Are protein skimmers always necessary

deztheclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the reefing hobbie and I know there are a lot of pros out there and I wondered if protein skimmers were always necessary ? let me know what you think

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as with everything else in this hobby the answer is "it depends" - main considerations include

1) what is your bioload? if new tank and not a lot of bioload, it may not be necessary - especially if you have corals that may benefit from a bit of nutrient in the water column
2) do you have other methods of nutrient export? ie, if you have a refugium/algae scrubber, it may get the job done w/o a skimmer

nutrients travel thru your system in different stages, and different methods of control targets these different areas so are not always interchangeable depending on the specific situation in your tank:

1) filter sock/floss - takes out uneaten food, undissolved organic particles
2) skimmer - takes out the dissolved organics and proteins - but NOT before they break down to Nitrate/phosphate by bacteria.
3) refugium/algae scrubber take out nitrate/phosphate.

Generally speaking, people tend to overfeed so there's excess nutrients in all three stages which ultimately leads to algae explosions so people tend to believe that all three are necessary. However, as you get more dialed in to exactly what your tank needs and what stage you want to focus on, a different combinations of the above will be more affective than others.

Upvote 0

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely HAVE to feed your fish and corals. That inevitably leads to the accumulation of nutrients: nitrates and phosphates. So you need a nutrient export system.

If you have a small tank, the easiest mode of nutrient transport can be large water changes.

Other forms of nutrient export are filter socks, protein skimmers, and refugium. The filter socks remove large particulate matter. Protein skimmers remove macromolecules. A refugium grows macro algae and exports nutrients by way of algal harvest. And of course, there are water changes.

So of course, you can get away without a protein skimmer. But protein skimmers are very popular for a reason. They serve as a valuable component of nutrient export. Also, as far as time to maintain, protein skimmers take less time than water changes and filter socks.

Upvote 0
U

User1

View Badges
As @Dkmoo answered, it depends. Really vague I know. It isn't their intent or mine to be vague but the correct answer really is "it depends".

To clarify a bit the reason why it depends is because it depends if the hobbyist designed the system to require one or not. It really is that simple. Hobbyist can design a system such that a skimmer isn't needed. It is a tool to use as is a controller, a return pump, a heater, a light, algae scrubber, and similar items. And by design I'm talking about the whole system because they all work together.

Fish load is but one question. Biological filter, corals, flow, and micro fauna are some examples that will help answer the question if a skimmer is needed. People run successful tanks without them. Some people run them every other day. Some once a week. Some daily or 24 hours. The key is the balance of nutrients both import and export. Which gets back to the design.

The hobby has come a long way from the early days with a box of water, power head, heater, air stone, and light. Set up everything with thought and a vision and a goal then the answer is yes, you don't need one because it was designed not to. And should something happen then you can always add one.

Personally speaking my first tank 20 gallons didn't have one. My second tank, 100 gallons, did. In fact I'm using that same skimmer 21 years later on my 210 gallon display. In between I've run a 40 breeder without a skimmer, 29 gallon biocubes without skimmers. And one 40 breeder with a skimmer. I think they are a valuable tool to have but at the end of the day no, they are not a requirement if the tank is setup correctly.

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they are not neccessary. If you consider them in terms of how critical the right microbial processes are, whether it's sustainable farming or sustaining our own mental and physical well being I'll argue they're harmful to teh long term survival of our systems. See my post (#70) in this thread.

Upvote 0

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 100% not “necessary”. TONS of beautiful tanks run without skimmers.

Upvote 0

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok heres my two cents. I have kept reef tanks since 1985. If you keep only corals probally not needed with partial water changes every two weeks, MOST aquarist want corals and fish in their tanks so i would say skimmers area HUGE help. KNOWLEDGE TRUMPS ALL> Having said that most sumps and skimmers with return pumps etc cost at least a Grand or more depending on tank size. Small tanks with good filtering and water changes consistently like I stated can get by with no skimmers. Most Aquarist have lots of CASH sunk into their systems so why Risk algae outbreaks disease and poor water quality. Skimmers Give u some Insurance against such. Again KNOWLedge is the KEY!

Upvote 0

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok heres my two cents. I have kept reef tanks since 1985. If you keep only corals probally not needed with partial water changes every two weeks, MOST aquarist want corals and fish in their tanks so i would say skimmers area HUGE help. KNOWLEDGE TRUMPS ALL> Having said that most sumps and skimmers with return pumps etc cost at least a Grand or more depending on tank size. Small tanks with good filtering and water changes consistently like I stated can get by with no skimmers. Most Aquarist have lots of CASH sunk into their systems so why Risk algae outbreaks disease and poor water quality. Skimmers Give u some Insurance against such. Again KNOWLedge is the KEY!
Is a 90 gallon small? I don't run one anymore, things are thriving, nor a sump or fuge.....reefing since 95, so I guess you've got a decade on me....
There are so many variables at play here, which you undoubtedly know must factor into the equation...yes KNOWledge is key.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back