Are these dinos?

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a dino outbreak in the past but now I got diatoms blooming. But I think the dinos are begining to win again. I've id'd prorocentrum in the past.

Attachments

• 20220923_152941.mp4
    28.9 MB

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Not dinos. Some sort of algae. Almost looks like bryopsis with the feathery tips, but it seems more a a golden brown color. Bryopsis is usually a strong green. Can you get a clear close up pic?

At least not a normal strain of dinos. Pinch a bit off and put it in a small glass of water and swirl it around. See how it breaks up and wait and see if it reforms

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Not dinos. Some sort of algae. Almost looks like bryopsis with the feathery tips, but it seems more a a golden brown color. Bryopsis is usually a strong green. Can you get a clear close up pic?

At least not a normal strain of dinos. Pinch a bit off and put it in a small glass of water and swirl it around. See how it breaks up and wait and see if it reforms
Someone else said byopsis too, they are definitely a diatom rusty brown, but I can't get too clear of a photo. Sorry. Every time I took one my clown jumped right in front. They follow me around the tank like homing missiles.

20220923_160831.jpg 20220923_160819.jpg 20220923_160818.jpg 20220923_160816.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you've got a hair algae (gha, bryopsis etc) covered by a brown microalgae (dino or diatom). in that much growth it could be a mix of a lot of things.

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else said byopsis too, they are definitely a diatom rusty brown, but I can't get too clear of a photo. Sorry. Every time I took one my clown jumped right in front. They follow me around the tank like homing missiles.

20220923_160831.jpg 20220923_160819.jpg 20220923_160818.jpg 20220923_160816.jpg
Yeah that's definitely a couple things. Looks like what's going on in my nano tank atm once I seen your backwall pic. I have some hair algae in there and this golden bacterial type algae is growing on it and the backwall.

I'm not well versed in crysophytes, but that's what I belive is going on in my nano tank that i just kinda let it do whatever it does, and definitely looks similar to what you've got.
20220923_172409.jpg
20220923_172428.jpg

If you have a skimmer, I'd suggest blowing scraping all that stuff into the water column and with a fine fish net scooping as much as you can out manually during that for like 5 or 10 minutes then add coral snow and cyano clean and dial the skimmer to skim a bit heavier.
20220923_173409.jpg

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's definitely a couple things. Looks like what's going on in my nano tank atm once I seen your backwall pic. I have some hair algae in there and this golden bacterial type algae is growing on it and the backwall.

I'm not well versed in crysophytes, but that's what I belive is going on in my nano tank that i just kinda let it do whatever it does, and definitely looks similar to what you've got.
20220923_172409.jpg
20220923_172428.jpg

If you have a skimmer, I'd suggest blowing scraping all that stuff into the water column and with a fine fish net scooping as much as you can out manually during that for like 5 or 10 minutes then add coral snow and cyano clean and dial the skimmer to skim a bit heavier.
20220923_173409.jpg
What does coral snow do?

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a floculant.. it's basically just chalk powder. No negative effects so long as you follow dosing guidelines. Basically it binds up waterborne organics into larger particles making it easier for the skimmer to pull out of the tank.
The cyano clean is a bacterial strain that can outcompete other bacteria like cyano.
I believe crysophytes are bacterial in nature

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a floculant.. it's basically just chalk powder. No negative effects so long as you follow dosing guidelines. Basically it binds up waterborne organics into larger particles making it easier for the skimmer to pull out of the tank.
The cyano clean is a bacterial strain that can outcompete other bacteria like cyano.
I believe crysophytes are bacterial in nature
Ok, I'm a broke college student, so I'll get it if I can afford them. Thank you. So you believe it's some sort of hair algae but with either a dinos or diatoms mixed in?

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Possibly diatoms... but I think crysophytes. Diatoms usually are on the sand in my experience. I've also battled against a couple strains of dinos before and they've never been a golden color. Usually dark brown and slimy. Sometimes red-brown.

Well yeah and those are German products that aren't exactly cheap. But if you want to do some research, I believe the coral snow really is just chalk powder so you may be able to source it very cheaply... don't take my word for that, it's something I recall reading a couple years ago so maybe ask a chemist at college or someone here who knows better.
And you could probably replace the cyano clean with something like microbacter7 as it will also compete for the no3 and po4 in the water so that stuff has a harder time getting it.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Possibly diatoms... but I think crysophytes. Diatoms usually are on the sand in my experience. I've also battled against a couple strains of dinos before and they've never been a golden color. Usually dark brown and slimy. Sometimes red-brown.

Well yeah and those are German products that aren't exactly cheap. But if you want to do some research, I believe the coral snow really is just chalk powder so you may be able to source it very cheaply... don't take my word for that, it's something I recall reading a couple years ago so maybe ask a chemist at college or someone here who knows better.
And you could probably replace the cyano clean with something like microbacter7 as it will also compete for the no3 and po4 in the water so that stuff has a harder time getting it.
I'm using plenty of mb7 currently. I've had dinos so I'm quite familiar with what it usually looks like.

I'm just gonna continue my dino treatment until I do some more research. Thank you.

Back