Are my Powerheads to strong?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank, 75g + 25g water in sump, just completed cycling with only 2 clowns currently in tank. The tank came with 2 Koralia Evolution 1150 powerheads. I purchased a Varios6 return pump... have it set on level 2 right now. The Varios6 has approx 1000gph at 5ft head pressure...I figure on the 2nd setting that I'm getting about 400gph return since max 5 settings on the pump controller.

Flow rate: 36x
(1150+1150+400)/75g
Turnover rate: 4x
400gph/75g+25g

No plan for SPS corals until way down the road when I'm more confident in maintaining the system!

Should I increase the turnover rate by increasing my return pump output but lower the flow rate in the tank by getting smaller or controllable powerheads? Or just stay the course?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t be sure until you have he tank stocked with corals. If something is getting blasted 2” from the powerhead, it’s probably too much, but generally speaking that amount of turnover is a good starting point. You will have to mess around with angles and positioning to get everything flowing how you want it though!

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t be sure until you have he tank stocked with corals. If something is getting blasted 2” from the powerhead, it’s probably too much, but generally speaking that amount of turnover is a good starting point. You will have to mess around with angles and positioning to get everything flowing how you want it though!

Yes, still trying to figure out angles for the powerheads. I'm having a problem with my chaeto dying off right now and pieces floating around in the tank. It seems like the pieces don't make it to the overflow, but rather only get sucked into the powerheads and stuck there! I'm concerned my powerheads might not be letting debri get to the surface to be removed.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like that in my tank too. 2 of my powerheads are right next to the overflow blowing away from it but you can tell a good amount of stuff still ends up in the sump and has to get cleaned out. I wouldn’t worry too much.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back