Are my LEDs killing everything?

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown Jelly is a bacterial infection and, IMO, a separate issue from your bleaching events. There is no way for any type of lightling to cause a bacterial infection.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point,but still saying that dosent mean that the LED's arent bothering the corals with the spectrum aswell...just my opinion,Im not a LED expert by anymeans,but Im not stupid either....

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown Jelly is a bacterial infection and, IMO, a separate issue from your bleaching events. There is no way for any type of lightling to cause a bacterial infection.

Ok, Does the coral loose immunity when it is bleached/stressed?
Also what exactly causes brown jelly?

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pictures KLR has posted it does not appear to be a lighting issue, its either some kind of infection and/or an unknown pest or your parameters are not in check as you say, check your test kits for expired ones and make sure you have your refracto correctly calibrated with a solution and not just ro/di..

Remember a coral is like anyother living creature, it eats, it digest and it surely can get sick or get an infection for whatever the reason may be causing tissue loss... So no matter how good your parameters are bad things can still happen...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of a case of brown jelly occurring due to bleaching. Aside from poor water quality, anything that physically causes damage to the tissue of the coral can result in brown jelly so it is often hard to pin point. This is an old article but it may give you some insight: Corals - Bacterial

Much is still unknown about brown jelly but I've been in this hobby as a hobbyist, as well as working in the industry, for over 20 years and I cannot recall coral bleaching causing brown jelly. Not saying it can't as I suppose, if it's bleached long enough to the point where tissue starts dying, it could be possible.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup start fragging all your corals and put your T5's back over that tank. could it be stray electrical causing some of this possibly? or new media or top off water?

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt mean due to bleaching but I was jsut wondering if the coral was already week from stress, wouldnt that make it more prone ton infections/diseases? Like when a person is weak in health they get sicker easier.

Thanks for that article,that answered alot of my questions!

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup start fragging all your corals and put your T5's back over that tank. could it be stray electrical causing some of this possibly? or new media or top off water?

I was thinking stray electricity aswell,but idk where it would be coming from. Dont you usually feel shocks every now and then if your tank has electricity in the water? I have not is why I ask..

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk. i think I saw a post of someone having stray voltage going in their tank and not even knowing. even with putting his hands in the tank. i think they used a meter to check. maybe the leaking voltage was so low that "humans" couldn't feel it but corals would? idk, i'm definitely not an expert and maybe someone else can chime in on this?

Jerad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me (a guy who is semi new to the hobby) that the led's are part of the problem. That isn't saying led's are bad. There are bad fixtures out there, just as there are bad florescent fixtures. I would say LED has a higher number of bad fixtures just because people don't know yet what they are buying into and will buy crap fixtures. I also think that a lot of those corals you listed do better with some nutrients in the water. It may also be something else we are all overlooking. You should not shy away from LED's because of one person thinking that it may be causing problems. What kind of other corals are in the tank that you said were doing fine?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to check for stray voltage, use a voltmeter. Put the positive terminal in the water and put the black on a ground. If you get a reading, start unplugging stuff one by one to trace your problem.

Although I've had problems with SPS since switching over to LEDs, I've never had any brown jelly disease, so that sounds like a whole other issue. My LPS just bleaches and then continually recedes until nothing is left if it isn't put in the shadows. I'm running a ton of light (450w LED & 468w T5 on 180g) so I guess it's to be expected.

For those that think that the LEDs can't be the problem, I completely disagree. My frag tank (16x16x8, approximately 9 gallons) is plummed to a common sump with my DT and it's running a DIY kit consisting of twelve 3w Crees (6 royal blue, 6 cool white) which produces less intense light than I have in the DT. In my frag tank, chalices & acans do just fine, but as soon as they get moved to the DT they wither away.

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that think that the LEDs can't be the problem, I completely disagree.
The problem is, I believe KLR has multiple issues going on here. His LED fixture might be causing some of his bleaching issues but he said the fixture is only over the center of the tank with many shaded areas on the outer edges. I just find it hard to believe he can't find an area, if this is the case, where LPS will not bleach.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is shade but why would the 50+ chalices I already have not bleach directly under the light? and when I add these new chalices they bleach/rtn in the shade?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acclimation to LEDs is the hardest part. Maybe try shading them and shortening your lighting period for a couple weeks?

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me (a guy who is semi new to the hobby) that the led's are part of the problem. That isn't saying led's are bad. There are bad fixtures out there, just as there are bad florescent fixtures. I would say LED has a higher number of bad fixtures just because people don't know yet what they are buying into and will buy crap fixtures. I also think that a lot of those corals you listed do better with some nutrients in the water. It may also be something else we are all overlooking. You should not shy away from LED's because of one person thinking that it may be causing problems. What kind of other corals are in the tank that you said were doing fine?

+1

and sorry to hear man, I know you have some Excellent taste in corals!

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it hasn't. No one is really sure what is going on with KLR's tank. I'm really skeptical that it's his light causing these problems since he has plenty of shaded areas.
+1

I completely disagree, at this point everyone's ASSUMING the LED's are the problem...
+1

Kelby stick the t5s over that tank and see if it changes or not.... I really doubt it's the LEDs myself personally.... If You wanna believe that and wanna sell your fixture lmk I need one haha...;)
+1

Yes there is shade but why would the 50+ chalices I already have not bleach directly under the light? and when I add these new chalices they bleach/rtn in the shade?
here is your answer - if it were the lights why would the rest be ok?

The acclimation to LEDs is the hardest part. Maybe try shading them and shortening your lighting period for a couple weeks?
I'll add some experience here. when i first went LED i bought a couple corals and killed all three. i say I KILLED all three - not the lights. i did not acclimate them properly and underestimated the LEDs. since then I have added many new corals with care and haven't lost any of them
i do not think it is the lights:
either you have a source problem ie wild caught corals not properly quarentined or tank acclimated before being sold
or you have an acclimation problem, starting low light and slowly increasing
or you have a tank problem that your existing corals have adapted to deal with , but new additions can't

change lights if you want - T5's are nice lights - but i think with a little deductive reasoning you may find the true issue

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is your answer - if it were the lights why would the rest be ok?

I'll add some experience here. when i first went LED i bought a couple corals and killed all three. i say I KILLED all three - not the lights. i did not acclimate them properly and underestimated the LEDs. since then I have added many new corals with care and haven't lost any of them
i do not think it is the lights:
either you have a source problem ie wild caught corals not properly quarentined or tank acclimated before being sold
or you have an acclimation problem, starting low light and slowly increasing
or you have a tank problem that your existing corals have adapted to deal with , but new additions can't

True but if it was the parameters why would the rest be ok????

Yea maybe it is something else but I never lost over $1500 in corals under t5's so I'd rather spend money to hopefully save it,if that makes since..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back