Are overflow boxes reliable?

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to consider adding a sump to my 45 cube reef because the maintenance on a canister is starting to get annoying. But the problem is I can’t drill the tank because it’s up and running. Are overflow boxes a reliable option?

OP
OP
gizzo12

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And could anyone recommend a sump skimmer and overflow box suitable for my tank size? 24x24x18 45 gallons

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And could anyone recommend a sump skimmer and overflow box suitable for my tank size? 24x24x18 45 gallons
Yes, overflow boxes are reliable. I've been using one brand or another for over 20 years and now to think about it , its one piece of equipment I've never had to fix or replace once I bought it. You can get a single drain or a double, I use a double in the rare event of overflow. Although I can't imagian how that would happen

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have used a hob overflow box since 2004, and yes it has been reliable. Mine is an eshop. As long as you matched the return pump's flow into the tank with the flow going into the overflow and down the drain, it will maintain a syphon even when the electricity turns off.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines pretty good its an eshopps brand. Been running a year no isues except algae can grow in the tube reducing flow and you gotta clean it or it might overflow if you maxed out the return pump flow like i did lol. I also didn't want to drill a hole. Ive had tanks with drilled overflow boxes and they are much better and worrry free. However the hang on boxes are a great substitute for drilling fears.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an HOB overflow for years without issue. Two things to note... NEVER use a valve to restrict the single drain as that is a flood waiting to happen. Let it run wide open as it was designed to do. Valving back a drain line is meant for dual or triple drain set ups like Herbies or Beananimals, not for single drain HOB overflow set ups. The second thing is to get rid of the included prefilter sponge that comes stock with the HOB overflow as they clog very quickly, again leading to a potential flooding situation. Replace the prefilter sponge with a Stockman standpipe. The Stockman won’t clog and will go a long way towards helping to keep your overflow relatively quiet.

Last edited:

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Edit*

Misread and was thinking an overflow for a drilled tank. Sorry.

Last edited:

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, been using tube style overflow boxes for years. Never once lost siphon. I turn my return pump off every day to feed.

A big reason the siphon can break is bubbles accumulate in the U-tube. This only happens if the overflow box is oversized. You need to have a good amount of water going through the box to keep water going fast enough that bubbles don't sit in the tube. Make sure the box is not too big and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
gizzo12

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend a list of products for my tank size? I’m having trouble
Pump
Sump (i think i got that one)
Skimmer
HOB Overflow box
Tubing/pvc size?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would suggest the pf-300 eshopps for hob overflow use it on my 55 works great. 1” pvc for drain and return line. I use the vectra m2 return pump it’s overkill but works if dialed all the way down. Bought overkill because I knew I would be upgrading.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a cpr overflow box for years and HATED it! It is a different design than most. No u tube if I remember right. To this day hearing running water makes me jump out of my seat. So many overflows/ruined floors. Sigh, can we talk about something else?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+10 for the pf300 eshopps overflow.
Im using one with a dcp-3000 jebao pump @ 75%. 40 gallon tank.
I use a lifereef silencer over the standpipe.

Never had an overflow event or clog but,
I would opt for a black U tube as hair algae likes to grow and slow the flow until its completely encrusted in coraline and doesnt let light through. This may take months.
The black U tube can be bought from lifereef.

You may not have an issue with GHA though it just depends on your tank.

20191111_220251.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+10 for the pf300 eshopps overflow.
Im using one with a dcp-3000 jebao pump @ 75%. 40 gallon tank.
I use a lifereef silencer over the standpipe.

Never had an overflow event or clog but,
I would opt for a black U tube as hair algae likes to grow and slow the flow until its completely encrusted in coraline and doesnt let light through. This may take months.
The black U tube can be bought from lifereef.

You may not have an issue with GHA though it just depends on your tank.

20191111_220251.jpg
Mine gets a lot of gha in as well. I have to clean mine weekly, but if you clean shouldn’t have a problem! Also I made a cheap little black box to go over mine and it helped with algae growth significantly.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine gets a lot of gha in as well. I have to clean mine weekly, but if you clean shouldn’t have a problem! Also I made a cheap little black box to go over mine and it helped with algae growth significantly.
I was cleaning mine weekly as well.
Tried a blue rag over it and that cut down the GHA quite a bit until it was completely encrusted in coraline..

Another trick i did was have a curved bottle brush i used to clean the GHA inside the tube and then rinsed it out with the dirty water change water so it didnt kill any coraline while it was growing. I havent had one hiccup with water level since its been completely encrusted inside :)

I like the box/cover idea :)

My new tank is drilled with a 16" synergy shadow 3 drain box so we will see how i end up liking it vs the eshopps in terms of maintenance and noise.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning mine weekly as well.
Tried a blue rag over it and that cut down the GHA quite a bit until it was completely encrusted in coraline..

Another trick i did was have a curved bottle brush i used to clean the GHA inside the tube and then rinsed it out with the dirty water change water so it didnt kill any coraline while it was growing. I havent had one hiccup with water level since its been completely encrusted inside :)

I like the box/cover idea :)

My new tank is drilled with a 16" synergy shadow 3 drain box so we will see how i end up liking it vs the eshopps in terms of maintenance and noise.
Nice! My new tank will be reef ready haven’t purchased it yet but I’m looking forward to having to with build in overflows or overflow box!

OP
OP
gizzo12

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to add a thought that the HOB overflow is the riskiest way to go. Everything I have read recommends a Bean Animal Overflow as the safest to have. That is what I went with.
Would it be safer to just stick with a canister? If so any way to optimize it so I don’t have to clean as often? And also is there a better canister anyone recommends maybe with a heater in it?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be safer to just stick with a canister? If so any way to optimize it so I don’t have to clean as often? And also is there a better canister anyone recommends maybe with a heater in it?
Hi Gizzo, I am on the same path as you with currently a FOWLR 29 gal running with an Eheim 250 canister. Dealing with it is a pain as you know. What I learned on here is that they can harbor phosphates I believe. I don't know of any canisters that come with a heater. Changing socks is going to be so much easier. Plus I have buildup of skim on the top of my water right now. You do have a much higher investment with a sump but I think the advantages are worth it. I am buying a Jax Racks kit and using a 20 long Aqeuon.

OP
OP
gizzo12

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gizzo, I am on the same path as you with currently a FOWLR 29 gal running with an Eheim 250 canister. Dealing with it is a pain as you know. What I learned on here is that they can harbor phosphates I believe. I don't know of any canisters that come with a heater. Changing socks is going to be so much easier. Plus I have buildup of skim on the top of my water right now. You do have a much higher investment with a sump but I think the advantages are worth it. I am buying a Jax Racks kit and using a 20 long Aqeuon.
Yep I heard that as well and that’s probably why I have a hair algae problem. I would totally prefer a sump but the cost scared me. When adding everything up on brs that i’d need it was over $600

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back