Are my nems okay?

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to know of this is a normal anemone thing..i took pictures but im not sire how well you can see them. Every morning when i wake up before i turn on the aquarium lights my nems are usually closed up. Well this morning they were however they both had white 'threads' coming from them. I haven't fed them in 4 or 5 days and i assume it's poop but should poop that much? I did add phytoplankton and other anemone and coral food to the refugium yesterday could they be pooping because they got nutrition? Here's a pic...
20191113_093934.jpg

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect white/clean rocks every time I see a “does my nem look ok?” thread, and 95% of the time, I’m not let down.

Without seeing anything else, it would be best to take the nem to a lfs in hopes they can save it.

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? It looks young. What is your lighting? The anemone looks bleached.
it's about 4 months old but wait can I ask how does a tank look young? Just curious. the anemone was bleached when we got him and we wanted to save him but he actually looks a lot healthier from when we got him

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's about 4 months old but wait can I ask how does a tank look young? Just curious. the anemone was bleached when we got him and we wanted to save him but he actually looks a lot healthier from when we got him
Mostly It looks pretty much like the day you first set it up- everything still white & clean.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks young IMO because the rocks and sand bed are fairly pure white. On most established tanks the rock and sand are never bleach white

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe it's my camera but the rock is not very white. This is our oldest tank and like i said the nems are doing a lot better than they were at one of the lfs. But is the stringy stuff a bad sign?

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also we did a water change a couple of days ago. Nothing drastic maybe 8 gallons. Personally i think we have too much algae which leads me to believe my camera is showing true color

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe it's my camera but the rock is not very white. This is our oldest tank and like i said the nems are doing a lot better than they were at one of the lfs. But is the stringy stuff a bad sign?

Not always...sometimes its just waste...but that nem looks bad and as you stated in your other thread this tank is just 4 months old and not mature like a tank will be as it ages...i dont think its ready. Sorry.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michele,

I’m not going to voice an opinion as to whether or tank is too young or not. As to the anemone all I can suggest is to watch it carefully but don’t over-react. If you’ve been nursing this one back to health well congrats on that! As to the white stringy things there are lots of guesses. But it sounds like you have two — so they might be trying to make more anemones. ;)

Also — relax and appreciate that everything in the tank is a living breathing organism with its own personality. Anemones do crazy things, but you probably won’t kill it if you’re diligent with your water chemistry, etc. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think the tank is old enough for the anemones simply because i only showed the rocks in the pics with the nems on them. That is the newest rock in the there and he decided to stay on that one. Here are pics of the other rocks I've had for 4-6 months.

20191115_101824.jpg 20191115_101806.jpg 20191115_101810.jpg

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously the algae isn't as great as I'd like but it's what we have.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope your nem does well. I think any tank under a year is young, only because I saw drastic changes in mine during that time.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back