv Land Laura GIF by YoungerTV

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb is right? Could be an issue. The dominant fish has to recongnize the behavior of the other as submission or else they keep fighting until one is dead. Conspecifics are reportedly more difficult to pair as a result of mis cues between different breeds. Hopefully these figure it out. Also, sometimes the aggressor just doesnt like the weaker fish and they dont stop fighting until the end.

OP
OP
NeedAReef

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I got them from my LFS from a tank with a whole bunch of the same clowns. I assumed they were all the same simce there was only one price. Yeah you can yell at me now.
Should I let it play out? Add an annenome or coral thay they might host in(ideas) or add another clown?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two clowns in their teens and about the same size.....I think the pronouns have already been determined and you'll end up with a fight to the death. Translated, you have two females.

You need to return one and replace it with the smallest clown in the tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I got them from my LFS from a tank with a whole bunch of the same clowns. I assumed they were all the same simce there was only one price. Yeah you can yell at me now.
Should I let it play out? Add an annenome or coral thay they might host in(ideas) or add another clown?

No 3rd clown… return one for a smaller clown. One that isn’t yet female and will likely submit to the larger one.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd let it play out. Different species can indeed pair up, especially occys and percs. Some of the designers are hybrids of these two species anyways.

The only thing is yes, probably it would be better for one to be significantly larger than the other, but anyways it is not like same size clowns can't pair up.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Wyoming white and a black clown who spawn lol. But they still bicker. How long have they been together? How big is the tank? Takes a bit for them to pick who is what, but like stated, if both are female they cannot revert back to male.

OP
OP
NeedAReef

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Wyoming white and a black clown who spawn lol. But they still bicker. How long have they been together? How big is the tank? Takes a bit for them to pick who is what, but like stated, if both are female they cannot revert back to male.
I don't know how to sex them.
They have been in my tank for a month it is 70g there is a damsel some hermits snails and cleaner shrimp
They came from same tank at LFS but can't be sure how long they were in it together that tank had at least a dozen other clowns in there

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how to sex them.
They have been in my tank for a month it is 70g there is a damsel some hermits snails and cleaner shrimp
They came from same tank at LFS but can't be sure how long they were in it together that tank had at least a dozen other clowns in there
How big are they?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uhhh for those who can't see video... these fish are lip locking. They are like two bulls.. they lock lips and spin and spin. There is no shaking or submission or typical chasing. It looks like potentially the behavior of two females.

1638988593703.png

1638988634163.png

OP
OP
NeedAReef

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK just some daylight here hanging together. This is their norm that hang out together rather than you get a corner and I get one.

Attachments

• 20211209_091353.mp4
    52.4 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately, I can't see the video. I had a (for sure) - they spawned several times - and the eggs hatched) that were often quite aggressive towards each other - and they were also basically 'the same size' - might have been a millimeter difference.

Clowns are like cichlids IMHO - their behavior (lip locking, egg laying, guarding the eggs, etc). If you randomly added 2 cichlids to a tank - they would fight until they either 'worked it out' - or 'not'. You can certainly bring one back - and get a 'smaller one' - I'm not altogether sure that you're not going to have the same problem. BUT - if you do decide to do that - I would bring the more bullying fish back (if there is one) - if they are the same - I would leave them as is.

OP
OP
NeedAReef

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that size yeah more likely than not they'd be juveniles.
went back to the store and showed them the video. their advice was the same as here. I decided to keep taking short videos and watch for injuries or frayed fins etc. so far nothing like that. they also agreed to take back the fish if i want and substitute with a larger one or work with me however i want. great service.

OP
OP
NeedAReef

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: work up this morning and.....1 clownfish swimming the other was .... feeding 2 shrimp :( guess they finally figured out who was boss

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back