• All are dead

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The_Phoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to know if by the picture, these appear dead. None have been open for over a week. I realized that my tank had not completely cycled and I added them too fast. My fish (clown pair) and CuC are fine and my water levels are okay. Not sure why but I need to know so I can take them out.
Thanks guys!

315D09F6-0B31-4D3A-8176-741E2F11ED95.jpeg 9ED81E69-32DB-407A-9718-26FE523B7070.jpeg B9B9AF78-72BC-4643-AF0F-B5DC8DB14391.jpeg F7FA178C-9191-41AA-A398-A54742007915.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only one that is completely dead is the hammer. The rest can all be saved.

Edit: your tank being cycled doesn’t really matter in terms of your tank being able to keep corals. Ammonia and Nitrite don’t affect corals (at least not at levels we see in aquariums). I’m guessing you’ve got some other water quality issues going on. What are your parameters?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had GSP and leather look like this for weeks - and had them come back. Zoas as well. I think the hammer is a goner. You can either remove it - or not. One way to check (I would not do this with zoo's particularly) - is to take the coral out of the tank and smell it - you will know if its dead.

PS. - the question is 'what is causing them to look like this' - My guess is that you're thinking it was something to do with adding them too early in a cycle. Possible. If thats the case - the 3 should slowly improve (assuming your ammonia, etc) are normal. Remember that certain soft corals can release toxins, leathers, zoo's that can affect hard corals when they are stressed. I would try to use carbon, a couple water changes to help mitigate this - and then just leave the corals alone (the living ones). Again - you will knwo - for example - if the leather coral is totally dead by smell and disintegration (eventually)

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Edit: your tank being cycled doesn’t really matter in terms of your tank being able to keep corals. Ammonia and Nitrite don’t affect corals (at least not at levels we see in aquariums). I’m guessing you’ve got some other water quality issues going on. What are your parameters?
Agree on the parameters question - and the nitrite. But - ammonia certainly affect corals negatively - especially if there is a big spike IME. Like - say a dead fish or a a large die off of 'something'. It can certainly kill hard corals - and cause others to close. again - IME

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's why I am asking. But op hasn't responded. Lava rock was the root of my problems way back when. Too many contaminants.
Not sure that looks like lava rock? Many are sold as reef safe.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep but fluctuating level could have killed the corals. Before just saying they are goners though, what is the tank like? Size lighting flow parameters, using RODI water, etc.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure that looks like lava rock? Many are sold as reef safe.
Lava rock is very high in phosphate and iron. Maybe other heavy metals as well.
I am asking, because it looks like lava rock. And it could be the source of issue here.

Attachments

• lava rock.jpg
    lava rock.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 30

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that seem dead to me is the hammer.

I would try to get rid of all that algae around the zoas. That’s really irritating them and causing them to close up.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lava rock is very high in phosphate and iron. Maybe other heavy metals as well.
I am asking, because it looks like lava rock. And it could be the source of issue here.
I know there can be contaminants in 'all rock' - I was thinking that this didn't look like lava rock - and there are some types that are marketed for aquarium use (I agree with you - I do not use it)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only thing that seem dead to me is the hammer.

I would try to get rid of all that algae around the zoas. That’s really irritating them and causing them to close up.
If the op wont get back to us with parameters, lights, and rock answers. I give up on solving the issue.
I know there can be contaminants in 'all rock' - I was thinking that this didn't look like lava rock - and there are some types that are marketed for aquarium use (I agree with you - I do not use it)
Lava rock is pretty safe freshwater since it wont strip the rock of anything. Saltwater is rough, it will strip our skin. I'm not trying to argue or anything.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i think it also looks like lava rock js
Hopefully he will answer - Some of the rock in my tank looks the same - but is definitely not lava rock. Part of it may be that these are small corals - and its hard to see

OP
OP
The_Phoenix

The_Phoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that lava rock I see in the pictures?
Two of them are lava rocks, one of them is live rock. Why am I just now being told that it’s bad? My lfs recommended it to me for “filler rock”. None of these corals have opened since I have placed them into the tank after being acclimated. You guys think that the lava rock is causing contamination such as iron and phosphate in my water that is stressing/killing the corals?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd remove the lava rock. You need to do a water change, probably 30%. See if the corals respond to that. I do not believe carbon removes iron.

Do a phosphate test as well. Run all the possible tests you can, really.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of them are lava rocks, one of them is live rock. Why am I just now being told that it’s bad? My lfs recommended it to me for “filler rock”. None of these corals have opened since I have placed them into the tank after being acclimated. You guys think that the lava rock is causing contamination such as iron and phosphate in my water that is stressing/killing the corals?
water parameters would be very helpful

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back