Are these tiles safe to use?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone. Hope everyone is safe and doing well.

Got a question for some frag tiles. I have a 50 gallon low boy and I am going to remove the frag rack to place tiles for growing out colonies. I bought some travertine tiles from Lowe's and I am going to cut them in half. Do you think these would be safe to use? I was going to soak them for a week also if you think that is necessary?

20200330_193751.jpg

20200330_193805.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re fine, but unless you have a saw they’re hard to cut...

No need to soak, just give them a good rinse.

I seen where I can use my grinder to cut them. I am going to give that a try tomorrow.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen where I can use my grinder to cut them. I am going to give that a try tomorrow.
If you’re just trying to cut them to make them smaller that’s different. You can actually just score them, then put a piece of wire (like a hanger you get from the dry cleaners) under the score and snap them right in two.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re just trying to cut them to make them smaller that’s different. You can actually just score them, then put a piece of wire (like a hanger you get from the dry cleaners) under the score and snap them right in two.

What do you use to score them? Razor blade?

Cuong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pure travertine works great. Just make sure you get the ones without the filling in them. If it's holey, its good.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I cut the tiles and have soaked these tiles in vinegar and RODI water for a week. I scrubbed them last night to get any powdery residue off. They are now soaking in a bucket of Tank water and Nitrifying bacteria. I know its a little much but just making sure.

My question is most look the same except for a couple. A couple of them have some deep orange spots along with some black lines, etc. Are those safe to use or should I just toss them?

What most look like
20200413_211507.jpg

What a couple others look like
20200413_211537.jpg

20200413_211524.jpg

20200413_211517.jpg

20200413_211553.jpg

Last edited:

Snorkelsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the natural coloring of the stone. They should be fine to use. I have used them a lot in the past and all I ever did was give them a good rinse.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use them all the time. They cut up great on the Griphon Band saw...

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a tile blade on my angle grinder. Worked perfectly. Just worried that they might leach something into the water. I will go ahead and throw them in.

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been alright for the past few years using them. Just rinse off the dust

Naso180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using them in a flat a few months ago. I only used the ones that were really white. Now BAM! Dynoflagellates! Anybody know if these leach silica? I thought my water would be too "dirty" to support dyno's. I'm using the BRS 7-stage RO-DI and replace my media way before they say I should. 0 TDI on the meter so if there is a silica problem it's not from my water.

Water params are:
SG: 1.026
Nitrates 6.0 ppm - Red Sea test kit
Phosphate - .15ppm - Hanna Checker
Ca - 445 - Red Seat test kit
dkh - 9.5 - Hanna Checker
Ph - 24 hour range 7.99 - 8.29 - recently calibrated Apex
Mg - 1,200 ppm

I'm treating with Dr. Tim's now, but if the tiles are part of it, I'll get rid of them. I will be buying a Silicate test kit, but wondered if anybody knew.

Naso180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them. Never had an issue.
Just to follow up... My dynos didn't come from silicate. The tilese seem to be safe. I tested for Silicate in my system with a Seachem test using the method for low range and the level was undetectable. I think it probably wasn't 0, but it was so low that I couldn't detect it with this kit.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to follow up... My dynos didn't come from silicate. The tilese seem to be safe. I tested for Silicate in my system with a Seachem test using the method for low range and the level was undetectable. I think it probably wasn't 0, but it was so low that I couldn't detect it with this kit.
They do build up a little slime coating on them shortly after putting them into the tank but you get the same thing if putting new plugs or rock in. It’s just really more noticeable on a whiter flat surface. It’s just bacteria staking their claim. I have always just taken the pack and soaked in RODI in a bucket for a week changing every day. I do the same with plugs and rock as well. Just a habit.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these come out cheaper than the frag plugs? Also can anyone point me to where I can get the smaller versions of these, or do you guys just break them up yourself?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back