Are my LEDs killing everything?

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some AI Sol Blues on the MAcna tank. I have them set at 38 percent and things are really starting to look nice. It took awhile for the coral to acclimate. Maybe you need to create a lower light environment/ area for acclimating them and slowly move them into the open light area. The owner of Reefs was going to crank the Sol's up in intensity and I told him not to touch it. No reason to have the lights any stronger than they were. That is probably the feature I like most about the SOL's.

Another possible solution is to get some green house shade material. Sorry I don't know what it is really called and just place it over the tank for a week or two until new arrivals acclimate. You know a screen like that might be a good product for someone in the lighting market to fabricate. A shade cover that pops on and off the light fixture. I'd betcha it can be made cheap enough so that everyone with LED's could afford it.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why I only have 1 pendant in the center, on each end of the tank it is not as bright and unde my frag racks it is shaded,so i go from shade,end of tank,to wherever they end up for displaying

Ive thought of that aswell,really would help out alot!

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a picture of the 2:cry:
death 006.jpg

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I did,im prob gna cut some more momentarily.....I have about 5 4 eye frags cut

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man that sucks. All I can think of is light shock. I hope u can save stuff

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it does,im ordering a t5 fixture today.

Im definantly getting a TEK fixture

Would the 36in. 6 bulb be to powerful for a 16in deep tank that is 48in long?

I want to keep sps.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time keeping any kind of chalice or acans in my tank as well since I moved to LED from halides. When I put them in the shade they're ok, but under the LEDS they completely burn up. My parameters are good and my SPS & polyps do just fine, but most LPS suffers. I've got a lobo, wellso, and a couple scolymias that do fine, but they are all shaded. Every time I've tried pulling them from the shade, they start to recede. My old tank was LPS dominant with the same filtration, but I was running 250w halides instead and everything did great, so I can't attribute it to anything else.

El Camaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had some of my corals die when i had my LED's, and my params were good too, my set up did not have dim-able drivers and the fixture hung about a foot from the water, even so it still burned and killed a few corals, that whole process discouraged me and i lost interest in the hobby for a while, i am now back but swear on T5's, they are certainly one of the best out there and if you still want the LED pop, you can always complement them with a strip.

Good luck with it all man, hope the rest of your corals make it and don't be like me and get discouraged, change the fixture before any more damage is done.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^This is why im going back to my overall favorite lighting...T5 FTW!!!!!!!!

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has shined some light on LED's,guess Im staying with my fav's!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doesn't look bleached to me fwiw..... maybe they like your other tank because it's dirty.... when i neglect my tank it thrives man everything looks awesome as soon as i change the carbon/gfo etc and clean it up i lose a lot of color and run into little problems here or there.... it's hard keeping sps and lps there is a fine line where everything is happy...

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even with the problems with my LPS, I'm still very happy with the LEDs. No more problems with overheating, and great coloration.growth on SPS. Definitely a great lighting option for SPS tanks, but dimmable drivers are a must have for LPS tanks

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those particular,pictured,corals were not bleached. The previous ones bleached. Maybe so on the dirtier tank.

I like LEDs for the most part but once I loose around $1200 in corals due to, what I think was them, my thought changed..I agree on sps growth, encrusting montiproas and certain..certain.. acroporas really seem to like them!

Last edited:

UncleJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it hasn't. No one is really sure what is going on with KLR's tank. I'm really skeptical that it's his light causing these problems since he has plenty of shaded areas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not saying anybody is right or wrong on the fact that leds are the issue,im just assuming that,like said above.

But, if it is not the issue what do you think is? You cant just tell me im wrong and not have a reason why??

ps. im not upset if it comes across as that

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kelby stick the t5s over that tank and see if it changes or not.... I really doubt it's the LEDs myself personally.... If You wanna believe that and wanna sell your fixture lmk I need one haha...;)

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not here to argue,but I know Kelby's tank,and I trust Kelby's tank for sure,he as anyother reefer has had problems with his system,and who hasnt?I have lost my tank multipul times to stupid stuff,and I KNOW,others have had similer problems.

Im not saying its for sure LED's that are the problem,but,lets look at somthing here for a second.

Tank is stable and he is running T5's,corals are perfectly fine.

We still have a stable tank,change the lighting to LED's,corals go mental and start to die.

Kinda interesting that as soon as he changed the lighting,stuff started to die,isnt it?

And yes,all of these corals are from the same source,but I know Kelby has ordered from this source multipul times,and all of he stuff is healthy,and not caused my the shipper or the source by any means,he has ordered multipul times,with good results,and when he started with LED's,then he had problems.

I may be looking at this totaly wrong,but I dont think that it is his tank,it has to be somthign external from the system.I dont want to argue over it,but I dont want us to give him the wrong information and then him loose every thing...

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kelby stick the t5s over that tank and see if it changes or not.... I really doubt it's the LEDs myself personally.... If You wanna believe that and wanna sell your fixture lmk I need one haha...;)

I still have plans for the leds! Zoas love them! and I want a 20gal zoa tank

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back